"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-04-2008, 11:34 AM   #101
Executive Chef

Only if it is absolutely positively necessary.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:41 AM   #102
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
...For instance, carriers will start cutting back on flights to certain destinations(Los Vegas is one of them)...

Why Las Vegas? As long as people want to go there, and they certainly do, someone will fly them there.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #103
Executive Chef

Don't know.

Maybe those airlines that plan to do that, don't seem to get many passengers who go there - which doesn't make any sense either.

There's no one I know who doesn't like Las Vegas or wouldn't go there! Who can resist all that fun, glamour, the stars,the entertainment, roller coasters, shows, gambling and night club action?!

I wouldn't miss out on it!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:07 PM   #104
Master Chef

Quote:
Don't know.

Maybe those airlines that plan to do that, don't seem to get many passengers who go there - which doesn't make any sense either.

There's no one I know who doesn't like Las Vegas or wouldn't go there! Who can resist all that fun, glamour, the stars,the entertainment, roller coasters, shows, gambling and night club action?!

I could care less about Vegas I'm a homebody.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #105
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Why Las Vegas? As long as people want to go there, and they certainly do, someone will fly them there.
Yields are too low since it's mostly leisure travelers (on vacation packages, etc.).

US Airways is already planning a hefty drawback of their hub there.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #106
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericaWestCMH View Post
Yields are too low since it's mostly leisure travelers (on vacation packages, etc.).

US Airways is already planning a hefty drawback of their hub there.
Nail on the head right there.

It's not about volume on a route, it's about profit on a route. If a route is no longer profitable, expect to see the airlines walk away from them if they can't raise the rates.

They aren't making these decisions arbitrarily or easily. When you give up market share, it will be very hard to get it back. They're trying to get by in an environment of unprecedented change. It's not just the airlines either. The news here in town mentioned that for the first time in 26 years (!) the best selling vehicle in the US won't be the Ford F-series. It fell all the way to 5th place as consumers abandon trucks.

Airlines charging the rates they have (and still mostly do) for the convenience (even with the cattle car environment of coach) of being able to get from one coast of the US to the other in the same day really *aren't* high enough to support the capacity and costs.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't want to have to pay more, but if I'm honest about it, I can see quite clearly that I probably should.

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:48 PM   #107
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I could care less about Vegas I'm a homebody.

Have you ever been there? It IS a lot of fun!

United and AMR announced today that they plan to make some more job cuts.

United is cutting up to 1,100 positions, including management positions.

In addtion, it plans to park up to 100 planes, mainly the older less fuel-efficient ones, such as the Boeing 737 jetliners and a few 747s.

Also, it will be phasing out its Ted service, and those planes will be reconfigured to include first-class seats.

This all stems, as you know, from rising fuel costs. Both co's are saying that this move is necessary in order to save some money and to stay afloat and to avoid another Chapter 11 relapse.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #108
Head Chef

Corey, I don't think the airiines will be cutting flights to Las Vegas anytime soon. A plane lands at McCarren Airport every two minutes like clockwork. Last year we had a record 42 million people come to Vegas, most of them by plane. It is the second most visited city in the world, first is Paris.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #109
Executive Chef

Quote:
Don't know.

Been there....and don't see what all the fuss is about. In fact, I could honestly say I didn't really like it. Great food, shows, booze, roller coasters, clubs...I can get right here at home. The stars?? Who needs em? And gambling?? I work way too hard for my money to risk it on the odds those places are offering.
Old 06-04-2008, 05:04 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

but the people watching in Vegas is fabulous, VB. It's your mall population on steroids.