"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2011, 01:45 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Well thank you so very much. I try my best. It makes it easier that I don't have a job outside the home.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

The food dye is such a very difficult one (ironically I am a cake decorator ) because it is in drinks, candy, cake decorations, you name it! You become very adept at label reading!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Ya its even harder doing that when I have the kids with you in the store.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #14
Master Chef

I feel so sorry for people who have to provide food for children these days. I went through the public school system in several states and the DODDS system as well, and don't remember anyone having problems. That isn't to say they didn't happen. A couple of years ago I made a jello cake using diet jello, sugarless angel food cake, and cool whip with lots of fresh fruit and it was the hit of the party because diabetes is becoming such a problem and this did it for a lot of people (and children love it!). But although it is an old family favorite, it wouldn't work for you because of the dye. But I do NOT know how a parent or grand throwing a party for a half-dozen or ten kids could do it nowadays. Out of ten kids it seems 7 have special dietary needs, and I simply can't imagine doing it. I have enough problems with my adult friends whose problems I have to work around, but at least they are old enough to decide for themselves what they can and cannot eat, or what is in a questionable (for them) food.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Well I can do fresh fruit jus not the jello. And the bad part about it isn't at home but at school. He will have to eat breakfast at home. Bring his lunch to school nxt yr. And beginning of yr give school note about his diet so more than likely ill have to provide is snack in afternoon. And be a room mom for parties so he isn't given candy. Which I might add they say they want a well balanced meals at school but at the parties have so much candy I don't get it. And that on top of once a month having to go up their to give meds to school nurse so he gets his noon dosage. Yes its hard & it a long road. But im willing to do what best for my son.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:51 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac

Stubbs, you can take clear gelatin and turn it into something for your son. I will see if I can find the recipe but it is very tasty, and healthy. Can he have dairy products?

Old 06-01-2011, 03:54 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Yes he can!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:01 PM   #18
Certified Cake Maniac

I am getting ready to go out but will look for it when I get back and PM the recipe to you!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Thank you! Have a great time!
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #20
Master Chef

It seems like a lot of work right now but once you get things set up you will get into a routine and he will learn what he can and cannot eat. Use the nurse and the teacher to help you monitor him while he's at school. Funnel energy into things he likes and limit the activities that bring out the worst. Know that school will be tough enough because he's a boy and he's ADHD. Be prepared for many teacher conferences. You will have to fight many battles for him but if you can get creative teachers, he'll do fine. These guys do grow up and become fine adults and usually end up finding careers that cater to their frenetic ever changing attention spans. You can PM me if you ever need to vent to a parent who understands.

Tags
diet, sugar