"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
Head Chef

All Hallows Eve

Why do you like Halloween?

I love the magical/mystery, the smell of candles in a jack-o-lanter, costumes, erieness, and the time of year as well.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Oh, YEAH ~ someone else that calls it All Hallows Eve. I'm excited, even doing a special recipe to celebrate. Probably won't get a lot of kids, which is nice, but I'm going to dim the lights, light the candles and enjoy.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I love Halloween!!!! Everything about it. It's such a magical treat. It's the one day of the year you can try on being whoever or whatever catches your fancy. I remember as a child, this presented endless opportunities. Something to daydream about for at least a month before the actual night.

Plus for a child, being able to walk up to grown-ups houses and just by knocking on the door, you are rewarded with candy! All sorts of candy. Stuff you've never seen before sometimes.

Most importantly, it happens at night. That's always special. In the semi-darkness, your disguise becomes more real. People actually don't recognize you sometimes. You can laugh and squeal and make spooky noises to your heart's content. It's pure delight for one whole evening. How great is that?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I love Halloween but sadly I live too far from town to get into it like I would like.I remember years ago in Durango,Colorado when I was much younger my 20s and early 30s they would rope off part of Main Street it was so great I never saw as many creative costumes as I did there.Such a blast especially if I got a Mushroom Appetizer first
Old 10-30-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I prefer to call it Samhain (pronounced SOW-in), but Halloween works as well. Great time. Wonderful time to be alive and sharing!
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I enjoy it. We look forward to the mayhem that will happen. Fortunately, we'll probably be able to sit out on our front porch tomorrow night and hand out treats to all the local ghosties and goblins.

There are a number of children/candy beggars who create their own costumes. Some of them are nothing short of awesome. Those are the ones we look forward to. We anticipate tomorrow night. Should be fun.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

For me halloween was all way a night of great anticipation of what kinds of goodies I would git from my neighbors, most knew who I was being I was very big for my age but it was a lot of fun for a kid and if my memory serves me right it all ways rained or was cold
Now tonight in Des Moines it is a perfect night for the kids warm no rain and ever so much ground to cover . Now I like Halloween for the joy it brings to the little kids with there cute costumes
Old 10-30-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
I prefer to call it Samhain (pronounced SOW-in), but Halloween works as well. Great time. Wonderful time to be alive and sharing!
Keltin ~ Do you pronounce it? Sow-AIN, Or Sow-IN? It's great to see someone here that knows one of the proper names.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:12 PM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Keltin ~ Do you pronounce it? Sow-AIN, Or Sow-IN? It's great to see someone here that knows one of the proper names.
To tell the truth, I say Sow-Ain with a bit of the A in “in” part of the pronunciation…..But that is old school. How ‘bout you, how do you pronounce it?
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
To tell the truth, I say Sow-Ain with a bit of the A in “in” part of the pronunciation…..But that is old school. How ‘bout you, how do you pronounce it?
Same. Sow-AIN, verses Inn. But the sign out front says All Hallows Eve. I freak my neighbors out enough walking out in full Ren garb every weekend in October and November. Putting Samhain on the sign might push them over the edge.