Adios Los Angeles!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ironchef

Executive Chef
Well, without going into too much detail, I'll be moving back to Hawaii this week. I got a job at a hotel, this time in charge of the front of the house as opposed to the kitchen. As Chef Jimmy would probably say, I'll be working for the "dark side" now.

To make a long story short, I was getting a little burnt out in the kitchen so I figured this wouuld be a good change of scenery, plus I'll get to learn more about what goes on in the front of the house operations, which will be very, very helpful if I ever decide to open up my own place one day.

I'll defnitely miss the Mexican food since Hawaii has absolutely crap for Mexican restaurants. LA was sure fun though and I do want to go back one day. Maybe it will be to open up a new restaurant? Who knows? We'll see.

Well, Ironchef, I wish you luck. Which island will you be on? I would love to move to the islands, even for a little while, but, I think if I went, I wouldn't want to come back. LOL.

Best of luck, ironchef! It sounds like it will be an interesting and challenging change for you. And what a wonderful place to be going back to! Maybe you and Wasabi can meet!:)

Best of luck, Happy you are following a new dream, just don't leave us without your expertise..Hope all you are looking for is there for you.

kadesma:)

Thank you for everyone's thoughts!

Amber, yes front of the house refers to the dining room aspect. I won't be completely lost as I was a waiter for a few years in college, and we used to run the dining room in culinary school. Plus, I would always try to involve myself with the waitstaff and restaurant manager wherever I worked. It won't be too much of a stretch.

Texasgirl, I'll be moving back to Oahu.

IC, it's great to be involved in the dining area actually! You get to know your clientele. Plus, who wouldnt love living on Oahu! So your ultimate goal seems to be living in LA and opening a restaurant there, which sounds great.

Hope to see you back on DC soon once you make your move. Oh and I love seeing your photos of foods you cook, so next time maybe it will be photos of Hawaii, and the dining area:)

amber said:
IC, it's great to be involved in the dining area actually! You get to know your clientele. Plus, who wouldnt love living on Oahu! So your ultimate goal seems to be living in LA and opening a restaurant there, which sounds great.

Hope to see you back on DC soon once you make your move. Oh and I love seeing your photos of foods you cook, so next time maybe it will be photos of Hawaii, and the dining area:)

I think if I had my ultimate location to open up a restaurant, I would choose somewhere in North Central California like Carmel or Pacific Grove, mainly because it is near the ocean although Sonoma would be nice since Sonoma county stretches all the way until the ocean and they do have some quaint beach towns there. But, location also includes clientele and I think my food may be more suited to the clientele that a city like Los Angeles, SF, Seattle, etc. gets.

Congratulations! You are moving to an awsome place anyway and you can always come back to silicone capitol! Keep us posted on how your new job goes.

Good luck buddy, i can't believe you are leaving the kitchen but anyone that works in this industry understands the "burned out" aspect of the kitchen. You'll be back, but it is definately good to get a break not to mention learning more, after all that s what it's all about!

Congratulations for the new exciting opportunity and the fresh new page in your own journey, IC!! You are a talented guy, I wish you all the best, and I hope one day, not only your being able to go back to LA, you will be able to visit, see and experience many many different places in the world to enhance your life!!

sounds good, ironchef. Hope your move doesn't mean we are losing you in this little family. I always get inspired by and get good advice from you.

Thanks again. I've actually worked at this hotel in past as a line cook about 3 years ago. My position is going to be similar to my Chef Tournant position that I have now, in the sense that I will be floating around the various restaurant outlets and I won't be assigned just one particular location. I fly out in a few hours and arrive in Honolulu at around 8:30ish HST.

Good for you and good luck !!
Hawaii was your home when we first met on line here on DC. (If my memory serves me right..LOL ) At that time you worked at a beautiful Hotel.
Dove

WHAT?!!! Trading in drive-by shootings, daily freeway police-pursuits and smog for living on a tropical island & a paycheck? What one has to sacrifice for one's career. j/k. Good luck, IC. La-La land will (hopefully) still be here when you get back. Not easy to pull up stakes and relocate. I admire your courage. :)

Toodles for now.

Well...back home. I'll be staying at my parent's house for awhile until I can find my own place. Rent here is through the roof right now so I'm not going to be in any rush I think.

Right now it's 88 degree, sunny, nice breeze. Here's the view from the deck at my parent's house. Doesn't look like the atypical paradise does it?

Attachments

• viewofhonolulu.jpg
    viewofhonolulu.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 209

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom