"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-16-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Adventures in Flan

I have been a menace in the kitchen lately. Actually, any room but particularly regarding food. I made flan. I put the dishes in the refrigerator and finished filling them in there so that I wouldn't spill any as I was carrying them. I shut the door. Then I decided that I would like a little Pepper Jack cheese to snack on. Opened the door. So far, so good. Picked up the package of cheese. Good, until.... I accidentally dropped it and it did a cannonball into the flan.

__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I have been a menace in the kitchen lately. Actually, any room but particularly regarding food. I made flan. I put the dishes in the refrigerator and finished filling them in there so that I wouldn't spill any as I was carrying them. I shut the door. Then I decided that I would like a little Pepper Jack cheese to snack on. Opened the door. So far, so good. Picked up the package of cheese. Good, until.... I accidentally dropped it and it did a cannonball into the flan.
Oh no! I hope the flan is still edible.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
No idea what flan is, Barbara. But a pic would be cool.
I don't try making anything I cant see, lol.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Cut it up and layer it in a bowl with some custard and call it trifle...
__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
The cheese was in a zippered bag. The cheese and flan are both still fine, but quite a bit of the flan made its way through the lower shelves, making a mess of everything it hit on the way. I got it cleaned as good as I could, but I will have to do a major refrigerator cleaning very soon.

I have to admit, this wasn't regular flan, but Royal brand mix (amazingly good for a mix). It was still liquid when the cheese hit it.

Fred, flan is a custard pudding. If you ever go out to Mexican restaurants, you may have seen it. When you invert it onto a plate it has caramel topping. We're not going to get fancy, we will just be eating it out of the dessert bowls, so a picture wouldn't look that exciting. It would kind of look like egg custard in a bowl. (Actually I just found a picture, but it isn't of mine).
Attached Images
 
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
The cheese was in a zippered bag. The cheese and flan are both still fine, but quite a bit of the flan made its way through the lower shelves, making a mess of everything it hit on the way. I got it cleaned as good as I could, but I will have to do a major refrigerator cleaning very soon.

I have to admit, this wasn't regular flan, but Royal brand mix (amazingly good for a mix). It was still liquid when the cheese hit it.

Fred, flan is a custard pudding. If you ever go out to Mexican restaurants, you may have seen it. When you invert it onto a plate it has caramel topping. We're not going to get fancy, we will just be eating it out of the dessert bowls, so a picture wouldn't look that exciting. It would kind of look like egg custard in a bowl. (Actually I just found a picture, but it isn't of mine).
That looks like crème caramel. I used to get a really good mix for that from a company called Oetker.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
The cheese was in a zippered bag. The cheese and flan are both still fine, but quite a bit of the flan made its way through the lower shelves, making a mess of everything it hit on the way. I got it cleaned as good as I could, but I will have to do a major refrigerator cleaning very soon.

I have to admit, this wasn't regular flan, but Royal brand mix (amazingly good for a mix). It was still liquid when the cheese hit it.

Fred, flan is a custard pudding. If you ever go out to Mexican restaurants, you may have seen it. When you invert it onto a plate it has caramel topping. We're not going to get fancy, we will just be eating it out of the dessert bowls, so a picture wouldn't look that exciting. It would kind of look like egg custard in a bowl. (Actually I just found a picture, but it isn't of mine).
Interesting. So as long as I'm not eating goose poop, I'm eating flan?



Thanks. Maybe I'll google it and try it sometime.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:28 AM   #8
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
If you want to try a simple to make, and pretty decent quick flan look in your store's Jello aisle. Both Jello and Royal make it (there are other brands as well).

The news got even weirder when I went to check it later. The package of Colby-Jack cheese apparently thought the Pepper Jack was having all the fun, so it dove in too. It had started to set around the package, but it pulled out cleanly. I was going to take the dish that had been messed up (and lost quite a bit from all the cheese cannonballs), but James told me to take some of his. I ended up inverting them anyway, and they looked and tasted very good.

BTW, I paid the Pepper Jack cheese back by finishing it off.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:26 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Rocklobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa Valley, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Cut it up and layer it in a bowl with some custard and call it trifle...
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought it was more like a fruit flan.
__________________

__________________
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.