"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 02:48 PM   #51
Cook

Quote:
I dont want sympathy. Im posting this so people know about my addiction. And maybe someone can relate.
Quote:
is a disease
Yes, but also an excuse. Deal with it.

If you are ready to quit, ready to do the things that need to be done - you will find, and deserve, plenty of support; and will eventually discover how much of that comes from within. If you aren't ready, then it would be unproductive for anyone involved to waste their time. There is nothing that can be done for someone that isn't committed tough it out doing the day-by-day, and even minute-by-minute work that sobriety requires.

I am approaching twenty years clean, and it will never be long enough.

The best thing that can happen is to hit bottom, as I did. I am completely clean, and don't have to worry about any gray areas of what I can or cannot do. I feel worst for those that can 'control' their excesses just well enough to keep job and family 'together', yet lead ruined lives, paving the way for their children to do the same.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:00 PM   #52
Everymom

D Blackwell, good for you! 20 years is quite an accomplishment.

And to the rest of you a short side note. Deadly Sushi, GB, and Buckytom have a history much longer than the rest of you probably know. It is because of this that their words may seem harsher to those of you who don't know the history they share. Those of us who have been with the site from nearly the beginning know each other fairly well by now.

And for my two cents. Sushi dear, you know we love you, you know we care. YOU need to care enough about yourself to do something about this. Thats it in a nutshell.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:43 PM   #53
Head Chef

I don't have anything constructive to say to the original poster.

I would like to share some thoughts with those who are replying to this thread. I don't really know or care if the original poster is married or has children. The following is based on my experiences.

It is very easy to unwittingly become an emotional enabler online. In the real world there are limits that are eventually imposed as a consequence of the irrational actions and demands of the addict/alcoholic. In the virtual world a child never suffers the abandonment of not being picked up on Friday of "Dad's weekend". Some of you seem to think Dad deserves succor for having the "courage" of posting a few half true, self absolving sentences. In fact I think he just craves attention and understanding. Problematically, he wants us to understand and pay attention to the fellow that he imagines he would be, were it not for all his problems.

The fact is that the whole "real" world is judging us on what we really are and do; not on what we imagine we could be, and might do.

I said I had no words for deadly sushi. Well, I do. Seek out a guy like D Blackwell, you know where to find him, with the intent of learning from him, not teaching him anything about you or anything else.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #54
Executive Chef

I was never even an alcoholic and I gave up drinking, mainly because it makes you gain weight, and there is no nutrishional value in it.

Also, because I've got health issues and that I on so much medicine, I just can't take chances and end up having a relapse of the illness I was diagnosed with, and also, I'm a diabetic.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:29 AM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Okay, here it is in a nutshell. Sushi...quit begging for attention. Understand that there are people who love you and want you to "get on with it."

Now, after falling on your face (and you will) grab yourself out of the slime and seek help.

Have you had enough attention? Now, crawl to the phone and....ASK FOR HELP.

I AM, AND MOST OF US HERE ARE DONE WITH OFFERING ASSISTANCE. (All caps, to get your attention.)

Been there. Got the t-shirt.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:18 AM   #56
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Quote:
Okay, here it is in a nutshell. Sushi...quit begging for attention. Understand that there are people who love you and want you to "get on with it."

Now, after falling on your face (and you will) grab yourself out of the slime and seek help.

I AM, AND MOST OF US HERE ARE DONE WITH OFFERING ASSISTANCE. (All caps, to get your attention.)

Been there. Got the t-shirt.
Crawl??? Begging for attention? HUH?!?!? How much do you think I drink?
Ill tell you. Once or twice a week. And very very rarely do I black out OR crawl.
Also, who is BEGGING for attention?! I dont understand that at ALL. Its responses like that, that make me wish I never even posted my problem.
Can some mod please delete this whole thread?
Old 06-02-2007, 06:58 AM   #57
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Crawl??? Begging for attention? HUH?!?!? How much do you think I drink?
Ill tell you. Once or twice a week.
OK you are joking right??? You come on here and admit that you are an alcoholic and then you get upset when someone assumes you drink and you try to play it off like you only drink once in a while??? and THEN you try to say it is not a call for attention. DS you need to wake up. Look at how many people have told you to wake up in this thread. Do you really think that all these people are wrong and that you are right?

You come here admitting a problem, but then don't want to hear it when people tell you that you need to do something for yourself to get help. If you were not just looking for attention then just what exactly did you expect to get out of this thread?

I am not going to pull this thread. No one has broken any rules. You just do not like what you are hearing. You will have to face the consequences of your actions. If another admin or mod wants to pull it then they will, but I will not contribute to you feeling sorry for yourself and not getting your way of having people say oh poor sushi here is a hug.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:27 AM   #58
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
To be fair there are several types of alcoholics.
Im not a crawler. I rarely black out. I drink too often. During holidays its everyday. 3 or 4 days strait. When its just a regular week I drink 1 or 2 times a week. BEFORE AA I was drinking almost every day and forgetting what I did the night before.
Yes Im an alcoholic. But I dont need a shoulder to cry on. I have my support group.
It really frustrates me to have someone think thats why I wrote this thread! Especially after I made it clear I did NOT write this thread for that reason.
I had someone encorage me to write about my problems. And I hoped that it would open a small floodgate of people that ALSO have addictions. So we can talk about it.
Some people DO need a hug. (Eva Longoria Im here if you need me ) And some people DO need a support group and someone to talk too.
When I wrote this thread I had that in mind. That along with lots of beer and a fun evening of self loathing.
But youre darn tootin' right when I read:
Quote:
Maybe she was trying to motivate me. Maybe it would 'sound' better if she was on the phone talking to me. But written out it just sounds horrible.
I would like to answer more questions before folks throw out 'tough love'. Maybe there really isnt any more alcoholics on here to speak out.
Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 AM   #59
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
OK you are joking right??? You come on here and admit that you are an alcoholic and then you get upset when someone assumes you drink and you try to play it off like you only drink once in a while??? and THEN you try to say it is not a call for attention. DS you need to wake up. Look at how many people have told you to wake up in this thread. Do you really think that all these people are wrong and that you are right?

You come here admitting a problem, but then don't want to hear it when people tell you that you need to do something for yourself to get help. If you were not just looking for attention then just what exactly did you expect to get out of this thread?

I am not going to pull this thread. No one has broken any rules. You just do not like what you are hearing. You will have to face the consequences of your actions. If another admin or mod wants to pull it then they will, but I will not contribute to you feeling sorry for yourself and not getting your way of having people say oh poor sushi here is a hug.
I agree with sushi that this thread should be pulled. He respectfully requested that from mods.

Amber
Old 06-03-2007, 04:19 AM   #60
Senior Cook

Addiction sucks. It becomes your god. It's all you can think about and anything that gets in the way of it makes you mad as heck. I've had several addictions in my life, but the most difficult were pain killers. I still jones for them 4 years later.

Good luck sushi. You have to really want to stop, otherwise you won't. It's really as simple as that.

Closed Thread