Advice Request: $20 Gift Exchange @ Work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
I work in a small office and it's been decided that we'll do some kind of random gift exchange for Christmas. There are 5 women and 2 men (one being me) and we're supposed to bring a wrapped, 'unisex' gift. The age range is mid-20's - about 50 years old. The group is small enough that I'll probably give each of the others something small and personal, but I'm just wondering if any of you have a Home Run $20 gift idea.

The party is December 18. Right now I'm leaning toward a nice bottle of Port, although I know that not all are drinkers.

I was thinking a bottle of wine, like a nice but basic red or white. Or how about a bottle of champagne for New Years?

You also could check out places like Costco (or BJ's or Sam's)--they have a lot of nice, generic gifty things this time of year--Starbuck's gift baskets, chocolate towers, snack baskets, soaps, that sort of stuff.

How about gift cards for movie theater? You can provide them with a ticket, popcorn and a drink for $20.00. Then they can go and watch a movie they have been wanting to see.

Gift vouchers for a department store? Or something you have made yourself, and put in a nice jar wrapped up. That will be nice as it is personal.

A bottle of Prosecco would certainly fall into the $20 range whereas I'm not so sure you can get a good drinking bottle of Porto for $20. Tis the season for Prosecco :cool:

Another idea is go to Block Buster or someplace like that where they have some DVD's on sale. Get a classic movie and attach a bag of microwaveable popcorn and/or a Domino Pizza (or similar) giftcard.

I like the movie theater gift card idea, or a gift card for Blockbuster, etc. You could get a gas gift card. With the cost of gas, $20 doesn't go as far as it used to, but it still almost fills my car's tank.

:)Barbara

I like Renee's idea or Barbara's gas card ideas. Or a book voucher. A good quality mug for the office with maybe a tea/coffee selection, or gourmet biscuits to go with it. Homemade bikkies if you like!

One of those catus plants that are meant to be good for an office cos they are meant to "absorb" (or something!) computer "fumes" (pick your term). Or some lucky bamboo. Or a zen desk garden.

Have they all got cars? How bout a gadget for a car if they do?

Have they all got cars? How bout a gadget for a car if they do?

This made me think of an office exchange gift that DH got once--a gift certificate to a car wash (the kind where they run it through and detail it for you). He was pleasantly surprised with this gift--it was a nice change and a treat when the car was dirty and he could take a break from cleaning it himself!

A gift Basket from Sam's

We used to draw names for family and friends every year. A few years ago I was stuck with my aunt's boyfriend (someone I knew nothing about). So I went to sam's and got a huge gift basket with everything in it for $25.00.
It had wine, crackers, chesses, candy, wine glases, and a couple of other things. Everybody loved it so we do this for all of our hard to buy for family and friends.;)

:)Thats a tough one.If you could draw names it would be alot easier.
I agree... but it is what it is.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I really appreciate them. I still have a little time to think, but many of these suggestions will receive serious consideration.

I work in a small office and it's been decided that we'll do some kind of random gift exchange for Christmas. There are 5 women and 2 men (one being me) and we're supposed to bring a wrapped, 'unisex' gift. The age range is mid-20's - about 50 years old. The group is small enough that I'll probably give each of the others something small and personal, but I'm just wondering if any of you have a Home Run $20 gift idea.

The party is December 18. Right now I'm leaning toward a nice bottle of Port, although I know that not all are drinkers.

One of these boxed gift assortments from Swiss Colony might be nice, like this one: Snack-time Special from The Swiss Colony®

Back
Top Bottom