Airlines May Start Charging for Other Things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Don't know.

Maybe those airlines that plan to do that, don't seem to get many passengers who go there - which doesn't make any sense either.

There's no one I know who doesn't like Las Vegas or wouldn't go there! Who can resist all that fun, glamour, the stars,the entertainment, roller coasters, shows, gambling and night club action?!

I wouldn't miss out on it!

Don't know.

Maybe those airlines that plan to do that, don't seem to get many passengers who go there - which doesn't make any sense either.

There's no one I know who doesn't like Las Vegas or wouldn't go there! Who can resist all that fun, glamour, the stars,the entertainment, roller coasters, shows, gambling and night club action?!

I could care less about Vegas :) I'm a homebody. ;)

Why Las Vegas? As long as people want to go there, and they certainly do, someone will fly them there.

Yields are too low since it's mostly leisure travelers (on vacation packages, etc.).

US Airways is already planning a hefty drawback of their hub there.

Yields are too low since it's mostly leisure travelers (on vacation packages, etc.).

US Airways is already planning a hefty drawback of their hub there.

Nail on the head right there.

It's not about volume on a route, it's about profit on a route. If a route is no longer profitable, expect to see the airlines walk away from them if they can't raise the rates.

They aren't making these decisions arbitrarily or easily. When you give up market share, it will be very hard to get it back. They're trying to get by in an environment of unprecedented change. It's not just the airlines either. The news here in town mentioned that for the first time in 26 years (!) the best selling vehicle in the US won't be the Ford F-series. It fell all the way to 5th place as consumers abandon trucks.

Airlines charging the rates they have (and still mostly do) for the convenience (even with the cattle car environment of coach) of being able to get from one coast of the US to the other in the same day really *aren't* high enough to support the capacity and costs.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't want to have to pay more, but if I'm honest about it, I can see quite clearly that I probably should.

I could care less about Vegas :) I'm a homebody. ;)

Have you ever been there? It IS a lot of fun!

United and AMR announced today that they plan to make some more job cuts.

United is cutting up to 1,100 positions, including management positions.

In addtion, it plans to park up to 100 planes, mainly the older less fuel-efficient ones, such as the Boeing 737 jetliners and a few 747s.

Also, it will be phasing out its Ted service, and those planes will be reconfigured to include first-class seats.

This all stems, as you know, from rising fuel costs. Both co's are saying that this move is necessary in order to save some money and to stay afloat and to avoid another Chapter 11 relapse.

Last edited:
Corey, I don't think the airiines will be cutting flights to Las Vegas anytime soon. A plane lands at McCarren Airport every two minutes like clockwork. Last year we had a record 42 million people come to Vegas, most of them by plane. It is the second most visited city in the world, first is Paris.

Don't know.

Been there....and don't see what all the fuss is about. In fact, I could honestly say I didn't really like it. Great food, shows, booze, roller coasters, clubs...I can get right here at home. The stars?? Who needs em? And gambling?? I work way too hard for my money to risk it on the odds those places are offering.

Corey, I don't think the airiines will be cutting flights to Las Vegas anytime soon. A plane lands at McCarren Airport every two minutes like clockwork. Last year we had a record 42 million people come to Vegas, most of them by plane. It is the second most visited city in the world, first is Paris.

Not right away, but in time.

It was also announced on the news this evening, that one or more of the six big airlines could end up filing for Chapter 11 within the next two years.

I wonder who will it be.

closed2ur0.gif
:mrgreen:

There's no one I know who doesn't like Las Vegas or wouldn't go there! Who can resist all that fun, glamour, the stars,the entertainment, roller coasters, shows, gambling and night club action?!I wouldn't miss out on it!
but I'll bet that cute little doggy in your avatar wouldn't mind missing it, just had to go there, he's sooooooo cute!;)

but the people watching in Vegas is fabulous, VB. It's your mall population on steroids.
Honey, have you ever taken on ride on NJ Transit??:wacko: I do get your point, however. I am, however, unsure what a post about how everyone must love Las Vegas is doing in the middle of an airline thread.

I just got tickets to visit my parents in Jacksonville, FL for September. $218, round trip from Newark, NJ. A bargain, as far as I'm concerned. I don't imagine it will last, though. It's not just the airlines, it's everything and everyone. With the exception of the upper crust, everyone is feeling, both emotionally and financially, the strain of the recession. Complaining will get you noticed for about 15 seconds. Actually coming up with ways to save, conserve, expedite, etc will get you support.

I realize griping feels good, but it's momentary. It's time to be constructive. Much more will be accomplished.

<~~~stepping off the soapbox now;)

My dogs airline ticket from Healthrow to San Francisco is £973!!! Thats almost $2000!!!! Oh but she is more than worth it and basically we have no choice. Id rather pay lots of money to fly than sit home and never see the world!

Honey, have you ever taken on ride on NJ Transit??:wacko:I just got tickets;)

I could be wrong here but don't think you could make the drive for that amount of money, and both ways? I'm with you, I think you got a great deal.

Husband and I were on the subway in NYC after a night @ Becco. He thoroughly enjoyed that by the way.
The largest woman in the history of mankind walked on the subway and proceeded to stand in front of a guy and his woman. The guys woman, got all upset and started screaming out loud so even Jesus could hear her about 'what that woman was doing with her BFH@$$ in her mans face. My husband nor I knew what to do. Should we leave, tell her to shut up, laugh, act like we can't hear? I just prayed neither of them would get mad at me for doing anything. I wondered what anything could/would be that may tick them off:huh: Yep transit systems are something else.

you look at the floor or at the ads, or as if you can see something 1,000 yards away. same as everyone else.

Continental has joined the parade.

They just announced that they will cut 3,000 jobs as well as get rid of older less-fuel-efficient planes.

A little boy almost died on an AA flight! The attendants passed out peanuts on the flight and the boy smelled them. He almost died. According to his mom, if he even SMELLS peanuts or peanut butter, he'll develop an allergic reaction.

Last edited:
Still reading this thread. I can't believe there is still complaining going on. I must be a masochist. Oh wait...its my job to read all the threads here to make sure no one is posting naughty things. I am feeling a bit tortured here. Can we stop complaining now and move on? Pretty please with sugar on it?

Back
Top Bottom