"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #21
Master Chef

i rinse. did you know not rinsing is like taking ex-lax.....

Old 05-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #22
Senior Cook

A good rinse is just as important as a good wash - never heard that they don't in England - been there never seen that. Different strokes, yes, but I don't think leaving the soap on can be good for you.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I think it is a "tradition" of certain British family, perhaps not all of them though. I was quietly horrified when my ex kindly offered to wash the dishes, then he simply dipped the dishes in soapy water, a little scrubbing or swishing about and took them out of the soapy water to dry. He suffered ME (or CFS) so I supposed that was the best he could do, so I didn't say anything and rewashed everything later. However I was doubly flabbergasted (in silence though), when I saw his mother washed the dishes exactly the same way.

Elsewhere, the dishes and pots and utensils and everything that have been washed with soap is thoroughly rinsed with warm-hot water all the time.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #24
Head Chef

I lived in England for a time, and most people I knew had a small "boiler" or water heater to serve their kitchen sink - usually just a few gallons. Almost no one had a big (55+ gallon) water heater to serve the entire house - there would be another boiler to serve the bathtub, for example. So they would usually use a basin filled with hot water for "dip" rinsing - letting the water just run for rinsing seemed wasteful and extravagant to them. Of course, the rinse basin fills up with soap eventually and isn't doing much rinsing. Sean was asking an innocent question...important for us to consider that not everyone lives the same way. For example, I don't have a dishwasher. Our water pressure here is so variable that it's just out of the question (and I don't really want one, anyway). But I do rinse under very hot running water.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:12 PM   #25
Executive Chef

I guess I am in "the bubble" and would never have thought that people didn't. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.
Just as I would never NOT wash my veggies, or Not rinse my clothes, or body in a shower.
I didn't know. As I said, I live in a bubble.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:24 PM   #26
Head Chef

Quicksilver, I didn't mean to scold - so sorry if it sounded like that! One of the most interesting things about this site is that we have so many people from all over the world. So we can learn from each other.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:35 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I have to admit, I thought this question was a joke at first. I couldn't imagine not rinsing my dishes. I want to taste what I am eating or drinking, not the soap. I am, in fact, pretty fanatical about rinsing (dishes, clothes, my hair and body). I can't stand for any soap to be left so, if anything, I tend to over rinse.

Barbara
Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Mex. you didn't offend. I just didn't know. Like "barbaraL" at first.
Like I said, "I live in a bubble"
I Like clean. If something else can do it better than me, Im all for it.

The thought never cross my mind. I thought it was a joke also.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 AM   #29
Senior Cook

I have never in my life heard of not rinsing. Wow.
Old 05-19-2008, 01:11 AM   #30
Executive Chef

No, I like to let the suds dry and cake onto the dishes, and then use them immediately after that. Gives the food more flavor. Or, I sometimes like to serve food on the plates immediately after washing and then call it a foam.