"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Exclamation Airlines May Start Charging for Other Things.

Did anyone hear about this one?

The airlines are looking to cut out more stuff that used to be for free and are contemplating charging for your first piece of checked baggage!

USAirways is planning to get rid of free snacks in coach class, but it will leave it as is in first and business class.

Delta, United, Northwest and Continental are all planning to raise the cost of airfares and may also start charging passengers for the first piece of checked baggage.

This all stems for the high cost of jet fuel. United is contemplating more pay cuts, job cuts, befefit cuts and outsourcing.

But on the other hand, Southwest is contemplating service to and from Boston.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #2
Master Chef

I saw it on the news. It doesn't bother me, I don't go anywhere.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:42 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Neither do I.

It's not that I'm afraid to fly. I've done it for years. I'm just tired of the nonsense that the gov't forces you to go through at the airports.

And now this farce with the airlines themselves. It's a joke!!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:45 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

What is the joke Corey? And what is the nonsense the govt forces you to go through?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:35 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
What is the joke Corey? And what is the nonsense the gov't forces you to go through?

The joke is the stuff everyone is forced to go through on the flights.

How about stuff being taken away that for years, used to be for free, being charged for every little thing, your child being kicked off a plane for saying bye-bye to another plane that he sees leaving, being forced to sit in the bathroom because the flight attendant doesn't like his or her jumpseat, not liking the lousy service on the flight and then being accused of creating a disturbance?

The nonsense is the stuff people are forced to go through at the terminals.

How about your shoes having to be removed, being seached two or more times, being searched at the gate room, being stopped from taking certain liquids on the flights for fear that they may be a liquid nytrogen for a bomb, being treated as though you're a terrorist, when on 09-11, the terrorists walked onto those four planes with weapons as though they were walking onto an elevator?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:39 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey123 View Post
T
How about your shoes having to be removed, being seached two or more times, being searched at the gate room, being stopped from taking certain liquids on the flights for fear that they may be a liquid nytrogen for a bomb, being treated as though you're a terrorist, when on 09-11, the terrorists walked onto those four planes with weapons as though they were walking onto an elevator?
Do you not remember the shoe bomber??? Is it really that much to ask to remove your shoes to ensure that someone does not have a bomb? That is a joke to you?

I will happily be searched two or more times to ensure I am safe. I do not consider that a joke at all.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:59 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Yes, I rember Richard Reid. Who can forget him?

It's just so crazy that every time it is learned that an attempt has been made to bring down or hijack an airliner, that that failed attempt is suspected with innocent people. And the traveling public is forced to put up with even harder scrutinizing.

I realise that precautions must be taken to ward off possible attempts of terrorism, but I think sometimes that they go to the extremes. Like friends always tell me, it's a false sense of security.

Even with all this high-tech stuff in place and all of their dilligent thinking to nab any possible terrorists, top analysts STILL say that it won't stop a terrorist from getting aboard an airliner.

Even the pilots themselves at one time or another have been known to attempt to fly an airliner while intoxicated.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:12 AM   #8
Master Chef

oh, goodness,,,,, as long as you guys put up with this nonsense, the more the American airlines are going to nickle and dime you.---it's embarrassing....just let them raise the prices and be done with it........
Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #9
Head Chef

When flying with the Air Force I felt real lucky to git a potty break let alone a box lunch
or a bag of peanuts. If you wanted any thing to eat you had better pack it your self
and I traveled all over the pacific.and most of the west coast from California to far north Alaska. I think a lot of folks have the gimmy attitude that just becauce they purchased a ticket they were deservings a lot of free give aways. When the truth of the matter is they purchased a ride from point a to point b. Think about it when you bought your ticket did it say free snaks or a meal, or free booze, not even in the very fine print did they say this. I think it is time that every body wake up there is no such thing as a free lunch
Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Pretty soon, if they can do it, they'll find a way to take out the seats and make you fly standing up!