"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-08-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

ADD or ADHD a bit long.

I didn't really know where to start this thread. I figure this is as good a place as any.

A little about myself... I'm 34 years old and have been cooking since I was 4. Obviousely I was not creating elaborate meals but at that age I was trusted in the kitchen with the stove, knives, fridge, etc. I love cooking. I feel I truly have a passion for it. Right now I'm in the middle of building a kitchen in my barn. I call it my ultimate kitchen. It will have 2 of everything including a lounge area and wine cellar. More about my kitchen in a different thread.

Anyway, about 6 months ago I was diagnosed with Adult ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder). I have been on meds and have been seeing a therapist since my diagnosis. One of my biggest problems is I had no self control to simply sit down and read a book to the very end. I didn't do well in school but I scored very highly on my SAT's.

My day job is I'm a carpenter. I also own a party rental business. While talking to my therapist I told him I was very interested in cooking. He then told me that many ADHDers find comfort in cooking because even though recipes are followed, they can be easily changed / modified at the chef's will. That really made sense to me.

With that said... Does anyone else here suffer from ADD or ADHD? If so, do you notice the symptoms while cooking? Do you feel more at home while cooking? Enlighten me please

Old 11-08-2005, 07:31 PM   #2
Master Chef

My youngest son has ADHD, but, I don't let him in the kitchen too often
Not because of the ADHD, but, because, the kitchen is my area and I don't want anyone messing with it.
He does cook sometimes, he will not read directions, he just wants me to tell him how to do it. I'll have to ask him how he feels when he's cooking.

Old 11-08-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I don't have it quite that bad. The problem I see with most ADHDers is that they have a problem with precision. Cooking isn't nearly as precise as, say, brain surgery. That's probably why I love to cook stir fry and casseroles so much That's also why I never really had a fondness for baking. Baking is way too involved and intricate for me to absorb.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:51 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My son also is ADD... he's 21 now and
he's a pretty good cook. But will not read a recipe either.
He calls quite often to ask me how to make something. I tell
him and he does it his way. His way is sometimes better than mine.
He really has come up with some good stuff.
School involved reading and concentraiting... He hated it. He's a very creative boy. I think that's why he likes to cook. He doesn't do much baking either Home Chef. Like you said "it's too involved."

I don't know how he feels while he's cooking but
I do know that if he makes something that he really likes
it makes him feel proud and happy. That's good for everyone but
I think it's really important for him to find things he's good at since he feels like he's 'not good enough" at other things.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:32 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife
I think it's really important for him to find things he's good at since he feels like he's 'not good enough" at other things.
That's exactly how I feel. I'm far from a perfectionist but I never seem to be satisfied with my work outside of cooking.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:37 AM   #6
Contest Winner

Smile

I too have ADHD. Writing helps, it slows you down and makes you think deeper thoughts. I read more now than I ever did, But I have to be interested in what I am reading, You too may find this to be true !
Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #7
Sous Chef

im a 34 year old guy with this odd combo: ADD and OCD (obsesive compulsive disorder).

basicaly i have a very hard time concentrating on any one thing and I get distracted very easily. but when i do "lock in" on something...i get complete tunnel vision and cannot be pulled away until the mission is complete.

its has its ups and downs as you can imagine.

however...i have always had a love for cooking, and until now, never realy thought much about the logic in your post...but it certainly makes sence!

ADD'ers of the world unite and feed the hungry!!
Old 11-09-2005, 12:26 PM   #8
Everymom

Just moved this to the chat section out of the jokes section. This is too serious to be joke material.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy27
im a 34 year old guy with this odd combo: ADD and OCD (obsesive compulsive disorder).

basicaly i have a very hard time concentrating on any one thing and I get distracted very easily. but when i do "lock in" on something...i get complete tunnel vision and cannot be pulled away until the mission is complete.
THAT is Maidrite to a tee!

Barbara
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM   #10
Master Chef

My son is fine as long as he's doing something. He loves to draw. He's very good at it too. I might just get him in the kitchen with me more often and see what he thinks about cooking.