Alcoholic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
To be fair there are several types of alcoholics.
Im not a crawler. I rarely black out. I drink too often. During holidays its everyday. 3 or 4 days strait. When its just a regular week I drink 1 or 2 times a week. BEFORE AA I was drinking almost every day and forgetting what I did the night before.
Yes Im an alcoholic. But I dont need a shoulder to cry on. I have my support group.
It really frustrates me to have someone think thats why I wrote this thread! Especially after I made it clear I did NOT write this thread for that reason.
I had someone encorage me to write about my problems. And I hoped that it would open a small floodgate of people that ALSO have addictions. So we can talk about it.
Some people DO need a hug. (Eva Longoria Im here if you need me :flowers::brows:) And some people DO need a support group and someone to talk too.
When I wrote this thread I had that in mind. That along with lots of beer and a fun evening of self loathing.
But youre darn tootin' right when I read:

Maybe she was trying to motivate me. Maybe it would 'sound' better if she was on the phone talking to me. But written out it just sounds horrible.
I would like to answer more questions before folks throw out 'tough love'. Maybe there really isnt any more alcoholics on here to speak out.
You're looking for attention from those gullible enough to play along, to enable with their words. You found a couple. Did that help? Do you feel stronger and more likely not to drink? I doubt it. It's so much easier to use this medium than to effect true change in the real world.

What you are doing here and probably have done in other threads is the cyber equivalent of narcissistic drunk calling and nothing more. Please don't insult us with baloney about floodgates and support. It is you who are being rude and insensitive by exploiting the good nature of your DC pals and by attempting to make your them complicit through your maudlin self-pity.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Anyone here an alcoholic? A few folks here know that I drink a lot on occasion. Soooooooo... I diagnosed myself as an alcoholic.
It really bugs me. Sober, Im a well thinking guy with a good heart. But after half a 5th of hard liquer I turn into a jerk that blabs and makes poor decisions. I went to AA last week and talked to a few guys that are in the same boat. They are about 20-22 years old. I told them 2/3 of the stuff that I did or what happened to me that involved alcohol and scared them stiff. It felt good to tell folks what this devil sauce does. I just wish I knew what it feels like to be able to have a few beers and just stop. Because I just want to keep drinking. :ermm:

Your post confuses me. Alcoholic? What is the purpose? Do you want advice, do you want to know who is? First, I don't feel this is an appropriate forum to air addiction problems in detail. You said you are an alcoholic, then you come back later & change your story - saying you don't always black out & there are different kinds of alcoholics. You say here you can't stop.

You say you went to a meeting last week and scared 20 year-olds stiff - talking about YOUR problems & feels good to TELL people your problems. That is very selfish. I respectfully say - if you go to any 12 step meeting - take a seat & LISTEN to what the speaker says. If you listened, you would have heard what the program is about.

My questions now - Did you stand up & identify yourself as an alcoholic (or whatever the 12=step program is (AA, NA, OA, Ea, etc etc etc). Did you p/u brochures?, did you get a list of meetings, did you buy the book, did you get a sponsor?! Did you go to only one meeting, and then come back & say AA is open 24/7 - are you giving advice & trying to help others. Do the work - & listen to Blackwell & oldtimer's that have at least a few years of sobriety under their belt! You are not working - what's an hour of your day EVERY day to go to a support group - instead of having AA members read this thread (what is that about!)

You say you're lonely, depressed - have posted problems ( ask for advice) re jobs, relationships -- start a thread & sometimes abandon it. Now you want this one pulled because you now don't have a problem. You say your life is **** I hesitate to give you advice, because you ignore it or walk away or act out in a virtual on-line reality - but here it is -- go to your family doc/gp & be honest. If life as bad as you say - get counseling. But, please don't expect people on line to hold your hand & make it better by feeding your ego.

P.S. I've seen some well-meaning? advice given here - but it is second-hand & not conmpletely accurate. Get it from the horse's mouth - not from people who knew someone & employ scare tactics. Not eeveryone needs to go to a detox facility - sushie is not working & maybe he doesn't have insurance. But that is besides the point. (You can get on a waiting list for a county bed, if you can't cope. But, you now say - you don't have a problem.) You will learn everything you need to know at a program, if you sit, listen & do the work.

Bottom line - Stop if you want. Don't stop, if you don't want - you don't NEED to do anything -- but please don't hand out advice here.

Ive made a mistake. I thought people on here respected others hardships and they would allow other people with adictions comment. Instead I get people with no experience being just not rude but ignorant. (SuzyQ)
I have one of my AA buddies that is next to me right now. He is BEYOND mad at some of these responses.
Look, if you have HAD an addiction.... respond.
If youre an Armchair critic (like SuzyQ) please save your time. Dont respond. You only make yourself look like a fool in the eyes of an addict.
And for the LAST time..... Im NOT LOOKING FOR AS SHOULDER TO CRY ON.

Last edited:
My questions now - Did you stand up & identify yourself as an alcoholic (or whatever the 12=step program is (AA, NA, OA, Ea, etc etc etc). Did you p/u brochures?, did you get a list of meetings, did you buy the book, did you get a sponsor?! Did you go to only one meeting, and then come back & say AA is open 24/7 - are you giving advice & trying to help others. Do the work - & listen to Blackwell & oldtimer's that have at least a few years of sobriety under their belt! You are not working - what's an hour of your day EVERY day to go to a support group - instead of having AA members read this thread (what is that about!)

Yes I did say I was an alcoholic.
I have a book on alcoholism.
I do have a sponsor.
I go to meetings every other week and we all help each other.
I start my new job on the 11th.
I had my AA group read this thread to prove to them Im getting verbally attacked and not prayed for. They not only agree they said I should either NOT come to DC anymore OR to enjoy the site and have this thread removed.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Instead I get people with no experience being just not rude but ignorant.

My point precisely, Sushie.

Again, I don't feel this is the appropriate forum, IMHO. Nor should you be quoting what an AA member told you to do re this forum. Since you have your sponsor at your side reading this thread, you probably know the drill - 90 meetings in 90 days.

P.S. Wanted to add re feeling alone, etc - I'm sure you know alcohol is a depressant. For someone to suggest getting an anti-ddepressant - is not good sound nor medical advice. You can't fix a problem unless you (one) own it.

I do wish you the best & I don't judge, criticise or name call - as you saw from my post. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I am going to go on record supporting GB's statement here about not pulling this thread. People here are being honest and no one here is being nasty.

Sushi, I'm also going to let you know that when you start a thread with this kind of potential, you have to take it the way it comes. All the mods and Admins have been keeping a close eye here to make sure this doesn't degenerate into a name calling match. It rides the edge from time to time, but mostly the people here have consistently said they care and that you need help.

Glad to see you are getting the help you need. Having said that to all of us, nothing more needs to be said here and we can all let this thread settle into obscurity.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Yes I did say I was an alcoholic.
I have a book on alcoholism.
I do have a sponsor.
I go to meetings every other week and we all help each other.
I start my new job on the 11th.
I had my AA group read this thread to prove to them Im getting verbally attacked and not prayed for. They not only agree they said I should either NOT come to DC anymore OR to enjoy the site and have this thread removed.

Congratulations!! At least you found a job. I wish that I had one!

I just stumbed upon this thread, I didn't want to read it because my dad was/is an alcoholic and has been from the time I was a baby. He is in AA and he has been in AA for 25 years - all I know is that is someone is an alcoholic, its a disease and they can't help themselves, the craving for alcohol is so strong. It is a very strong addiction and hard to break. Most people I know who are alcoholics have to hit absolute rock bottom before they try to change.

I'm glad you are in AA Sushi - good luck and keep taking it one day at a time, thats all you can do.

Toots said:
I just stumbed upon this thread, I didn't want to read it because my dad was/is an alcoholic and has been from the time I was a baby. He is in AA and he has been in AA for 25 years - all I know is that is someone is an alcoholic, its a disease and they can't help themselves, the craving for alcohol is so strong. It is a very strong addiction and hard to break. Most people I know who are alcoholics have to hit absolute rock bottom before they try to change.

I'm glad you are in AA Sushi - good luck and keep taking it one day at a time, thats all you can do.

Thanks Toots. :) It takes a LOT of guts to tell us that. I appreciate it. Im on the steep road to recovery. My dad is a gamble-holic and my grandmother is an alcoholic. Seems to run in the genes. :glare:
Prayers are ALWAYS welcome. For all the folks that have this.

Drinking alcohol

A lot of people drink to self-medicate. I speak from experience. Depression, boredom, insecurity & not liking yourself can contribute to it. Alcohol can make you think you are something special. What it really does is numb, de-motivate and depress you. If you really want to quit, get involved in your new job, keep busy, walk, drink water, think about why you really want to drink and why you don't. Try to avoid situations that encourage drinking.
I wish you the best.

-DEADLY SUSHI- said:
Ive made a mistake. I thought people on here respected others hardships and they would allow other people with adictions comment. Instead I get people with no experience being just not rude but ignorant. (SuzyQ)
I have one of my AA buddies that is next to me right now. He is BEYOND mad at some of these responses.
If youre an Armchair critic (like SuzyQ) please save your time. Dont respond. You only make yourself look like a fool in the eyes of an addict.
And for the LAST time..... Im NOT LOOKING FOR AS SHOULDER TO CRY ON.
I thought people on here respected others hardships and they would allow other people with adictions comment. Instead I get people with no experience being just not rude but ignorant. (SuzyQ).... If youre an Armchair critic (like SuzyQ) please save your time.

You know nothing about me or my personal life because I don't use discussscooking.com as my personal blog. As for your intended purpose, if others feel the need to discuss their addictions, I'm sure they're capable of doing so, without prompting from you, in a more appropriate venue.

So I stand by my remarks to you, strong though they may be. Anything else is mere enabling and would encourage you to continue to wallow rather than to do what you need to do to become well.

You're so right, JGDean & SuzyQ3!!

Drinking alcohol merey just numbs the pain, and when the high wears off, the problem that they had in the first place is STILL there.

Which means that they've drowned themselves in their own misery, but yet they STILL have not taken care of whatever is bothering them.

Then they use drinking alcohol as an excuse, saying things like; "Oh, I need a dring to get out of this problem that I'm having." "Oh, I'm going to drink my problems away." " Oh, I'm not going to any AA meetings because all they do is rag on me and make me want to drink even more." "I'm not going to work or school today." "Oh, I'mm not.......... No!!! They need to get off their rusty dusty and get out there to go try to get professional help!!

Then there are the types who get drunk, then blame others for THEIR problems to try to escape reality. "Oh, if you were around to be with me, I might not have been drinking." "You're the reason that I drink in the first place." "Why did you drink my drinks? They were mine!!"

Then there's the enabling issue;

If you help an addict in any way, such as buying them food, giving them money for alcohol, drugs or any other substance abuse, you're not helping them in a positive way! Their money is all going toward things that are ABUSIVE to them and never for good causes.

Even if you buy them clothes, stuff for the house, pay their way on the subway, pay their bills or anything, and they are not doing anything positive to try to help themselves, YOU ARE ENABLING them ANDTHEY ARE STILL OUT OF CONTROL.

They look for every lame excuse in the world to keep on feeding their destructive habit. In other words, they seem to have a bandaid for EVERYTHING.

Their only purpose in life seems to be finding ways to keep on drinking, rather than finding ways to stop!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom