"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
Head Chef

Abbreviations, Punctuation, Following the Crowd on the WWW

Way back when I had aol, I started abbreviating words (taking short cuts for internet discussions). It caught on in a huge way. For internet purposes, I thought it was an easy/ez (yeah I'm using the slash and an easy abbrev, lol) shortcut to say what I wanted to say, without spelling it out. I did some proofreading in my time, & used dots, dashes, slashes when appropriate. I'm starting to see so many slashes, dots & hyphens. I'm wondering how many people just follow the internet crowd in what is popular, but incorrect.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Follow the "internet crowd"? Do you mean write down things the way they might type them online?
Personally speaking. I do not know how to type, so I try not to use internet or text messaging abreviations only because that won't help me remember where all the keys are

Old 12-02-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thank God I was forced to take typing in junior high. I never did typing very well but I do use both hands and don't have to look at the keyboard very often. It used to take me forever to type my papers in college - had to retype a page several times because of the numerous errors.

Yep, I know on chatrooms people use a lot of abbreviations. But there one has to respond quickly.

Here we do not. So generally I just type the words, it does not take very much longer at all.

Just may tqke on things.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

And I thank the devil I was allowed to drop out of my Jr High typing class, auntdot
back then, who woulda thunk?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I do not follow the crowd, or anyone that does.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #6
Head Chef

I hd a jb 1nc nd we wr rqrd to tk nts lk ths.
It is actly prty ez 2 rd & typ lk ths aftr a whl.

As for the "internet and text" languages, I am illiterate.

Mavis Beacon's CD finally taught me to touch type at the age of 45.
My high school guidance counselor told me that typing wasn't a college
pre-requisite.

Yes, she did hear from me the first college Christmas break..... once I finished
the 20 page report I had to TYPE!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrr
Old 12-02-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
Executive Chef

The written word, as a genuine form of communication, has rapidly become a lost art. I will not compound the loss by following any internet crowd. Students today, as indeed, most of adult society, have lost the ability to construct a correct letter, do not send thank you notes, and rarely issue written invitations.

I desire no part of abbreviations or slang conversations.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:21 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I agree that most students today do not write letters, Thank You notes,or invitations. Who is to blame? It's not all the students fault, Parents are the ones to teach them. My daughter graduated last June and when I told her to write Thank Yous she tried the excuss that nobody did that any more. I told her maybe nobody did, but she was going to. I had two other parents say that the only reason their kids sent one is because my daughter did. I told my daughter just because we have the internet and the phone, it means more to receive a hand written note.
My daughter always asks why I don't use the computer slang, I just tell her I'm not a kid and I don't know what half the stuff means anyway. She's learned that when she is talking to her Gram or I on the computer she uses full words.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I think for the internet the abbreviations are inappropriate for adults. I have put more than one person on ignore when all they would do is speak in their "netspeak." I find the whole internet speak a sign of great laziness and don't approve of it at all. There are phrases, LOL, (two cursing acronyms deleted) are okay, but the 2 and U and UR are ridiculous.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Hmm I get thank you notes from all student age kids that I know when I give them something worthy of a thank you note.

As for written invitations, evites are a much more efficient, less expensive, better method for inviting people. An evite is instant, does not cost any money, and automatically tracks who is coming, not coming, or possibly coming. I see nothing wrong with using technology for that.