"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-09-2005, 04:04 PM   #11
Everymom

Sort of an errant thought...but I want your opinions on it.

I don't hear of ADHD in cultures that are not as um...industrialized as we are. I sort of wonder if ADHD is only considered a detriment in our type of society and if it is not somehow inextricably linked to the hunting genes in the brain? Men are much more affected than women and it would appear to me that ADHD would be a definite asset to a hunter. So, what do you think?

Old 11-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
Head Chef

They now think that a lot of famous leaders had ADD or ADHD, it was just never diagnosed then, I'm trying to think of examples but my pregnancy brain has blanked them!!! I have a feeling one was Napoleon. Its like Aspergers syndrome, once you label it then it seems to become more of a "problem" sometimes than just a personality trait. I think the hardest time for people with ADD and ADHD is their school years because we really expect everyone to conform to a certain extent and they don't "fit in" as well but later on when they get out into the world they can make their own niche and be fulfillled. (hope that makes sense) I have seen some children helped brilliantly by medication whilst others it doesn't work for, for some kids diet can make a major difference too.

Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 PM   #13
Everymom

mrsmac! Good to see you back! I didn't realize you were expecting, congratulations!

I agree with you about the labelling thing. I sometimes wish we would label a bit less often. I HAVE however seen children respond amazingly well to medications. They (meds) need to be dispensed only by a psychiatrist IMHO though. Very often GPs miss the mark a bit. No offense intended to the GPs, I respect them immensely! I just believe this is more specialized and needs to be treated as such.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:26 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

i don't want to insult anyone here, as i am far from being any kind of expert on this, but it seems that add/adhd may be getting over-diagnosed. of course there are true undeniable cases of this. but, as mrsmac said (btw, congrats, when?), some of it appears to be a personality trait, and not a detrimental syndrome. i am completely scatterbrained in the normal world, to the point that i've actually looked down to see if i remebered to put on pants while standing in line at the market (for a split second it is a very uncomfortable thought, no kidding! hey, it's hard to remember all of the stuff i need to pick up, AND get dressed). but i have always been able to apply myself without too much effort on higher order type of intellectual pursuits, so i don't think i have add, or adhd, but that i'm just rather weird.
do you think the labelling of such, especially with children, could be as detrimental as the actual disease?
i wonder if a different type of educational system would work, such as montessori and the like.
as i said, i hope i have not offended anyone who suffers from, or who cares for someone with add. just my thoughts on this.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 05:03 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Not offended at all
one of the things I like most about
this site is hearing other opinions.

And I do agree that putting lables on kids/people is bad but... it's the way of the world. We just have to learn to deal with it.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:58 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I agree. Labels can be bad. Recently I came upon my old grade school report cards. After reading through them I realizes I had been afflicted with this all my life. Many comments like "Chris is a great student. Very smart. If only he would apply himself more." were the common thread from kindergarden to my senior year in HS. Now that I am on meds I have noticed a difference in tackling my projects. Most of them now actually get done. I still can't read a book through to the end. I'm sure it will happen though in due time.

And, to be more specific, I have been diagnosed with ADHD, OCD, and depression. I know that sounds like I'm a basket case but you wouldn't know it if we just met and are hanging out somewhere. I have pretty good control over most of my emotions and OCD ticks. I still have to wash my hands all the time, especially AFTER a meal. Wierd, huh?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:07 PM   #17
Contest Winner

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i don't want to insult anyone here, as i am far from being any kind of expert on this, but it seems that add/adhd may be getting over-diagnosed. of course there are true undeniable cases of this. but, as mrsmac said (btw, congrats, when?), some of it appears to be a personality trait, and not a detrimental syndrome. i am completely scatterbrained in the normal world, to the point that i've actually looked down to see if i remebered to put on pants while standing in line at the market (for a split second it is a very uncomfortable thought, no kidding! hey, it's hard to remember all of the stuff i need to pick up, AND get dressed). but i have always been able to apply myself without too much effort on higher order type of intellectual pursuits, so i don't think i have add, or adhd, but that i'm just rather weird.
do you think the labelling of such, especially with children, could be as detrimental as the actual disease?
i wonder if a different type of educational system would work, such as montessori and the like.
as i said, i hope i have not offended anyone who suffers from, or who cares for someone with add. just my thoughts on this.
Maybe ADHD is a man thing like Alix said, It might be a man thing ?????
It's one of those had to be theres !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I had to take Ritalin when I was a young boy !
Old 11-11-2005, 08:47 AM   #18
Senior Cook

I definitely think it is more readily diagnosed in males but I think it affects everyone equally.

I know this sounds weirsd but it's kinda comforting to see that there are quite a few people here with experience on the subject. Anyone put anymore thought into if they feel theyre cooking is a result of their ADD / ADHD?
Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 PM   #19
Contest Winner

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home chef
I definitely think it is more readily diagnosed in males but I think it affects everyone equally.

I know this sounds weirsd but it's kinda comforting to see that there are quite a few people here with experience on the subject. Anyone put anymore thought into if they feel theyre cooking is a result of their ADD / ADHD?
That could be although I think the "LOCKED IN" mode is there and when you are ADHD I think things that interest you become the "LOCKED IN" things that you excel in !
Old 11-12-2005, 01:50 AM   #20
Head Chef

All of the ADHD children I have known have been characterised by the fact they don't "lock in" to anything, one psychiatrist told me that this was a symptom of full blown ADD/ HD was that they can't concentrate on anything even if it really interests them. I have also noticed that all the ADD children I have known are boys, it is much more common in boys for some reason. Sometimes here people use it as a convenient diagnosis for bad behaviour and undisciplined children which is sad for those children who are truly affected, we went through a phase where doctors were mady medicating every child but that has changed now thankfully. I have noticed in teaching we are seeing much more Aspergers syndrome than ADD now, you start wondering about labelling fads sometimes don't you?
Anyway sorry to rave on, thanks for the congrats too, I'm not due til 5th June but we are all very excited.