"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2006, 01:01 PM   #11
Executive Chef

sparrowgrass

What a gift, sparrowgrass! thanks. Sure like your name. Love the sparrows in my yard. I feed them all the time. Big black ones I don't like. The info you gave me sure is great. Printed and will keep.

I sure resent throwing it out but got to be careful about the body. No fooling around or taking chances. Hope it will give me some indication by an ordor or something. May have to go to fast food place time or two.

Old 07-31-2006, 08:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

If you can find dry ice it works great for the freezer the grocery stores where I live give it away in little chunks free here all year as there are alot of ranchers that travel long distances to get groceries.Walmart carries it at the service center but you hafto pay for it.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Update

How would you feel after losing your electric just long enough to have to throw your food out? Would it bother you? You have insurance and they tell you to list all items and amounts you paid for them. Remember: SECOND time have to do this. Did it just last year. After accumulating six pages of items and getting amounts I paid, they call yesterday, Sunday, and tell me they will allow me the limited amount of $250 for each unit. I am not upset about amount, at least something, but to put all the time in lisitng, remembering what amount paid for sale or no sale, and then to tell me forget about it? Would you be upset? Am I being too sensitive here? I am just supposed to do what should have been done in beginning and thrown it out. Oh, this whole process has been working on my nerves.

Having to lose my one dog didn't help. Why does everything come at once? Trying to look at things positively is not easy. This too shall pass and it always does but for today, I feel pretty low. Sure don't want to take vodka in my jug when I go exercise. Hope the exercise will help. Thanks for understanding. I know you all have your bag of rocks to carry too.

Then, after all this I saw someone going through the again looking to see what they could use. Last time had beer in it, this time only food. Beer not put in fridge until needed. I could just as well be that person looking through the stuff. This always happens, when I crab about my problem, see someone else with bigger one. Sorry about all this but I am awfully frustrated for both of us. Me for throwing out and him for haivng to take it.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #14
Master Chef

ITK, when I lived in Hawaii and Florida this happened fairly often. My best suggestion is to fill all sorts of plastic containers with water and freeze them. Keep your fridge and freezers totallly full. This will make the difference between food lasting a couple of days ... or even up to a week. I used to fill the freezers with ice water in that form in May, then toss it out around Thanksgiving. Sometimes you have warnings when a power outage comes (very high temps, hurricane warnings). When that happens I actually would stuff newspaper in my chest freezer to add another layer of insulation. Someone this weekend told me it was poisonous to drink the water from those pop bottles full of water. Well, guess I'm dead or sick or something! But the main purpose is to keep the food cold, and you'd be surprised how long you can keep your frozen food frozen by this method. But the bottom line is that a full freezer lasts a lot longer than a half-full one. So freeze lots of water in May. Toss it out when you need more space for food. But you want more ice, less air, for the seasons when you could expect power shortages.

Other than that, get to know your neighbors and Party!!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I think fryboy has the right idea invest in a small generator at least big enough to keep fridge and freezer going or bigger to run a few other things.That is the only fool proof method.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:58 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Appreciate

I do appreciat e your underst anding. Makes me feel someone cares. jpmcgrew, t he generators around here kept me up at night cause I had to keep the windows open in order not to suffocate from the heat in the house. Didn't keep the house cool but the noise from generators was just one more thing to be upset about. guess that is the only way to put up w/noise is to make noise yourself. Have elderly lady in neighborhood and she keeps her windows and doors locked. Doesn't want no one to bother her. Feels she is better off not to depend on anyone for help.

Claire, you really know a lot about life challenges don't you? Always give ideas about how to survive no matt er what the situation. I sure am going to copy your comment as well to keep handy for the problem happening next year. Wouldn't that be something if it did? nothing surprises you Claire. You're ready. Good. Stay strong. Oh and thanks.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:22 AM   #17
Master Chef

ITK, it is because I'm a military brat, military vet, and military wife (now retired). You get used to trying to deal with weird circumstances -- or at least you did in the olden days (I'm 51). I've always loved to cook, and dealing with the situations life throws at you when you don't know where you'll be tomorrow, and where your significant others are sometimes, and you food sources change from year to year. Of course it bothers me when I lose a freezer full of food. One of my sisters who lives in Florida, where a couple of years ago they went through three major power outages, did buy a generator. But what they did that year was learn to know their neighbors very well .... Everyone pow-wowwed every day and figured out who had what food that needed to be eaten tout suite and who had the fullest gas tanks on their barbecues or had a functioning gas stove. The neighborhood ate together for the time period.