"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Adventures in Flan

I have been a menace in the kitchen lately. Actually, any room but particularly regarding food. I made flan. I put the dishes in the refrigerator and finished filling them in there so that I wouldn't spill any as I was carrying them. I shut the door. Then I decided that I would like a little Pepper Jack cheese to snack on. Opened the door. So far, so good. Picked up the package of cheese. Good, until.... I accidentally dropped it and it did a cannonball into the flan.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I have been a menace in the kitchen lately. Actually, any room but particularly regarding food. I made flan. I put the dishes in the refrigerator and finished filling them in there so that I wouldn't spill any as I was carrying them. I shut the door. Then I decided that I would like a little Pepper Jack cheese to snack on. Opened the door. So far, so good. Picked up the package of cheese. Good, until.... I accidentally dropped it and it did a cannonball into the flan.
Oh no! I hope the flan is still edible.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

No idea what flan is, Barbara. But a pic would be cool.
I don't try making anything I cant see, lol.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Cut it up and layer it in a bowl with some custard and call it trifle...
Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The cheese was in a zippered bag. The cheese and flan are both still fine, but quite a bit of the flan made its way through the lower shelves, making a mess of everything it hit on the way. I got it cleaned as good as I could, but I will have to do a major refrigerator cleaning very soon.

I have to admit, this wasn't regular flan, but Royal brand mix (amazingly good for a mix). It was still liquid when the cheese hit it.

Fred, flan is a custard pudding. If you ever go out to Mexican restaurants, you may have seen it. When you invert it onto a plate it has caramel topping. We're not going to get fancy, we will just be eating it out of the dessert bowls, so a picture wouldn't look that exciting. It would kind of look like egg custard in a bowl. (Actually I just found a picture, but it isn't of mine).
Attached Images

Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
The cheese was in a zippered bag. The cheese and flan are both still fine, but quite a bit of the flan made its way through the lower shelves, making a mess of everything it hit on the way. I got it cleaned as good as I could, but I will have to do a major refrigerator cleaning very soon.

I have to admit, this wasn't regular flan, but Royal brand mix (amazingly good for a mix). It was still liquid when the cheese hit it.

Fred, flan is a custard pudding. If you ever go out to Mexican restaurants, you may have seen it. When you invert it onto a plate it has caramel topping. We're not going to get fancy, we will just be eating it out of the dessert bowls, so a picture wouldn't look that exciting. It would kind of look like egg custard in a bowl. (Actually I just found a picture, but it isn't of mine).
That looks like crème caramel. I used to get a really good mix for that from a company called Oetker.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Interesting. So as long as I'm not eating goose poop, I'm eating flan?

Thanks. Maybe I'll google it and try it sometime.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon

If you want to try a simple to make, and pretty decent quick flan look in your store's Jello aisle. Both Jello and Royal make it (there are other brands as well).

The news got even weirder when I went to check it later. The package of Colby-Jack cheese apparently thought the Pepper Jack was having all the fun, so it dove in too. It had started to set around the package, but it pulled out cleanly. I was going to take the dish that had been messed up (and lost quite a bit from all the cheese cannonballs), but James told me to take some of his. I ended up inverting them anyway, and they looked and tasted very good.

BTW, I paid the Pepper Jack cheese back by finishing it off.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Cut it up and layer it in a bowl with some custard and call it trifle...
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought it was more like a fruit flan.