"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-24-2014, 07:54 PM   #21
Master Chef

I'm against drug companies advertising and other forms of medical advertising!

Doctors were lousy business men and they sold the medical profession to corporate America so they could concentrate on practicing medicine, the health care industry was born, a big mistake!

Now it is all about money, market share, treating symptoms and not solving problems or curing diseases. We are sliding back into the days of the medicine show quacks!

It ain't right I tell ya, it just ain't right!

I'm all done ranting, for now!

Old 01-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
The United States and New Zealand are the only two countries in the world that allow advertising of pharmaceuticals (DTC= Direct to Consumer) on TV or in magazines.I personally think that the rest of the world is more 'advanced' in that way, in that area.
I apologize in advance for not reading the entire thread, but I couldn't go any further without mentioning the elephant in the room.

Every… Single… Commercial has the SAME warning: Side effects may include […] suicidal thoughts or actions.

My little brother was on an anti-depressant and on the 14th he ended his life. I'm not trying to make a direct correlation, but, there's really only one way to know this is a side effect: Someone in the test group experienced it.

The other good example is the RA meds that can cause lymphoma. My sons mother had Hodgkin's lymphoma, twice. I've had neither, but I would rather have RA than lymphoma.

But the best of the best is the fibromyalgia med: "It is not known how exactly Cymbalta works." That's good… Here, take this, it will work, but we don't know how it works."

You start the game with a full pot of luck and an empty pot of experience. The object is to fill the pot of experience before you empty the pot of luck.
AnthonyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm sorry for your loss, Anthony.

Every symptom someone experiences while they're in a drug trial has to be reported and included in the patient information packet.

Regarding RA, I also have a severe auto-immune disease. I would not be alive now if it weren't for drugs that started out being approved for RA. I've been on several because people often develop antibodies and they stop working. I'll take my chances with the side effects.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:29 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

So sorry, Anthony, my deepest sympathies.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:27 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Sorry for your loss Anthony. It just seems wrong that suicidal thoughts are a side effect of several anti-depressants.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:30 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
"Talk to your doctor about Zantac (or Zoloft)." Why? The ad didn't even tell me what these drugs do.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Sorry for your loss Anthony. It just seems wrong that suicidal thoughts are a side effect of several anti-depressants.
For many years suicide has been known to be a major side effect for teenagers who take these drugs. When prescribed for teenagers, it should be noted to the parents and family of this nasty little secret. They need to be made aware so that everyone can keep their eyes open. I am not sure if it is one of those drugs that you can't get a refill on without going back to the doctor's office. If it isn't, it should be.

When my daughter was murdered, my granddaughter was having a hard time dealing with it. I was no help as I was dealing with my own grief. I called a mental health center to make an appointment for her. They asked her name. And that is all. After I hung up I got a phone call a couple of minutes later to inform me that there was a prescription for one of these antidepressants for her. The doctor that phoned it in had never seen her, didn't know her weight, age or any other information about her. I didn't bother to get the prescription or have her keep the appointment.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Antidepressants have helped many, and right now, it's the best we can do with what we've got. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. But if they're needed, they should be used. Having worked with adolescents for over 30 years, I find that most depressed kids have had their lives turned around for the better with the antidepressants, including the suicidal kids.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:19 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Antidepressants have helped many, and right now, it's the best we can do with what we've got. Are they perfect? Absolutely not. But if they're needed, they should be used. Having worked with adolescents for over 30 years, I find that most depressed kids have had their lives turned around for the better with the antidepressants, including the suicidal kids.
I am not against them when needed. I just think there needs to be closer follow up for when they are prescribed for teenagers. We know the dangers, yet we choose to hope that a pill will solve all the problems. The easy way for a solution? Hardly.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:46 AM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I'm sorry for your loss, Anthony.

Every symptom someone experiences while they're in a drug trial has to be reported and included in the patient information packet.
Yes it is. But who reads it, besides perhaps me and a few others? Even when my eyesight was better I had to use a magnifying glass to read it.

To further complicate things----- if people did read all the things that could go wrong, they'd never take that drug.

Although I'm a big supporter for people reading the patient packet it's also a CYA kinda thing to discourage lawsuits.