"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2005, 09:35 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Aaron Sanchez Vs Morimoto

Well Im watching this one on Iron chef right now and so far it's been very impressive. Personally Im very torn since I come from a town in Mexico with a high Japanese population but of course Morimoto does have TONS of experience.

One thing that's bugging me so far is how little people know about mexican cooking despite how elegant it can be. Even Alton Brown is stumped by a lot of the non "generic latin" sauces being used for example something that was clearly an Adobo (orange juice, ajiote paste, red chilli) and the classic red onion and lemon garnish.

Well the show is back... so I'll be back in 10.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
A... TIE?! Huh... makes me wish they had the half hour tie breaker like they did in Japan.

Either way here's the rest of my impressions.

First I've seen way too much Iron Chef. As soon as I saw the extruder with buckwheat paste and ground fish I knew it was going to become noodles. Still all in all I felt that Morimoto was going to win, but then again I had no way to picture the flavor of Black Bass in my head... I've simply never had it. After hearing the judges descriptions I figured that maybe he did misscalculate a few choices.

Question: any one else feel that the "ceviche" was a carpaccio? I mean who puts oil in ceviche? Otherwise mr Sanchez was great. The biggest suprise was how exotic a really mundane dish can seem... My family used to have the same fried fish tacos (with mayo and pickled red onion) at least once a week... minus the fancier greens.

Still Im very satisfied and slightly relieved that neither lost.

As for the selection of judges I prefer it over the older shows... these people seemed more like the original Iron chef (mostly artists instead of critics) and Im glad to finally see a real celeb on the pannel (Paquito).

Old 10-24-2005, 08:44 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I have not watched Iron Chef in quite a while, but this match sounded interesting. I really like Aaron Sanchez. His food always looks so good!