"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-01-2006, 04:34 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Now, THAT is brave and adventurous, Kyles

Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 AM   #12
Executive Chef

When I was younger, I fulfilled an ambition to visit Petra 'the rose red city, halfas old as time'. It was an awe-inspiring visit - had to get there on donkey-back in those days... the gorge is amazing. I'm glad I went then as I certainly wouldn't feel up to it nowadays as I've got more and more arthritic!
Here are some photographs from a Petra site
http://www.petraphotos.com/

Old 08-01-2006, 06:01 AM   #13
Master Chef

AT 18 I enlisted -- yup, a virginal girl, straight out of high school. I don't think anything matches that for a fear factor.

For physical fear, I have a real fear of heights. Yet I've climbed Olomanu (Help Me Here, Wasabi, I don't know if that's right) in Hawaii, crossed the royal gorge, etc. Now that I'm 51, I've decided I'm not challenging my fear of heights ever again. Ever. I don't need to prove anything to anyone any more. I particularly hate being "hung" from above. (for example, a plane does scare me a bit, but a cable car of the type that suspends you from above terrifies me).

But I still tend to think it is the emotional cliff walking that is scariest.
Old 08-01-2006, 06:08 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I went to Europe with 25 people I'd never seen. I went with a group of design students from a local college and had met only the instructor. I had a wonderful time and made some good friends.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:56 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I was working at a factory, and was all of a sudden asked out by around 30 guys at once, found out from a friend that there was a bet about who could get me in the sack (scumbags!!) I had accepted one of these dates and was tempted to not go, since I didn't know if he was involved with the date or not... he wasn't and we're married now.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:07 AM   #16
Senior Cook

At age 18 I left my jobs and travelled through all of North America for 6 months with my brother and his friend, 37 US states, nearly all the Mexican states and 6 provinces - some of the time I was on my own as well. It nearly killed my parents that I would do that as we only called home once a month to say we were OK. The memory of it helps me to deal with our oldest being in Europe for the last month and she will be there another two months before she comes home totally broke and jobless.

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
My adventure was quite like Kyles'... I came to Rome to meet Cristiano, whom I had been chatting over ICQ for a month or so. It was the beginning of March 2003, I never left Rome since. (well, except for a few holiday getaways with him )
Old 08-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #18
Master Chef

Oh, dear. I didn't mention riding a mule on Molokai. Honest-to-God, at one point you're looking at your foot, and a mile down is crashing surf. I was scared to death. My saving grace was that the mule-skinners asked who was inexperienced with riding. I raised my hand (no pride here). He put me as last person in the "train", just before him and the pack mules. He proceeded to sing the entire way down, riding down hands-free, playing the guitar. It made me feel very secure. To this very day I connect a Bob Nelson song called "Maui Waltz" with that trip (even thought it was Molokai). I was very scared, but also very comforted by the man singing behind me. I hear the Maui waltz, it brings back memories ......
Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Z
LOL at the visual... You probably thought you were going pretty well up until then, huh? Skiing is a great adventure. Even when you LOOK like you're in complete control, there are a lot of times you know you're close to the edge of a major yardsale with potentially serious injuries.
I was doing good until then. High speed on skis is a real rush for me. But when I saw that jump I thought I was dead! The guy I was skiing with (an accomplished ski racer) commented to someone on my speed approaching the jump.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 AM   #20
Head Chef

You know, I have no idea what it would be.

I've jumped off bridges into a river 30 feet below
I've gone skiing plenty of times (even when it was sheer ice - that's an experience...)
White water rafting (with and without the raft - yes we jumped in and shot rapids in just our life jackets, on purpose)
I've used an old (not real big) dam as a water slide
Been up flying in small planes with my uncle
Moved back and forth across the country
Rode out an F5 tornado (not directly in it's path, but in town)
Been out in small boats that had no business being out in the conditions at the time.

None of it really seemed, or seems, out of line to me.

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote