"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Sushi,

Get some professional help immediately, please. I beg of you!!

Alcoholism is a very serious addition, and it ranks right up there with drug addiction, heavy smoking and compulsive gambling.

It hurts yourself as well as your friends and family. Consider going to a detox facility for a drying out.

Old 05-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run_Out
Sushi

I guess I am lucky, I enjoy a few beers almost everyday. Nothing more than that, it used to be a problem with my mother-in-law as she was a person raised to believe drinking was the devils work. It never caused any problems at work or at home... I still say a couple of beers are better for you than a cople of cokes.

Best wishes
later
Same here, Run_Out. I agree with you completely.

I've watched myself though, as I had a grandfather who was an alcoholic, and a mother and daughter who got hooked on Valium.

By the way, I had a mother-in-law like that too.

Old 05-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
Head Chef

When I was a young girl I asked my mother when will I enjoy the taste of liquor - her answer was when you get older.

I am 64 years old and I still can't stand the taste.

For all of you with addiction problems there is a lot of help out there. Go to meetings and talk with others - you will be surprised how much it helps.

Jill and Jolie
Old 05-20-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
DC Grandma

I was never a smoker and maybe I will have a Margarita on my birthday but that hasn't happened in several years. I think with all I'm going through right now..that's a good thing.

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:09 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Ive been dry for 2 months now. I'm trying not to drink at all until my next birthday in October. I probably wont make it, but I want to give it my all, I used to drink every day, but it led me down a bad path. I wish you all the best.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #16
Executive Chef

My grandfather was an alcoholic, and it killed him. My father refused to touch the stuff. Sadly, he passed from colon cancer in his 30's. My grandmother would always, and still does, get on a soapbox and preach about the evils of alcohol.

When I was younger, and in college, yes, I did dabble in the Dark Arts. However, the Specter of my family history shadows my activities. I went on a bender twice. Once for a birthday, once for a party in my honor as I left one job for another.

One of my instructor chef's in college would always preach about "Everything in Moderation". About the time I left college, I changed my drinking. Nowadays, I just don't drink that much. If I do, it's just one beer. I don't buy beer that often, maybe once a month, if that. I do have hard liquor, but I only cook with it.

I still practice moderation. However, some folks just can't do that. For those that can't moderate how much they drink, I think abstination is the only answer.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:19 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

alot of people are

Alot of people in this industry either abuse alcohol, drugs or both and the ones who don't abuse food. My experience is in there somewhere...... Don't feel like you are alone though as we all are addicted to something. But if you feel you have to have that drink to perform well or cope with the job and people around you, then you definately need to get help. Stay with the AA meetings.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #18
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thanks for the responses. Its not to fun nor easy being this way. Yesterday i woke up at 3pm. I went out and did a few errands. Then I got a case of 30 beers for $11 plus a pack of Marlboro Lights. Total of about $16.
Been drinking from 10pm till now. Not heavy. A few beers an hour.
Its bad for SO many reasons. But Im borred. I get borred somewhat quick. I have very little money so I cant go out and shop. I just stay here in my apartment drinking. Every woman I ask out is taken or not attracted to me.
My last job gave me constant heart palpitations. They are gone now. So I feel healthy enough to look for a new job. (I was fired in January)
Bills are pilling up. I am almost broke and almost out of unemployment pay.
Anyhew, its 9am and Im still drinking my beer. Im lonely. No one is here to hug me or to talk to. Hence the beer. BUUUUUT I have my 2 cats. I suppose. No parents. No siblings. Just music and movies. The pool at my apartment is now open but Im 20 pounds over weight. Not looking to s3xy.
But its my fault. Im alright though! Im always alright.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #19
Chief Eating Officer

I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who comes on here and declares they are an alcoholic and says they want to stop drinking, but then says they just bought a 30 pack because they are bored.

If you are so bored then why not go out and look for a job instead of sitting around drinking and posting on forums trying to drum up sympathy? If you are so bored then why don't you go get help for your drinking problem that you claim you want help for.

From where I sit, you seem to me like you have no desire to get help. You are just looking for attention and for people to come and say "Oh look at poor sushi. Everything will be OK. You are a great guy and we love you Blah Blah Blah". Sorry to put it so bluntly, but these are my views and I am not going to sugar coat them. If you REALLY wanted help then you could get it, but you obviously are just looking for attention.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:57 AM   #20
Executive Chef

I was an absolute chain smoker...first thing in the morning waiting for the coffee, between every class, between courses in a meal, waking up in the middle of the night to keep the nicotine level in my system high and even. And we aren't talking lights...non filters for me please! I quit with help and have stayed quit. Alcohol, I can easily do a beer with a meal or a glass of wine...and for special occasions a fine wiskey on the rocks. But I can't stand being dizzy, and a second drink or third beer or wine will put me way over my comfort level and I've learned to just not go there.

We all have issues...some may be more legal at the moment than others or have less immediate health risks, but all are real. The good news is there is HELP out there for us. Ask for it, and work at it...(yep it does take work and determination.) Go for it my friend.