"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
Master Chef

Adventure

What is the most adventurous thing you've ever done? Something that made you feel like you were stepping off of the edge of a cliff. I don't necessarily mean something like bungee jumping.

Old 07-31-2006, 02:31 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We did the Zip Line challange in ALaska.. that was fun adventure for me.
But I think the LONG UP UP UP hill hike we did a few weeks ago was the hardest adventure I'd ever been on. It was only 14 miles long and we had three days to do it but for old fat out of shape me... it was KILLER!!!

Old 07-31-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Head Chef

There was a place in Australia I used to love to go hiking. Once you parked your vehicle, you hike into a place where you can get into a river bed and... once you're in the river bed (running water with varying levels depending on recent weather), the only way out is to follow it downstream... scrambling over boulders, some as big as small homes. Overhead are eucalypts, tree ferns and a miriad of wild parrots, including both black and white Cockatoos, Rainbow Lorikeets and Kookaburras. At the end of the river bed is a waterfall and the only way down is to traverse the rockface for about 30 yards until you get to a path on safer ground. It's so beautiful there... but pretty adventurous as well.

I also went deep sea fishing once and the boat sank... but I guess that's another adventure.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
Hospitality Queen

Most adventurous thing I ever did was marrying a guy I'd known for 2 weeks.
That was early in '91. We're still married.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #5
Head Chef

I once crossed a train bridge on foot. It was about 100' off the ground, and probably 300-400' across (remember the movie Stand by Me?). It doesn't look near as big from the groud though.

I've done lots of stupid/adventurous things while skiing. The most famous was when on Snowshoe mountain in West Virginia. I went down the steepest longest slope on the mountain, and tucked the last part like I was Alberto Tomba. What I didn't know is that at the bottom of the hill was a large jump, and I didn't see it until it was too late. I hit the jump at about 45 mph and launched about 8' in the air for 50' total distance where I planted on my but and slid for another 50'. The moral is always scout the slope your first time before a high speed run!
Old 07-31-2006, 05:28 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Let me think...

On a couple different occasions, I have literally stepped off a cliff (rapelling). That's fun, actually, if you're not afraid of heighths.

I've gone on a couple backpacking treks, two treks of 10 days, and one trek of 5 days. It's a great experience.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:41 PM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagriller
I hit the jump at about 45 mph and launched about 8' in the air for 50' total distance where I planted on my but and slid for another 50'.
LOL at the visual... You probably thought you were going pretty well up until then, huh? Skiing is a great adventure. Even when you LOOK like you're in complete control, there are a lot of times you know you're close to the edge of a major yardsale with potentially serious injuries.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 AM   #8
Head Chef

Took an aerobatic biplane ride over Napa valley years ago. The plane and the aerial views were so pretty. We did corksrews, barrel rolls, etc. I lost my voice. At least I didn't lose my breakfast ... :-P
Old 08-01-2006, 12:54 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

lots of backpacking and canoeing trips, many solo, in all seasons, from canada to mexico, maine to california.

i've had survival training in florida, oregon, and ny state.

have flown a cessna single engine, and a beechcraft twin.

have skiied in vermont, nh, ny, nj, pennsylvania, colorado, oregon, and b.c.. (also went off a 25 foot cliff on skiis, on mt hood)

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 01:05 AM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
Selling all my worldly goods, sending my cat to live with her father, and moving to England to be with a man I met on the internet.

That was 5 years ago, I'm still here and still with him.