All-time favorite movie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
img_207420_0_cf32af3ede2f8a0243be099d50e79de0.gif
it would take me a week of title searching to answer; i'm sure i've forgotten movies which shouldn't be forgotten-
but having said that-
"arlington road" jumps to mind for the quirkiest ending........
"blazing Saddles"- if i wasn't on the aisle, i would have been in somebody's lap, laughing uncontrollably-(sp?)
"let it ride"- see! i forgot that one............

Last edited:
Texasgirl, I take it that you're a big fan of Morgan Freeman :clap:

I've never seen a movie (or anything else) in which he appeared that I didn't like. Right up to & including WoTW and Batman Begins this year.

Do you remember The Electric Company? It was a kid's educational show on PBS (it was on between Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street, back in the 70's). Ah I suppose you're too young to have seen it. EVERYBODY appeared on the show, at one time or another. Morgan Freeman had a recurring role, but other "regulars" included Rita Moreno, Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder (voice only...the voice of Letter Man), Bill Cosby, and Joan Rivers (again, voice only).

I used to watch that show religiously...I had outgrown Sesame Street, and Electric Company was a little more "advanced" (and funnier). :smartass:

--J

240brickman said:
Texasgirl, I take it that you're a big fan of Morgan Freeman :clap:

I've never seen a movie (or anything else) in which he appeared that I didn't like. Right up to & including WoTW and Batman Begins this year.

Do you remember The Electric Company? It was a kid's educational show on PBS (it was on between Mr. Rogers and Sesame Street, back in the 70's). Ah I suppose you're too young to have seen it. EVERYBODY appeared on the show, at one time or another. Morgan Freeman had a recurring role, but other "regulars" included Rita Moreno, Mel Brooks, Gene Wilder (voice only...the voice of Letter Man), Bill Cosby, and Joan Rivers (again, voice only).

I used to watch that show religiously...I had outgrown Sesame Street, and Electric Company was a little more "advanced" (and funnier). :smartass:

--J

Yep, Morgan Freeman is my all time favorite actor!!
I'm 37, yes I remember The Electric Company.:LOL: Don't tell anyone else that though:mrgreen:

one Film? No way... there are too many.... ;o))

Lord of the Rings
Dances with wolves
Forrest Gump
A fish called Wanda
The Bridges of Madison County
Out of Africa
Groundhog Day
Finding Nemo
Matrix
the jungle book
The Fox and the Hound
Seven Years in Tibet
Top Gun

and all the others I forgot ;o))

Last edited:
ooh, i forgot "forrest gump", and "groundhog day". thanks cara.

ya know, "groundhog day" has philosophical spiritual leanings.

I also liked The Green Mile and The Longest Yard, just watched that one last night{ new version} Not very many movies that I have laughed all the way through.

you laughed thru the green mile tg??? i was all choked up and teary.
i know women are tough, but man they can be cruel.

buckytom said:
ooh, i forgot "forrest gump", and "groundhog day". thanks cara.

ya know, "groundhog day" has philosophical spiritual leanings.

Groundhog Day is just on TV now and I love it ;o))

And I will add Green mile to my list, I simply forgot

Gosh, do I just have to pick one? Ok, if I could only pick one it would be. Yours, Mine, and Ours with Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda. I have it both on DVD and VHS. I like it sense of familyness and movie that is funny without any bad jokes or foul language.

Some others I like:

Pretty Woman
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
Top Gun
Dances with Wolves
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Indiana Jones Trilogy
Open Range
Finding Nemo
Hidalgo
Smokey and the Bandit (Jackie Gleason is hilarious in this movie)
Master and Commander
The King and I (Original version)
Beauty and the Beast
Lion King
A River Runs Through It

This one is difficult, as I can't narrow it down to just one, so I'll just list as many of my faves that come to me and why:

Closetland - Deeply disturbing to see Alan Rickman play such an evil interrogator and know that such a thing really happens on a daily basis in this world.
Apocalypse Now - The penultimate Vietnam movie, and a great tribute to Hearts of Darkness.
Full Metal Jacket - R. Lee Ermey (who also played a helicopter pilot in Apocalypse Now, as well as being a technical advisor) is amazing in this movie's first half.
Highlander - Classic movie, IMHO.
Braveheart - Beautiful love story.
Gone With The Wind - Incredible for its time, and timeless to this day.
Last of the Mohicans - The cinematography in this movie blows me away. I can watch it every time it comes on, and oftentimes do.
The Breakfast Club - A coming of age movie for me.
The Decline of Western Civilization - A raw documentary of the punk movement with some of the greatest rare footage of punk music of that era. Penelope Spheeris' big start and still one of her best.
Suburbia - Another Penelope Spheeris flick, with a young Flea playing Razzle. Bad acting and fun movie.
All the Lord of the Rings flicks - Peter Jackson realized the vision of J.R.R. Tolkien beautifully.
Walk The Line - Complete suspension of disbelief. Joaquin Phoenix *is* Johnny Cash. If you haven't seen it yet you're really missing out.
Wizards - Ralph Bakshi's greatest animated classic.
The Wizard of Oz - 'Nuff said.
Repo Man - Bad movies at their finest
Near Dark - Redneck vampires! Lance Henriksen! What could be better?
Dances with Wolves - Epic film that I can't get enough. Makes me want to learn the Lakota language.
Toy Story - Classic Pixar
Steel Magnolias - Yeah, I know. This isn't a "guy" movie, but I really love Dolly Parton and Shirley Maclaine.
The Fisher King - Heartwrenching.
Office Space - The truth can be painfully funny.
Tron - My first introduction to the world of computers.
Star Wars. Any of them. - Probably the singlemost influential series of movies on my life. I'm a complete SW geek.

There are others I know I'm leaving out. I'll add more as I think of them.

OK, I don't have a single favorite, but, i'm going to have a faily short list.
Here Goes:

The Hunt for Red October,
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea,
The Incredibles,
Monster's Inc.,
Finding Nemo,
Shrek/2,
and Star Wars.

I've watched these so many times i can produce quotes from tham on demand.:cool:

a few more: to kill a mockingbird, one flew over the cuckoo's nest, easy rider, the song remains the same, the wall, bat 21, tora tora tora, the pianist, the freshman, ferris beuller's day off, the history of the world pt.2, young frankenstein,spaceballs...

more to come.

i can't believe i forgot clint eastwod movies, like "the outlaw josey wales", "pale rider", and "dirty harry".

Hard Rain, Old Yeller, Tom Sawyer, Huck Fin, You've got mail, Milk Money, Tears in the Sun, Brian's Song, Armagedon, No time for Sargents, Tammy,The Invisible Boy, DUEL, White Line Fever,KILLDOZER. Just off the top of me head !

The King and I. All of them (there are three versions). I just love the concept of a woman going out in the world by herself, intelligent and broke, and taking care of herself and her children. And yes, I've read her memoirs, and her son's, so know the true story in addition to the fantisized versions. And some of my favorite moments in life are times we've grabbed each other and danced to "Shall We Dance" -- some times with my sisters, once with a couple of boys I was baby-sitting. And I actually saw Yul on stage. I love all versions of this story, and all three versions, and the memoirs. I like that it is real, and something I might think of doing.

Back
Top Bottom