"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-10-2008, 09:16 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Thank God you guys are safe!
There wasn't even a warning for ppossible tornado conditions??

Since moving to Ohio we have had several sirens go off for possible tornado conditions, to make sure everyone is prepared just in case. And I was told we live in an area that VERY rarely gets tornados due to its not very flat around here. But because I have never experienced a tornado I freak out each time.
With were you live being more prone to tornados wouldn't they (the news/weather crew) have a better idea when to possibly be on the lookout and give you guys a heads up??

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:38 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
Thank God you guys are safe!
There wasn't even a warning for ppossible tornado conditions??

Since moving to Ohio we have had several sirens go off for possible tornado conditions, to make sure everyone is prepared just in case. And I was told we live in an area that VERY rarely gets tornados due to its not very flat around here. But because I have never experienced a tornado I freak out each time.
With were you live being more prone to tornados wouldn't they (the news/weather crew) have a better idea when to possibly be on the lookout and give you guys a heads up??
Hey Dee, we have a weather alert radio that gives us warning & watches for severe thunderstorms & tornados. It gave an alert earlier in the day warning for severe thunderstorms and around here there is ALWAYS a threat of tornados when we have severe thunderstorms. We dont have sirens, basically its up to me to keep watch for a tornado, which is difficult because up until now, Ive never experienced one! Supposedly when a tornado is near, it gets eerily calm(no wind) and then it sounds like a train coming. I didnt hear anything, nor did I see anything......it was pouring so bad I couldnt see my driveway!
Now Im paranoid, everytime we have a storm Im gonna be a mess!

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:46 AM   #13
Executive Chef

We get so many Tornado watches and warnings around here that it doesn't faze me much. I will pay attention to warnings, taking note of locations, directions, and speed. If it's headed my way, I pay VERY close attention to it. If it's not headed my way, I go back to what I was doing.

However, a twister "out of the blue" is indeed a troublesome event, no matter how big or small.

What they teach us around here is to take shelter in an interior room on the ground floor, such as a bathroom or coat closet. If you are outside and one spins up from "out of the blue", take shelter in the lowest possible spot you can, such as a ditch. Underneath overpasses are NOT a good idea, as they create a wind tunnel effect.

Around here, they've started selling "safe rooms" that can either be built into a new home, or added to an existing home, typically in the garage. They bolt down to the concrete pad / foundation, and the walls are strong enough to resist impact damage from EF-5 winds. This, or course, is in addition to storm cellars (commonly called "Fraidy Holes") that were dropped into a lot of the back yards of older homes many years ago.

I have a "disaster kit" in the master bathroom (our "fraidy hole"). It consists of a battery-powered radio, blanket, and a few candles. I made that many, many years ago, right after the May 3td 1999 outbreak. This is the system that spawned an F-5 that went through Moore, OK, and OkC OK. The last tornado of the day came within 1/4 mile of my place at that time.

I really need to update that kit. I believe I used all of the candles when we lost power last December in the ice storm. We do have a few more battery-powered flashlights and lanterns. My radio was actually one of those hand-cranked rechargables, AM/FM, flashlight, strobe, etc. The dynamo on it is broken. I'll need to see about replacing it. I really should get some cheap shoes that everyone can wear, in case we have to take shelter before we can put on shoes. A case of bottled water is always a good idea, as are a few MRE's.
Old 10-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I don't understand how you guys do not have warning sirens there?? We have them and you guys are so much more prone to them?? It doesn't make sense to me?
I certainly understand your fear, being a mother, all you can think about is keeping your babies safe! So just be sure you are as prepared for the worst as possible. That is why I started stocking my emergency supplies and first aid as well as reading up on what to do in different situations. Even if I will never actually use them at least it gives me a peace of mind that I am as prepared as I can be!

deelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to GrantsKat
Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
I don't understand how you guys do not have warning sirens there?? We have them and you guys are so much more prone to them?? It doesn't make sense to me?
I certainly understand your fear, being a mother, all you can think about is keeping your babies safe! So just be sure you are as prepared for the worst as possible. That is why I started stocking my emergency supplies and first aid as well as reading up on what to do in different situations. Even if I will never actually use them at least it gives me a peace of mind that I am as prepared as I can be!

They give out the weather alert radios for free, so I guess thats supposed to be considered the "siren" lol
I guess since I dont have the option to move, I'll have to stay prepared! It doesnt help that Im a big scared wuss

Babymaker
GrantsKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #16
Sous Chef

So sorry that happened ! I'm glad you are okay!

B'sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:56 AM   #17
Master Chef

Back when my kids were babies, most people had cast iron bath tubs and iron water pipes, so if you didn't have a basement, you put the babies in the bath tub.
In these days of plastic pipes and fiberglass tubs, I don't think that would do much good.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Having the boys there I know made you terrified..But just be glad you could be with them and keep them as safe as possible. It makes me glad to hear all of you got through this and that all of you are unharmed..Hugs all round and one extra for a scared but brave mom.
kadesma
Old 10-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Wow! What a scary adventure!!! Glad it's over and you're all safe and sound.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #20
Master Chef

Sorry to hear about your carport. Good thing is you and your family are safe.