Airlines May Start Charging for Other Things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
believe you me they can detect explosives or at least powder residue......arriving in Corpus Christi of all places......think they were having a slow day and bored.......I had some capsules of anitinflammatory medicine for my ongoing bladder condition.......I went thru the most humiliating searches ever...and then I had to go thru the blow your corpuscles apart machine........no explanations whatsover.....in a way can see why....but slowed me down by 20 minutes...........not only should you not pack your liquids on your carryon with liquids out anything powdered as well including medications that are in capsules unless you allow yourselves some boarding time........put your powdered prescriptive medicines in the required quart-sized along with the liquids.... it's up front and they can see it......instead of the 10 minute search thru your stuff....

And the bottom line is, if the gov't had done its job and caught more of those terrorists besides the ones in custody now, their deadly plan might have been foiled.

But instead, 3,000 or more innocent lives were lost on that warm sunny but horrible day!

Here's one for the books;

About a day or so after Hurricane Katrina, some of the military troopers were held up at the airports because they just couldn't get through security fast enough. They ended up missing their flight in an effort to get to Louisianna to help rescue some of the victims there who were stranded by the monster storm.

Last edited:
After waiting in long lines;

Emtying my pockets, taking my shoes off, going through the detector and the alarm still sounds, searched some more, let go, put my shoes back on, return the stuff to my pockets, called over by another TSA worker, asked to empty my pockets again, asked to open the carry-on for strange-looking stuff, cleared for that, put stuff back in pockets, bask to go through the detector again after taking shoes off again, empying pockets again for the third time in a row, and then after all that, my boarding pass gets checked.
That sounds inconvenient, but none of that sounds humiliating. Unless they made you do all that stuff while you were standing there in your underwear then I see nothing about that which is humiliating.

And the bottom line is, if the gov't had done there job and caught more of those terrorists besides the ones in custody now, their deadly plan might have been foiled.
I do not understand you Corey. Before you were complaining that it is inconvienient and humiliating to take off your shoes and stand in line and go through metal detectors and now you are saying that if they did their job (which is to check you out, going through metal detectors, checking your shoes, etc.) then none of this would have happened.

GB - I don't have a problem with extra perks for extra money. What I have a problem with is IF (and I admin that I have not researched thoroughly, therfore a big IF). The first class and coach tickets are staying status quo, then thn the increased operating costs are not being distributed equitably. In fact the folks that can least afford it are being made ot bear the increased cost. I could feel very comfortable wtih a uniform charge per seat of any class to cover increased costs. More equitable charge per sqft of cabin space.

Perks - leave them to those that want to / can pay for them. Plane gets in at the same time and I would rather spend my money on things on the ground that I can enjoy more.

AC

I'm makin this a last post here. I really6 didn't want to get into a fray, I have just has soo manu terrible flights and I don't feel safer, had to say something.

uh, having a woman pat you down all over you is humiliating even if it's in a cloaked room.......thank goodness it wasn't a Y guy.......and the very fact that you are being patted down in front of thousands of people when you know that you're not carrying any contraband is humiliating......you are their diversion for those 5 minutes...........so it's humiliating to say the least......they are professional and I understand the nature of the job but it's still humiliating to be patted down......

Adillo303, it is all semantics. Part of the "perks" of first class is not having to pay all those additional charges. But really think about it. The first class passengers have been paying for it all along. How much more is a first class ticked than a coach ticket? They are paying for a heck of a lot more than what the coach people are. The only difference is that it is all rolled into the price of the ticket instead of broken down into ticket, baggage, food, drink, etc.

I've learned to accommodate the security requirements to make my life easier.

I don't wear tie shoes.

I carry the absolute minimum of liquids, aerosols and meds in my carry-on and use the plastic bag as required.

I wear a plastic watch instead of one with a metal band as I usually do.

My keys are in the bag that gets x-rayed so I don't have to worry about emptying my pockets.

Pocket change goes into the carry-on.

Nothing in my pockets=nothing to empty out.

We check our bags when we fly so we don't have to deal with the liquids restrictions in carry-ons (shampoos, meads, etc).

Now I have to pay for that privilege and that annoys me.

The issue is one of perception. People make their flying purchases based on ticket price. If an airline raised its ticket price $15, it could lose sales. If it adds a baggage fee, that will often be overlooked in purchasing decisions. The same goes for fuel surcharges. Also, if they keep the other charges separate, they are easier to change unnoticed.

I just did a quick comparison of first class vs. coach for the flight I usually take to Aruba in January. RT coach cost $445. while first class on the same plane is $1319. That's almost three coach tickets!

I fully expect that price difference to buy me some privileges.

yep, I as a rule, Andy, unless it's international....found it's cheaper to overnite in Frankfurt for a hotel than to pay for the extra plane fare.......bladder can't tolerate any longer stay on the long flights.......so an overnight stay really helps me have some breathing room........do NOT want to be on an airline that's going to nickle and dime you for everything.............when flying for over 8 hours.........

Expat - They left my wallet, passport, tickets and cash in a money clip at the end of the belt, unwatched, after I took off my shoes and belt and walked me to a room to pat me down with me holding my pants up so that I was not walking with my pants around my ankle. THEN I got patted down, while my laptop bag went to some security person that pulled and tugged for five minutes and could not figgure how to get the laptop out, I wasn't allowed to do that. They refuse to look at my doctor issued card stating that I have artificial hips. After the pat down comes the wand why my beeping neck chain needs to be separated from my body, I do not know.

Andy M. I can doo all the things thaqt you do and still get the above, or sometimes mercifully a mini flavor of it. My MIL lives in Victoria BC and was in failing health every time I took DW to see her mom this happened.

GB - If the cost of First / Business went up with coach, I agree. If it did not then the cost covers what they WERE getting and the extra fuel is on us in coach.

Last edited:
How about everyone flies naked?? ;)

Another extreme measure would be to discontinue all carryons,(and that means purses and wallets, too) and nothing electronic, including keys, phones, ipods, cameras, watches etc. permitted on board. Make every airline charge the same for checking baggage, so any decision you'd make regarding which airline to use is based on travel records and ticket price, only. It would speed up the seating process, perhaps saving some of that precious jet fuel.

There was a cartoon in the New York Times this morning. It pictured a flight attendant instructing the passengers regarding the use of the oxygen masks. She explained that in the event of a drop in cabin pressure, the masks would deploy. She continued by saying that for an additional charge of $15, you could have the oxygen turned on.:LOL:

There was a cartoon in the New York Times this morning. It pictured a flight attendant instructing the passengers regarding the use of the oxygen masks. She explained that in the event of a drop in cabin pressure, the masks would deploy. She continued by saying that for an additional charge of $15, you could have the oxygen turned on.:LOL:

Now THAT is funny, I don't care who you are!!!LOL

I don't fly, therefore, I'm not affected, but, I think if every seat, no matter what class, is raised, that is fair, but, if it's only one class, no, not going to be good.

Expat - They left my wallet, passport, tickets and cash in a money clip at the end of the belt, unwatched, after I took off my shoes and belt and walked me to a room to pat me down with me holding my pants up so that I was not walking with my pants around my ankle. THEN I got patted down, while my laptop bag went to some security person that pulled and tugged for five minutes and could not figgure how to get the laptop out, I wasn't allowed to do that. They refuse to look at my doctor issued card stating that I have artificial hips. After the pat down comes the wand why my beeping neck chain needs to be separated from my body, I do not know.

Andy M. I can do all the things that you do and still get the above, or sometimes mercifully a mini flavor of it. My MIL lives in Victoria BC and was in failing health every time I took DW to see her mom this happened.

oh, goodness I feel for you.......

I had to take an emergency flight to Corpus Christi in order to make my mother in law's passing away--she died 45 minutes after my arrival later so I thank a higher being and her waiting on me.......the flight was expensive as I could only get business class on such short notice--no overnighting so I had to travel business class...I was able to hug her, kiss her and say goodye.....it was worth it........

i hate to say it but that's what it seems like---- what we Americans are down to........accept high fuel costs...they are with us for awhile if not forever.........quit accepting downclass service.......just charge more for the tickets.....it's embarrassing.......

I do not understand you Corey. Before you were complaining that it is inconvienient and humiliating to take off your shoes and stand in line and go through metal detectors and now you are saying that if they did their job (which is to check you out, going through metal detectors, checking your shoes, etc.) then none of this would have happened.

The whole thing is ridiculous.

And oh yeah; How about being patted down, felt up and your private parts being touched? Tell me THAT isn't humiliating.

Last edited:
How about everyone flies naked?? ;)

Another extreme measure would be to discontinue all carryons,(and that means purses and wallets, too) and nothing electronic, including keys, phones, ipods, cameras, watches etc. permitted on board. Make every airline charge the same for checking baggage, so any decision you'd make regarding which airline to use is based on travel records and ticket price, only. It would speed up the seating process, perhaps saving some of that precious jet fuel.

Fly naked?

Don't talk too loud. They might hear you and start making people do it!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom