Alexander Solzhenitsyn died

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fisher's Mom

Executive Chef
I just saw that he died today at the age of 89. His book, the Gulag Archipelago, had a profound effect on me as a young girl. It was the first time I began to realize how different and privileged our life is in the United States compared to many other places. I'm saddened at his death but glad to know that he had a long life. Anybody else remember reading his books?

Thank G-d. He lived about 89 years too long. There were always rumors of plagiarism. Which I could truly believe. His language was the language of uneducated peasant. He never learned to speaker English, actually never made an attempt to learn English. He hated America and Americans, even though this country offered him new life, new home, and everything else. He hated pretty much anybody who was not Russian. He was a racist and anti-semi. He went back to Russia just to speak against minorities and to show his unhappiness with was going on and remembering good old days. I could go on and on. Yes what was consider his books were eye opening for many, but for what he was he got way too much credit.

Thank you CharlieD, I did gain a deep insight into the Soviet criminals from him but yes, it was true, he came here to live and just seemed to hate us also. Didn't know he was antiseminite.
Peace my friend

Whatever, he will be a piece of history and a name that will be remembered for a very long time. His was the name that exposed the Soviet govt for what they were.

Anybody else remember reading his books?

Yes, I remember "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" the best.

Editorial Reviews

Amazon.com
Solzhenitsyn's first book, this economical, relentless novel is one of the most forceful artistic indictments of political oppression in the Stalin-era Soviet Union. The simply told story of a typical, grueling day of the titular character's life in a labor camp in Siberia, is a modern classic of Russian literature and quickly cemented Solzhenitsyn's international reputation upon publication in 1962. It is painfully apparent that Solzhenitsyn himself spent time in the gulags--he was imprisoned for nearly a decade as punishment for making derogatory statements about Stalin in a letter to a friend.

Oh I agree, Solzhenitsyn's books were brave and I learned much from them - when I said Soviet criminals I meant the communists in charge. Remember, CharlieD had to live with all of it.

Part of the history he will be, history more celebrated here in the USA than in his home land. Few and far between of the young generation today, in Russia, know or care about him.

Lets please keep politics out of this and remain respectful no matter what we thought of the man. Thank you.

Sorry Charlie, but the community policies do not just apply to being respectful to only DC members. As my Grandmother would say, if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all.

Charlie, my comment was not aimed at any one person in particular. It was a general comment for everyone. However saying thank G-d that someone died is certainly not within our expected behaviors here.

I'm sorry - I didn't realize there was so much controversy surrounding this man. I had only read some of his books when I was young and was profoundly impacted by them. From reading your response Charlie, I did some more research and I can see why you feel so strongly. He appears to have been a very troubled man. Perhaps because of his own imprisonment. Sometimes being tested in terrible ways doesn't bring out a man's higher nature but instead riddles them with hatred. I really don't know in his case but I'm sorry if this brought up unpleasant memories for you, my friend.

Back
Top Bottom