"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
OK, so is DC now considered a meeting for all of us?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:29 PM   #42
Master Chef

A possible reason for drinking while cooking is to cleanse the palate. That is, when I'm prepairing a meal, I often taste and adjust the seasonings of the various dishes being made. And often, I'm tasting wildly different flavors in quick succession. It is well known that alcohol brings out the flavor in certain herbs and spices. So a bit of it rolling around on the tongue may enhance a chef's ability to taste his/her creations and adjust more accurately.

For me, I use milk to cleanse my palate. I find it clean, and with a taste that doesn't linger in my mouth, making me ready to taste whatever it is that I need to tate next. I also am fond of a bottle of ice water when I'm cooking. Far fewer calories, but it takes more to clean out existing flavors.

I neve drink alcoholic beverages, personal choice, but can understand the logic of some chef's using them while cooking. Of course, if the alcohol is a crutch, or used to reduce stress, then the cook is merely diminishing his/her skill level while drinking. Certainly, alcohol frees teh reactive brain while putting asleep the part of the brain that helps us manage our impulsive side. This may allow some to try new things more willingly, especially if they are unsure of themselves. But again, to me, that's just a crutch and isn't really helping, but rather hurting them in the long run.

And yes, I am a very analytical personailty. You'll just have to put up with me, 'cause I can't seem to change that part of my personality.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #43
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Drinking takes all the fun out of cooking and cooking takes ALL the fun out of drinking.
Well, you're HALF right, jp!

Lee
Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #44
Master Chef

ChefJune, what is Krug?
If DC sets up a meeting, I will be more than happy to be the designated driver, LOL.
If the wine or beer is for cleansing the pallet, that would explain why I never picked it up as I don't like most wine out there and not a huge beer fan either.
For that matter, I don't normally like having any alcoholic beverages with my meals, but am more than happy to serve any guest and DW wine or other alcoholic beverage with their meal.
Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with anyone that likes to drink as long as they don't take it into public (IE Driving) or disrupt others with it. And at most parties I like to have a few as well. It is just that for whatever reason I don't like to mix cooking with drinking, one seems to interfere with the other for me.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:41 PM   #45
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
ChefJune, what is Krug?
What is Krug, he asks?????? My all-time favorite Champagne (when someone else is buying)! Check this out!
Old 05-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #46
Master Chef

Wow! Don't think I have ever had champagne before. I had something once that was passed off as champagne, but was later told it was just 'sparkling'?
I will have to give it a try one of these days, as long as someone else is buying!! LOL.
And pink champagne, don't know what that is either but seems a lot of people do like it.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:15 AM   #47
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Buddy, thankfully all (good) Champagne is not as expensive as Krug. In fact, the real thing can be had for $27 a bottle (Nicolas Feuillatte Brut). and there are some other tasty sparkling wines that are not Champagne that cost significantly less than that.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:50 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Red Wine, Tea, May Help Control Blood Sugar
Red wine and tea may help to stem the diabetes epidemic. Researchers at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, have shown that both beverages may help regulate blood sugar levels in those with type 2 diabetes. Their results were published in the April 3, 2008 Journal of Food Biochemistry.

Both red and white wines were tested to determine how well they could inhibit the activity of a target enzyme called alpha-glucosidase, which regulates the absorption of glucose by the small intestine. Red wine inhibited the enzyme by nearly 100 percent, interfering the absorption of glucose into the bloodstream. White wine inhibited it at about 20 percent.

This is what I use to convince me that red wine is, at present time, supposedly good for you