Airlines May Start Charging for Other Things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB - If the cost of First / Business went up with coach, I agree. If it did not then the cost covers what they WERE getting and the extra fuel is on us in coach.
They were already paying for it though. As Andy found out, his Aruba flight for coach was $445 and a first class for the same flight was $1319. That is a difference of $874. It does not cost the airline $874 more dollars to bring a passenger that distance just because they sit in a seat closer to the Captain and get free drinks and food and get to board first.

I see what you are saying Adillo, but the bottom line is that people pay first class prices to not be treated the same. They pay to be treated better. When it comes right down to it though, they are still paying more than everyone else for the same eventual outcome, getting from point a to point b.

Corey123 said:
And oh yeah; How about being patted down, felt up and your private parts being touched? Tell me THAT isn't humiliating.
If they are feeling up your privates for no reason then you need to bring that up to someone. They can not just do that.

The airlines have done a very good job of publicizing what is and is not allowed on board and what you can do to avoid the hassles. Just read Andy's post on how he travels. If you listened to what the airlines tell you then you would never have anyone patting you down or doing anything like that at all. It is in your hands to prevent a lot of this.

GB - We are having the same discussion over and over and not getting anywhere.

If A cost $100.00 and b Costs $500 and the common cost to give a and b what they are buying goes up and a still pays $500 and b now has to pay $200, then it is disproportionate. I don't think the airlines were accruing all along for increased fuel and security costs, therefore they must be eating the up cost for fitst / business and making it up in coach.

I don't fly unless necessary it is not really significant.

If anyone wants to pay more for free food (Airline food at that) and free booz without quality booz or atmosphere, let them. You, the seat is more comfy! AND you can say you flew first class.

Please don't be mad at me, I used to fly 35% of my job with 7% of that Overseas. Business or first over 3 hours. Loved it. 9-11 and two hips changed all that for me. Also the business need is not there any more. Airlines can charge whatever they want, they can loose 18Billion over Memorial day for it too.

The point I am trying to make though Adillo is that this never was an equitable situation to begin with. First class always paid more and got perks because of it. Why should it be different now?

To top it off, it is completely fair because anyone can buy a first class ticket. If you do not want to pay more because the price of gas has gone up then you are free to buy a first class ticket. Not everyone can afford that, but that is not the airlines fault. That is the problem of the consumer. The airline makes those tickets available to all though. It would only be unfair if they reserved those tickets for specific people. They do not do that though. If you have the money then you can buy one of those tickets.

I am unable to explain my point to you. You are talking about the price difference between first and coach. I concede first gets more / pays more. When a common cost iincreases and first pays what it used to and coach pays more they coach is absorbing the difference. It is not equitable, life is not fair, never said it had to be. Any seller can ask whtever they want for what they are selling. The buyer chooses to buy or not. Not expecting anyone to make it equitable. The fact stands and speaks for itself. If the cost of first went up an equivalent amount, then there i sno discussion to be had.

Last edited:
Expat = You state we Americans. are tickets cheaper and service better overseas? Jest Askin (Brooklyn expression)
I can't verify if tickets are cheaper.....they're just ridiculous on American airlines,,,,,,,,charge what the going rate:LOL: and quit nickle and diming the consumer.........whoever said that the next fee would be the use of toilets is not far off the mark and they'll make a fortune off of me........

Fly naked?

Don't talk too loud. They might hear you and start making people do it!:LOL:
oh, please, that's too sad ..........I know what when the person in front of me got the extra legroom I overheard her loudly mention that there was no way that she was going to help passengers off.......wanta bet...if i was going to go down so was she...... under my armpit.......

The fact stands and speaks for itself. If the cost of first went up an equivalent amount, then there i sno discussion to be had.

How do you know the cost of first hasn't gone up? Most legacy airlines' fare structures would make your head spin; i.e you'd never know if the overall price went up or down because it's not static. It's all based on yield management.

I know rising fuel costs is one reason for the added costs, but I wonder if there is more to it. I flew to California in March to visit my family. While at the airport in Atlanta, on my way there, they announced on CNN that hundreds of planes were being grounded because of something (inaccurate mechanical inspections, I think). Then, on my way home, also at the Atlanta airport, there was an announcement of hundreds of other flights being grounded. Several airlines, hundreds (maybe thouands) of airplanes were affected in just a matter of two weeks time, and I know those weren't the only two times this year that this has happened.

Truthfully, if I were the head of an airline, I would be looking for a way to (as cost efficiently as possible, of course) bring back the public's trust. I would start raising prices only as a last resort. If they were to raise the price of every ticket by the same amount (it wouldn't have to be that much if it affected everyone), it would be more fair than raising prices (through things like luggage fees) for only some people. It would also not be as noticible, since it would be the same for all.

:)Barbara

At the risk of starting up more arguments I am posting anyway. I can always yank this this post if I am too inflammatory.

Honestly, I read this thread with my mouth hanging open in absolute astonishment. I cannot believe the complaints I am reading. Does anyone here read their ticket? The airline doesn't HAVE to take you anywhere, and you are subject to their rules when you sign the contract (or purchase the ticket). If you don't like their rules, don't fly. If you want to fly, suck it up and let them do their job. I have flown so many times I truly don't believe I could count the number of flights I've been on. And actually, when a lot of this thread was being written...I WAS ON A PLANE! The only folks I have seen having trouble are the ones who ask for it by being belligerent or trying to do something they shouldn't. I just flew an entire ball team of girls and 6 assorted coaches, managers and parents out and had not ONE issue. Why not? Because we followed the rules. No biggie at all.

Corey, if you don't fly why on earth are you complaining? It doesn't affect you so let it go. Are you in a particularly argumentative mood lately? The last two threads I've read where you posted this much have been rather combative. You haven't been over the line or anything, but it baffles me that in both cases you insist that you are not involved but you continued to argue at length in both threads.

Adillo, forgive me, I didn't thoroughly read the second last page of posts so I may have missed something. I sympathize about your plight with the artificial joints. Is it not possible for you to get a statement from your physician that you might hand the security attendants to prevent some issues?

And as for price, well again, do your research and decide for yourself what its worth to you to fly instead of getting there via another method.

I personally feel so blessed that it is possible for me to see things in this world that would never have been possible for me even 100 years ago. The fact that we can so take for granted such an amazing blessing makes me shake my head. How entitled we are. There are people in the world who will only ever see things within reach of their own two feet, or at the most what a 4 legged beastie can carry them to. I just flew 1000 miles, watched my kids play some really excellent softball (4 games) took them to the ocean, let them sail, let them wander a boardwalk and meet people they never otherwise might have met, all in just 3 days. Some of my girls had never been on a plane before, seen the ocean, or been on a boat. They were so joyous I can't even find the words to describe it to you. Definitely worth the paltry monetary price we paid in my opinion.

I am very sorry if I have upset you folks. I know I come across as being a mom and slapping you on the wrist. I have tried to make my point without being nasty or negative so if I have failed please let me know and I will remove this post. I merely want to point out that in this life, we all have choices and decisions to make. To fly is one such choice and act like we are entitled to something like that bothers me greatly.

Alix, I think your post is spot on and can't see ANY reason why it would be removed. It was in no way rude, you were stating your opinion just like everyone else.

I think its wonderful those girls got to take that trip! How exciting for them, especially having never been on a plane or seeing the ocean!

Thanks redkitty, I tried very hard not to be rude, I edited myself rather a lot in the hopes that I wouldn't be rude. I just feel it is important for us to realize that some things are in the nature of luxury and blessing and we are not at all entitled to all that we currently have access to. We are as a society very blessed.

And it was such a joyful trip, thanks! The girls made us see things with fresh eyes. They giggled and whooped and laughed and held hands as the planes took off. Their joy was infectious and they won't soon forget that experience.

I'm behind you Alix. I love flying. Yes, it is expensive, but you pay for convenience and speed. And the cost isn't always that much compared to other methods. For instance, we are planning to drive to California next month. We will need to pay for gas, oil, food, and hotels. We have the luxury of driving, since we will have the time. Luxury of time isn't generally available for people on business trips, or people with limited time to visit. If we, as a society, are going to live all spread out as we do (as compared to hundreds of years ago when you would most likely die within a few miles of where you were born), we are going to have to pay for it. I love all the "perks" that I have gotten used to when flying (meals and movies the first few times I flew, and snacks and drinks lately), but that's not why I am there. I am on that plane trying to get to a specific destination as quickly as possible. If I have to give something up, I would definitely choose to give up amenities over safety.

:)Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom