All things Magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
I would like to talk magazines. What do you get? What would you recommend? What are your favorite features in the mags?

I currently only get Fine Cooking and I LOVE it, but really hate their website. Its awkward and you have to pay to use it. I also just got a promo for Bon Appétit for $18 for a year. Worth it? Anyone got a comment on that for me?

I also asked this question on the Facebook page if anyone would rather go check it out over there, here's the link. Discuss Cooking | Facebook

we get a few mags: north american fishing club, bassmaster, better homes and gardens, boy's life from the scouts, and a mini-mag with our newspaper called better living.

the fishing mags are good, and better homes and gardens and better living have very good recipes, the latter focusing on seasonal stuff.

unfortunately boy's life is horriffic! it is a jumble of colours, fonts, clippings, stories, cartoons, and ads on every single page. you'd have to have the attention span of a gnat to want to read something that disorganized and unfocused.

Ken used to get SI and the kids got the SI for kids. They are OK, but not worth the subscription price.

I get Reader's Digest but am stopping it because of all the ads and fewer articles. I get Reminisce and Reminisce Extra. I enjoy both of those. People send in stories and pictures of childhood from long ago. I also get Guideposts and Angels on Earth that have inspirational stories. I just recently added World of Puzzles to the mix. It has a lot of different crossword and other kinds of pencil puzzles to work.

i am currently let all of my magazines lapse. more ads than anything. why should i pay for people to advertise ? bon appt. is the worse. also features a life style that is so outside my experience, i can't relate.

Since most are on line, I don't get any mags any more. My mom gets B&H. I take those home for the recipes when I'm there. Alix, great recipes are available on the LCBO web site. Canadian Living, and Chatelaine also have great recipes.

I get Reader's Digest but am stopping it because of all the ads and fewer articles...

i am currently let all of my magazines lapse. more ads than anything. why should i pay for people to advertise?

I just let my subscription of 5 years of the Smithsonian stop. Same problem; too many ads and not enough articles. The articles are getting more and more boring also.

My notice to magazine publishers?....Bury me in ads and you'll get no money from me! I'd rather do without.

I used to subscribe to Food and Wine, Cook's Illustrated, Bon Appetit and a variety of non-cooking mags. I dropped them all years ago as I got fed up with reduced content of interest and the proliferation of advertising.

I get Cooking Light but I'm thinking of letting it expire. I haven't made one recipe out of it in a year.

I still get Taste of Home as a Christmas gift every year from my Mom, but ever since Reader's Digest took over as publisher it has gone more ads and more cooking with name-brand food. If it wasn't a gift I'd let it go too.

I also get one called Hobby Farm Home. It has interesting articles, some good recipes, and not a lot of ads. I'm renewing that one.

I also get Consumer reports and some gardening magazines.

I'm not necessarily bothered by the ads. I like magazines in the bathroom, they don't suffer as badly if you drop them in the tub. I also like the pictures to drool over. I admit that any magazine I get is a gift subscription.

I'm not necessarily bothered by the ads. I like magazines in the bathroom, they don't suffer as badly if you drop them in the tub. I also like the pictures to drool over. I admit that any magazine I get is a gift subscription.

I think that is where my magazines end up too. Maxim(I don't know how/why I get it, but have been for a couple of years now), Washingtonian, Pop Sci are all bathroom reads.

I love Art Culinare. Deff one of my favorite foodie Magazines. Only comes out every 4 months though.

Also, Food and Wine is ok, I like some of their seasonal series.

Cook's Illustrated, Real Simple and Everyday with Rachael Ray. National Geographic, Smithsonian and more catalogs than anyone could ever want...they are good for my current short attention span.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom