A whopping $29,000++ /pax Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
Check out this article on a very recent dinner held here in Bangkok, attended by high-rolling international foodies:

Decadent dinner

Here's the 10-course menu:

First course:
Creme brulee of foie gras with Tonga beans
1990 Louis Roederer Cristal
chef: Alain Soliveres from Taillevent in Paris, France

Second course:
Tartare of Kobe beef with Imperial Beluga caviar and Belon oysters
1995 Krug Clos du Mesnil
chef: Antoine Westermann from Le Buerhiesel in Strasbourg, France

Third course:
Mousseline of "pattes rouges" crayfish with morel mushroom infusion
2000 Corton-Charlemagne, Domaine Jean Fran?ois Coche-Dury
chef: Alain Soliveres from Taillevent

Fourth course:
"Tarte fine" with scallops and black truffles
1996 Le Montrachet, Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
chef: Antoine Westermann from Le Buerhiesel

Fifth course:
Brittany Lobster "Osso Bucco"
1985 Romanee-Conti, Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
chef: Jean-Michel Lorain from La Cote Saint Jacques in Joigny, France

Sixth course:
Ravioli with guinea fowl and burrata cheese with a veal and truffle sauce
1961 Chateau Palmer
chef: Annie Feolde from Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence, Italy

Seventh course:
Saddle of lamb "Leonel"
1959 Chateau Mouton Rothschild
chef: Marc Meneau from L’Esperance in Vezelay, France

Eighth course:
Sorbet "Dom Perignon"
Supreme of pigeon en croute with cepes mushroom sauce and cipollotti
1961 Chateau Haut-Brion
chef: Heinz Winkler from Residenz Heinz Winkler in Aschau, Germany

Ninth course:
Veal cheeks with Perigord truffles
1955 Chateau Latour
chef: Heinz Winkler from Residenz Heinz Winkler

Tenth course:
Imperial gingerbread pyramid with caramel and salted butter ice-cream
1967 Chateau d’Yquem
chef: Jean-Michel Lorain from La Cote Saint Jacques

My goodness, people! Don't you ever have any fun? After all, each person's portion of the meal was only $725 plus tax and tip. Isn't that chump change for most of us? Holy cow, Batman!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Where's my checkbook?

You know, I think I heard something about this in the backround on the tv or radio this week. The dinner tab total caught my attention but that's all the details that I caught.

Katie E said:
My goodness, people! Don't you ever have any fun? After all, each person's portion of the meal was only $725 plus tax and tip. Isn't that chump change for most of us? Holy cow, Batman!!!:LOL::ROFLMAO: Where's my checkbook?
My bad. It was late and I stand corrected. Guess my bank account would suffer a bit if I were one of the participants. Besides, I think I'd need a nap somewhere along the line with all the courses.

And, you're right, $725 would be pocket change for those diiners.

Of the 10 courses, 5 have some form of mushroom or truffles. I just found that kind of interesting.

GB said:
Of the 10 courses, 5 have some form of mushroom or truffles. I just found that kind of interesting.

Great observation GB! Three of the dishes had truffles and two had mushrooms. Isn't repeating flavours kind of a no-no in good menu planning? Talk about too many (famous) cooks ;). At least they took care not to let the same ingredient-dishes come right after the other.

I've savored Alain Soliveres' food at the Taillevant. It was truly exquisite. To this day it is the best, most memorable gourmet meal I've ever had. Now if only I had 1 million baht chump change... :rolleyes: :pig: but then again, my conscience might not be able to handle it... I'm sure I can think of many other ways to which I can put a million baht to slightly better use.

Snoop Puss said:
The other thing that struck me was: so much for "molecular gastronomy"!

:ROFLMAO: Talk about reaching for the convenient sledge hammer -- foie gras, kobe beef, and truffles!

Whenever I see chefs using these ingredients in Ironchef, I can't help thinking they're kinda cheating. Y'know what I mean?

Chopstix said:
:ROFLMAO: Talk about reaching for the convenient sledge hammer -- foie gras, kobe beef, and truffles!

They're going to be hard pressed to get their five portions of fruit and vegetables a day eating like that. I wonder how much cholesterol they'll be getting? Might as well call it the "heart attack on a plate" dinner.:ohmy: Bet real Thai food is a whole heap healthier.

If you will all pitch in for the cost of the meal, I'll pay for my own flight and hotel to eat it and to report back. That would only be about $5 from each member.
Thanks guys!!!

Swann said:
If you will all pitch in for the cost of the meal, I'll pay for my own flight and hotel to eat it and to report back. That would only be about $5 from each member.
Thanks guys!!!

What a sacrifice and a true friend! And you're on the west coast so airfare won't be quite as expensive for you! :LOL: Only if you'll take pictures too!

Yea Katie E. I knew you read that wrong but your math skills are impeccable! :LOL: :-p I guarantee most of these people make/earn more than $29,000.00 in far less than any given 12-24 hour period - I want that kinda chump change! :ermm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom