"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Alcoholic?

Anyone here an alcoholic? A few folks here know that I drink a lot on occasion. Soooooooo... I diagnosed myself as an alcoholic.
It really bugs me. Sober, Im a well thinking guy with a good heart. But after half a 5th of hard liquer I turn into a jerk that blabs and makes poor decisions. I went to AA last week and talked to a few guys that are in the same boat. They are about 20-22 years old. I told them 2/3 of the stuff that I did or what happened to me that involved alcohol and scared them stiff. It felt good to tell folks what this devil sauce does. I just wish I knew what it feels like to be able to have a few beers and just stop. Because I just want to keep drinking.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Head Chef

Sometimes it is just mental quirks that have never been diagnosed. A psychiatrist (whose name I do not recall) said that we all have triggers. And he wasn't just talking about addictions. He was talking about human behavior. For example he describes a person who normally drives the speed limit and for no apparent reason from time to time that same person drives 100 mph. They have theorized instantaneous amnesia. The question evolves around the characteristics that are influenced during these austere time frames. They have eliminated schizophrenia which dominates the state of mental health and is not lucrative for occasional or temporary chaos.
The study deals with the creative factor of processing information as in dealing with probability and possibility.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Check your PMs Sush.

Barbara
Old 05-19-2007, 04:01 AM   #4
Head Chef

I am an addict to prescription pills and am in an intense outpatient treatment program for it right now. In a few hours I'll be going to my first AA meeting (a requirement for the treatment program).

I've lost a few jobs due to my addiction and wrecked my car on March 31st. I'm lucky to be alive.

Last night I called someone in my group therapy to make sure we were still set for this mornings AA meeting and he admitted to me that he HAS NOT been sober during treatment, that he has been drinking and he is scared...very scared.

PM me if you want to talk....
Old 05-19-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Good luck with your meeting Angie. I'll be praying for you (hope you don't mind) that everything goes well.

Barbara
Old 05-19-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
Head Chef

Thank you!
Old 05-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Sushi

I guess I am lucky, I enjoy a few beers almost everyday. Nothing more than that, it used to be a problem with my mother-in-law as she was a person raised to believe drinking was the devils work. It never caused any problems at work or at home... I still say a couple of beers are better for you than a cople of cokes.

Best wishes
later
Old 05-19-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

im a third generation alcoholic, my mom is an alcoholic, my father died of alcoholism when he was 38, and both of my grandparents on one side were alcoholics.

i've been hospitalized for drinking a couple times with liver failure and acute pancreatitis, not fun stuff..it's no joke.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #9
Head Chef

An Anonymous Prayer for you:

There’s someone in the mirror looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone that you could love if you wanted to. Someone that no one else loves. Someone that you can have and to hold all the days of your life.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone who doesn’t have much. Someone who needs to be loved and cared about. Someone who needs a friend to hold hands with everyday.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone who is alone and afraid. Someone who has travel a long road. Someone who needs to be invited to share a smile. Someone who needs a place to call home.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone who is hopeless and helpless. Someone who isn’t going to finish the race. Someone who needs a tug and a shoulder to lean on. Someone who walks a mile.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone needs your love. Someone has tears in their eyes. Someone needs to share your day. Someone who has never done wrong has no place to turn.

Someone in the mirror is looking at you. Someone is saying goodbye. Someone is kind and thoughtful. Someone is someplace no body is looking. Someone in the mirror is looking at you.
Old 05-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to goodgiver
Oh my what can I say. Both Hubby and me are RECOVERING ALCOHOLICS of 30 years. Yea you read right Hubby is 75 and I am 69. So I think I can speak with some authority. The only way you will ever be able to stop drinking is if you want to. And as far as being a social drinker once you have declared yourself a alcoholic you can't socially drink. In our cases you are either a drinker or a non drinker. For us there is no in between. Its either black or white and there is no gray area. I don't mean to discourage you but life is so much better now that we do not need alcohol or for that matter smoking either. To bad all this couldn't happen before but then that was yesterday and today's today. Good luck we will be praying for you. You do know that praying does help?