"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-02-2008, 05:35 PM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
When flying with the Air Force I felt real lucky to git a potty break let alone a box lunch
or a bag of peanuts. If you wanted any thing to eat you had better pack it your self
and I traveled all over the pacific.and most of the west coast from California to far north Alaska. I think a lot of folks have the gimmy attitude that just becauce they purchased a ticket they were deservings a lot of free give aways. When the truth of the matter is they purchased a ride from point a to point b. Think about it when you bought your ticket did it say free snaks or a meal, or free booze, not even in the very fine print did they say this. I think it is time that every body wake up there is no such thing as a free lunch
Those "free" things you spoke of wern't at all free. you payed for them with the purchase of your ticket. When the operating cost of the airlines was substantially lower compared to the initial fare, airlines competed for your business by offering perks. The higher priced premium, or first class tickets gave you more perks as you were giving more money to the company to pay for those perks.

However, to survive, and still try to hold costs down to a point where the common traveller can afford a ticket, airlines have to cut the perks or go bankrupt. When we expected perks, we desearved them because we paid for them. Now, the price of a plain ticket hasn't gone up as much as operating costs have, and so we are no longer paying for perks, but rather, we are paying for the basic flight from point A to point B.

But I don't really think that you should have to pay for your first bag of luggage. The plane was designed to carry it, and it doesn't cost the airlines much additional fuel to carry it. And, if you are going to pay enough money to fly somewhere, chances are you are going to need a change of clothes, unless you plan on purchasing disposable clothes at your destination.

And I really don't care if they charge extra for meals, as long as they let me bring a sandwhich and drink on myself if I so choose to. For a long flight, it is rediculous to expect a passenger to have to pay the exorbitant cost of airline food if they can't well afford it. And there are people (myself included) who are supposed to maintain a specific timeline for eating in order to control blood sugars.

There are reasonable expectations and we need to be willing to tighten our belts if the airlines are going to remain in the black. But they could easily gouge us as well, an so we need to be dilligent. Remember, if you are treated poorly, you can always boycott.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:47 PM   #82
Certified Pretend Chef

When we fly, we stop and buy sandwiches at the airport after we go through the security check. The food is much better.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #83
Executive Chef

I do as well, along with maybe some low-sodium potato chips and a soda.

If it's a morning flight, it would be one or two burittos.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #84
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I want to travel. I'll put up with the rules.
Sure..it's a pain but... it's all worth it in the end.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Well, it DOES get you there the same day.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Alix, I could you. Thanks for saying everything I wanted to but just didn't have the time nor patience to type.

I just wrote this whole big "thing" and simply erased it - I still don't have the patience for this.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #87
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
Did anyone hear about this one?The airlines are looking to cut out more stuff that used to be for free and are contemplating charging for your first piece of checked baggage!USAirways is planning to get rid of free snacks in coach class, but it will leave it as is in first and business class.Delta, United, Northwest and Continental are all planning to raise the cost of airfares and may also start charging passengers for the first piece of checked baggage.
I think the airlines have to do something. It's not like it used to be. Flying is now more like bus service, anyone notice when flying that no one dresses up anymore? Back in the day, I'd go to Hawaii several times a year. I remember seeing people all fancied up and the stews were all fancy too. Now it's oversized baggage, oversized people and undersized planes, plus gas prices waaay up, what can they do to rescue their business? < but charge for things 'finally', it's been way too long that they've done nothing. Just my opinion tho.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #88
Master Chef

Last time I flew , it was to NC to be with my sister , whose daughter and grand daughter died in a car crash , back in 2005. Being deaf, I cannot hear when they announce boarding, so I go to the customer service and ask that someone come to me and let me know the flight is boarding. I had 3 flights going to NC and 3 flights back, and each time , I asked for help and they let me know the flight was boarding.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #89
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Last time I flew , it was to NC to be with my sister , whose daughter and grand daughter died in a car crash
I am so sorry to hear or see this about your family. My heart goes out to you and pray that somehow, that you are learning to cope. So very sorry for this LC61
Old 06-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #90
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
I think the airlines have to do something. It's not like it used to be. Flying is now more like bus service, anyone notice when flying that no one dresses up anymore? Back in the day, I'd go to Hawaii several times a year. I remember seeing people all fancied up and the stews were all fancy too. Now it's oversized baggage, oversized people and undersized planes, plus gas prices waaay up, what can they do to rescue their business? < but charge for things 'finally', it's been way too long that they've done nothing. Just my opinion tho.

When I worked for United Airlines and flew using the employee discount, I had to dress up to get on the planes and fly on stand-by.

But the time that I flew to Las Vegas, I didn't dress up because I paid up front for a round trip ticket. I flew Delta then.