"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-01-2008, 08:49 AM   #21
Master Chef

terrorists' modes of attack have always been underestimated........they're very smart and will find a way around anything........

Old 06-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #22
Head Chef

I can't believe you people are complaining about the security checks at the airport. If they had done this a few years ago there would have been no "9/11." I have no problem with these checks and how much trouble is it to take off your shoes? I feel safer now than I ever did although I think they security people could be more thorough.
I always fly first class on American Airlines and I didn't have to pay the extra charge for my second bag when I flew to Michigan last week. I won't be returning home to Vegas until mid September, but I'll bet I'll be paying the charges for my bags then. I paid $1200 this time, a little more than I usually pay, but I like the comfortable seats and the terrific full meals and service in first class. I don't mind paying the charges for my bags. I fly often so it just "goes with the territory. I have to agree with GB, there are no more free rides. Pay the price, get used to being checked through security and move on with your lives. I was more shocked when I landed, picked up my car and filled my gas tank at $4.12 per gallon than I was at the extra baggage charges.
It ain't over yet, there are more up charges to come on a lot more than airline tickets. Get ready.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:54 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
ok, that is another fallout of downsizing.....cutting back on services......the flight out of Germany was unbelievable a month ago.....this is international Lufthansa by the way........two attendants for 20 rows of First Class and Business and the ticket prices are about doubled so no complaints and 2 attendants for the next 1000 rows of Economy. Unbelievable.....used to be 4 for that number of rows.......not anymore.......this is why I always try and get a seat up front if I don't want to eat my fellow passenger.....as a rule the airlines serve the front first....from what I understand the attendants and pilots and ground support staff of most airlines have had to take salary cuts just to stay employed......how they maintain their composure and still render competent service is beyond me

Not trying to doubt you, but according to gov't rules, an airliner isn't supposed to be let go unless the required amount of attendants are on board
to take care of the passengers and in the unlikely event of an emergency.

For example; a United Airlines 757 is not supposed to leave the gate until and unless all six attendants are on the plane. Two for first class and four for coach class.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I can't believe you people are complaining about the security checks at the airport. If they had done this a few years ago there would have been no "9/11." I have no problem with these checks and how much trouble is it to take off your shoes? I feel safer now than I ever did although I think they security people could be more thorough.
I always fly first class on American Airlines and I didn't have to pay the extra charge for my second bag when I flew to Michigan last week. I won't be returning home to Vegas until mid September, but I'll bet I'll be paying the charges for my bags then. I paid $1200 this time, a little more than I usually pay, but I like the comfortable seats and the terrific full meals and service in first class. I don't mind paying the charges for my bags. I fly often so it just "goes with the territory. I have to agree with GB, there are no more free rides. Pay the price, get used to being checked through security and move on with your lives. I was more shocked when I landed, picked up my car and filled my gas tank at $4.12 per gallon than I was at the extra baggage charges.
It ain't over yet, there are more up charges to come on a lot more than airline tickets. Get ready.

You're right. That's exactly why I won't fly now. Haha!!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:05 AM   #25
Master Chef

the two for coach class must have been lumped with the servers in 1st and business....there were only 2 people serving all of economy........I actually kept looking behind me as I was in the front to see if they would be joined.......but no, it was just the two of them.......and they smiled and carried on with professionalism
Old 06-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #26
Executive Chef

If that was a large airliner, and it sounds like it was, mainly a widebody, then I would hate to imagine what might happen in an emergency!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:22 AM   #27
Master Chef

these people were incredibly professional.....I've seen a series about training for flight school and you wouldn't believe what they have to master.......I came away with an even deeper respect for airlines.......and most of them have taken pay cuts to just keep their jobs.......I always thank them for their service when I depart......
Old 06-01-2008, 09:24 AM   #28
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
I can't believe you people are complaining about the security checks at the airport. If they had done this a few years ago there would have been no "9/11."
Short-blade knives (<4") were not illegal pre-9/11.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:26 AM   #29
Master Chef

and yes, Corey, that thought did cross my mind........I think that I'm in the minority who still listens to the flight instructions after 20 years and they always look at me, and take note of where the air emergency exits are, and makes sure that my lifevest is where they say it should be......hey, you never know..........
Old 06-01-2008, 12:51 PM   #30
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
GB;

Being checked at the metal detector should be sufficient enough, I think.

Once you've passed that area, you should be left alone, because there really isn't anything else suspisious that you can take with you onto a plane.
You have got to be kidding. You think the only dangerous things would be metal? Are you serious?

What about ceramic knives? What about dangerous liquids? You say you remember Richard Reed, yet you have a problem with them checking your shoes?

How much effort does it take to take off your shoes? Isn't that extra two seconds worth seeing if someone else is trying to bring another shoe bomb on board. And if you really think that terrorist will not try another 9-11 type attack just because they already did it once then you are crazy. You are the exact type of person they are looking for. Someone who has their guard down saying "oh they won't do that again". These people do not play by any rules. They will do whatever it takes to kill. A little metal detector or the fact that they already did something once before is certainly no deterrent.