Alert, bargain hunters!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I'm a big Internet shopper and like Overstock.com. Saved lots there. Tonight I learned something really cool. I had some cookbooks on my Amazon wish list and didn't get them for Christmas. No big deal. I was about to order them from Amazon when I received an email from Overstock this morning saying all items, for a limited time, had $1.00 shipping. Got my attention.

Didn't know Overstock carried books but, after a search, discovered they did. Looked for my books and, yep, they were there. Not only were they there, they were a cheaper than the used ones on Amazon. Okay, only a few cents cheaper, but they are NEW books.

Put the books in my cart and noticed that I was charged $2.95 for shipping and not $1.00, so I called Overstock. Media shipping is always $2.95 so the special rate didn't apply. That's fine. It's still less than Amazon.

Ordered my books from Overstock and can't wait to get them. Yeah!:clap::clap:

My Christmas treat to me.

Yippee! I love new cookbooks - I bought one for myself about Mexican cooking not long ago. No matter how much we think we know, there is always something new to learn. THAT is the fun of cooking!

I will probably be stopping by to check some of their stuff out. I have some cookbooks on my list including South American, Central American, Indian, Thai, Indonesian, and Chinese.
My eyes are bigger than my wallet unfortunately! LOL.

I have been thinking about getting a bread cookbook. Let me know how you like it.

I received Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day as well as The Bread Baker's Apprentice for Christmas. The former is not worth the money unless you get it for real cheap. It's mostly recipes that you can find online, and many of them are so unique I wouldn't buy the ingredients. For me it was a lot of hype that didn't meet MY expectations, but someone else might think it's fantastic. I look at it as $17 to tell you you can put a double NYT recipe in the fridge and keep it for 2 weeks (I pitched it at 10 days because it got too strong). On the other hand, Peter's Reinhart's book is superb, and if someone wanted to own only one book on bread baking, I would unequivocally recommend The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It's like a well-written textbook that you'll not want to put down. It's a beautiful blend of art and science that leaves you wanting to head to the kitchen and start baking every loaf he describes, and to start experimenting on your own. Of course some might not like the amount of detail (minutia if you will) that he goes into, but I found this book to be intellectually stimulating and a great baking book as well.

That's my book report from my Christmas presents.

I'll get Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day and a cupcake cookbook that I can't recall the name at the moment. I can't wait until I receive the books. I'm a happy camper.

Could it possibly be Cupcake Heaven? I just got that one and it is great!

I received Artisan Breads in Five Minutes a Day as well as The Bread Baker's Apprentice for Christmas. The former is not worth the money unless you get it for real cheap. It's mostly recipes that you can find online, and many of them are so unique I wouldn't buy the ingredients. For me it was a lot of hype that didn't meet MY expectations, but someone else might think it's fantastic. I look at it as $17 to tell you you can put a double NYT recipe in the fridge and keep it for 2 weeks (I pitched it at 10 days because it got too strong). On the other hand, Peter's Reinhart's book is superb, and if someone wanted to own only one book on bread baking, I would unequivocally recommend The Bread Baker's Apprentice. It's like a well-written textbook that you'll not want to put down. It's a beautiful blend of art and science that leaves you wanting to head to the kitchen and start baking every loaf he describes, and to start experimenting on your own. Of course some might not like the amount of detail (minutia if you will) that he goes into, but I found this book to be intellectually stimulating and a great baking book as well.

That's my book report from my Christmas presents.

Thanks, Joe. (I appreciate your evaluation, especially since your name is "Joe.")

Will let everyone know how things transpire.

Back
Top Bottom