"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 PM   #11
Master Chef

Aldi now accepts some credit cards, Visa Debit and credit, Maestro, Delta and Electron and MasterCard.

I agree that the quarter thing can be a pain, I solved it by carrying an old pill bottle in the glove compartment (are they still called glove compartments?) with a few dollars worth of quarters for parking meters, tolls, Aldi, etc...

Old 01-21-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

They do have handheld basketsj, at least at the one that just opened sort of near us. It's pretty small and I wasn't impressed by the stock or the prices. It's not worth it to me to go that far out of my way.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Aldi now accepts some credit cards, Visa Debit and credit, Maestro, Delta and Electron and MasterCard.

I agree that the quarter thing can be a pain, I solved it by carrying an old pill bottle in the glove compartment (are they still called glove compartments?) with a few dollars worth of quarters for parking meters, tolls, Aldi, etc...
Heck, I keep about $10 in change in the cup holder of my car (change from going through drive throughs). I keep a cloth covering it, so the methheads don't break my car window to steal $7 in change.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:01 AM   #14
Executive Chef

We went in one once. Didn't need a quarter for a cart. Didn't buy anything.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
Master Chef

My FIL shops at Aldi's all the time. It's only about half a mile from his apartment and now he's alone after MIL passed this summer. He likes everything there except their pasta. He still goes to a Meijer grocery store on occasion since they have the ice cream flavor he likes and picks up some pasta there too. We don't have an Aldi's here yet but there are plans for 2 to open some time this year. One will be quite close. It will be interesting since Whole Foods just opened nearby too. From one extreme to the other in the same block!
Old 01-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I stopped going there several years ago because they charged customers a quarter to use their shopping carts.
I view this as a minor inconvenience. Having the customers return the carts to the rack is efficient and ensures that there aren't any out in the parking lot to dent cars or to take up parking spaces. It also keeps Aldi from having to pay an employee to wrangle errant carts back to the store.

I had never heard of Aldi until I moved to Kentucky in 1994 and my best friend introduced me to the store in our area. I like most of Aldi's products, especially their Grandessa line, which equates to their "premier" line of foods. The Grandessa "house" salad dressing is fantastic.

I'm not certain how long the store has been in our area but, last year, it was completely torn down and a nice spacious new one was built. Corporate opted to do that because this particular store was one of their top-producers.

Their prices on nearly everything are fantastic and I find Aldi a good source for stocking up on basic canned goods. Can't beat their prices on those.

And, for anyone who is interested, Aldi is a German-based company that was founded by two German brothers in 1946.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
Master Chef

I've never been in an Aldi - I don't think they have any stores in California. I read somewhere they will be expanding to the west coast in the near future, though.

edited: just found this...
http://supermarketnews.com/store-des...alifornia-2016
Old 01-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have only been to Aldi in Copenhagen. Yeah, the prices were good and the selection a bit limited. However, if I lived near one, it would definitely be one of the places I shopped. Unfortunately, there are no Aldis in Canada.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:24 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We have an Aldi's here, have never been to it, but their flyer has some interesting stuff and good prices.
Old 01-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #20
Master Chef

When we lived in OH, we had an Aldi's about three miles from our home. As a Girl Scout leader in the mid-1980s, I found them invaluable as a source for inexpensive food of a decent quality. Not top quality, but good enough. After buying a few things you could pretty much figure out which selections of foods would be winners and which would be duds.

Fast forward to our move to MA in 2000, and not an Aldi's to be found. When they finally did move into the market area, Himself and I checked them out. We were surprised to find out that they had improved on practically every food product they offer. It's a farther drive to get to either Aldi's "near" us than most other grocery stores, but if we need to shop at a Lowe's or Target store, we always make our drive to the location with both of those stores AND Aldi's.

As far as the quarter goes? I always have some change in the car. Most of the time, when I'm ready to return a cart, there is someone else coming up to claim one for themselves. I usually roll the cart to them to use. When they offer me their quarter I tell them to just use my cart, then to "pay it forward" for the next shopper. It costs me an entire 25 cents to feel a tiny bit generous, and I know I saved a whole lot more than that by shopping at Aldi's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
...And, for anyone who is interested, Aldi is a German-based company that was founded by two German brothers in 1946.
Who, incidentally, found a much better way of dividing up the family corporation than the two cousins who went to court to settle their differences over Market Basket.

The Backgrounder: The Market Basket Strike