"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-13-2006, 02:54 PM   #11
Senior Cook

thanks for the comments, team...

so far, no luck with the recovery of the machine... that's the bad news.

the good news is that all of my checking accts, etc. were put "on hold," and so far, there have been NO CHARGES to any of my accounts; so i'm good on that end.

as for the recipes... i know most by heart for main courses; it was the dessert recipes that i'd worked soooooooooo hard to perfect that are gone forever.

sweet potato bread
butternut squash pie
etc.

i guess i'll just have to get back in the kitchen... crank up the oven, and get to baking again.

and no... this does NOT feel good at all.

Old 12-13-2006, 04:29 PM   #12
Head Chef

black chef I am so sorry for your loss. I always say what goes around comes around and the car thiefs will get theirs.

Hopefully you backed up your receipes. Again I am so very sorry.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:16 AM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
It ticks me off way beyond belief when people steal stuff! My fingers are crossed that they'll find your laptop! I know first hand how it feels to have something stolen. Back during the summer someone stole my son's motorcycle (it was one of those crotch rocket pocket bikes) out of our driveway. It was chained to the basketball goal & they even took the chain with them after they cut it off. They left the $3,000 pressure washer that was sitting right next to it along with a bunch of tools & other stuff. We filed a police report & gave the detective pics of the bike but they never found it.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Sorry to hear of your misfortune black chef. I know how it feels to lose all those nice recipes you have worked on and cherished. Not even money can buy that! In any case you have DC to turn on whenever you need a specific recipe. So put this incident behind you and cheer up! All the best for a Happy & Merry Christmas!
Old 12-14-2006, 07:38 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

that really sucks black chef. too bad you didn't have one of these: LoJack for Laptops - Stolen Computer Recovery Service

i feel your pain. i've had my car broken in to several times in the city over the years. like you, they took some stuff, like a beavis and butthead visor clip and old, cheap sunglasses, but they left other valuable stuff like a big bag of quarters for the parking meters, and an expensive hunting knife.

the worst was when, like a dumb a$$, i left my tackle box in the trunk. they stole it, making away with fishing reels and lures that were my dad's or grandfather's from ireland, some over 100 years old. if i ever see that tackle box next to a guy fishing in the hudson river, he's going in the river and i'm taking my box back!

now, i vigilantly make sure there's nothing left in my truck that can be stolen, or that i care about.

i'll keep my fingers crossed that the thief will do something stupid to get caught, and you'll get your laptop back.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 07:50 AM   #16
Sous Chef

Big Bummer! I had my pocketbook stolen this summer and it took months to get it straightened out, mainly because of automatic checking withdrawals (I had to open a new account--you should also). Be sure that checks that are outstanding aren't "bounced"--another gift that keeps on giving!!
List your name with Equifax--and report it to the police. This could come back months later (since they specifically stole the checkbook). You need a new account--as I said.
Son's home was broken into and computer stolen--PICTURES of DGS!!!!
Backup, people!!
Old 12-14-2006, 08:16 AM   #17
Head Chef

Sorry Chef, I hate a thief. Never leave your billfold or check books in your car. Nothing is safe now a days.Sorry about your lap top, I don't suppose your insurence will cover that.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #18
Sous Chef

Oh my, BC - I can't even imagine your loss - it would be like loosing a part of your life, for heaven's sake. I hope you'll yell for help if you get stuck recreating your lost dessert recipes!! At least to give you a push in the right direction.

The hair on the back of my neck is standing up at the thot of losing my recipes....
Old 12-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I am so sorry, it is bad enough that you get your computer stolen, but it is utterly unforgivable that anyone will pinch from you something personal which no money can replace.

We always keep two backup disks for our particularly important files just in case.
I really hope you can recover many of your recipes somehow, and remember we are always here to help you with that!
Old 12-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #20
Sous Chef

There is nothing lower than a thief! We had two former employees here break in and clean all the cash they could find out, along with tools, fishing gear, and goodness only knows what else we'll find missing.

A couple years ago the local police called to ask if there was a reason that a person they had in custody would have a book of my checks. #ell NO!!! She claimed she found them in the dumpster. #ell NO! Half of me says whack their hands off! Had to call the bank and put alerts for all of the checks in that book. What a pain.

« Fyi | trivia 12/14 »