Almost half of the world actually prefers instant coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We keep Starbuck Via instant coffee packs in our zombie apocalypse kit. It's pretty good. It's also used for the occasional coffee cake that I like to make with instant coffee.

For daily use we just got a k-cup coffee maker. Love that thing.

A cup of instant coffee can taste pretty good if the water is heated to just under boiling. If it is boiled, then the coffee can become bitter (info from a coffee expert on the radio). I have found this to be accurate. ;)
A friend, who prefers her instant coffee white, dissolves the coffee in the milk and then pours on the hot water. She says it tastes better than milk poured in after the water. I'm not sure whether this is because water is cooled by the milk or whether it comes down to the milk first or second issue as in tea. (I prefer the tea in the cup first and then the milk added after. Others prefer milk in first and hot tea after.)

Also, as previously mentioned, what people buy can be a question of what they can AFFORD to buy, i.e. not reflect what they would drink given the choice (with money being no drawback).

Another coffee story. I lived in Anchorage Alaska back in 1969 with 3 Army motor mechanics. We were so poor that for awhile we threw coffee grounds into a sauce pan full of water, boiled it, then strained it through a clean hankie stretched across the top of a mug. NASTY stuff but it got caffeine into our tired bodies! (we did finally manage to buy a percolator) Instant coffee back then and up there? Nope.

Also not all instant is created equal. I've found that the nescafe that is marketed to mexico, central and south america is better than Folger's our store brands. I think that it's a bigger market for them.

Sent from my XT1080 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Of course, it's a question of interpretation - The results also mean that less than half of the world prefers instant coffee.

See, This shows that perception is everything. :rolleyes:

Instant coffee has it's place in the world. And I can even see where many would like it over other methods of preparation.

Steve likes his Espresso.
And he's correct. I myself wouldn't want that for my wakeup beverage. Especially with the milk/cream. I'm a Black coffee man don't add anything to it at all.

Instant, Drip, Perked, Steamed, Pressed, Cold brewed, or However you prepare it. Java is a beverage that many folks like and it's a simple bean that's made the world a bit of a smaller sphere.

To me that's a good thing. :)

Well except for this of course. ;)

Kopi Luwak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's only in the last few years that I realised that many Americans drink tea. I thought it was only us and the (British) Commonwealth (and the Chinese and Japanese).

I'd definitely say that it isn't as big a part of our culture as it is yours or Asia's, unless you consider sweet tea (sweet iced tea), that's very popular in the American South, many get passionate about it.

Tea is getting more trendy with tea shops popping up selling many many varieties of loose teas, "gourmet" even.

It's only in the last few years that I realised that many Americans drink tea. I thought it was only us and the (British) Commonwealth (and the Chinese and Japanese).

I couldn't live without my Earl Grey, English and Irish Breakfast Teas. Then there are my Oolong, Genmaicha, etc. I have to brew tea, I have enough teapots to start my own shop.:LOL:

I couldn't live without my Earl Grey, English and Irish Breakfast Teas. Then there are my Oolong, Genmaicha, etc. I have to brew tea, I have enough teapots to start my own shop.:LOL:

I keep a couple of English Tea bags in my Emergency Room bag. They go with me for every trip to the ER. Along with a couple of packets of sugar. I like my tea black with a bit of sugar.

Instant coffee? No thanks. I don't even keep it on hand. If I am in someone's home and they offer me a drink, unless I see a coffee pot of some kind, I will ask for tea. No coffee pot in sight tells me they most likely drink instant. I will pass thank you. :angel:

It's only in the last few years that I realised that many Americans drink tea.
My wife's favorite is Yorkshire Tea (the one with the red label, not the gold), and she will often have a cup in the afternoon. She claims it's one of the few caffeinated beverages she can drink in the middle of the day that won't affect her sleep.

My wife's favorite is Yorkshire Tea (the one with the red label, not the gold), and she will often have a cup in the afternoon. She claims it's one of the few caffeinated beverages she can drink in the middle of the day that won't affect her sleep.
Red label Yorkshire tea is good stuff - "builders' tea"! They sell gold label here too but in this area our water is very soft and the gold label its blended for hard water areas. An old friend of my mother's worked for a major tea blending company. She said that, even within one brand of tea, it was blended according to the water quality of the area it was to be sold in. Which explains why, when I went away to college, I quickly learned to buy my tea when I got there and not take it from home!

I do have tea bags because they are convenient but I also buy Drury English Breakfast loose tea for making one cup with my mini tea maker or by the teapot-full.

Cindy and I have our little black iron teapot and we brew tea from time to time. I like my tea with just a little honey but my favorite is sweet tea brewed with Luzianne brand tea.

Red label Yorkshire tea is good stuff - "builders' tea"! They sell gold label here too but in this area our water is very soft and the gold label its blended for hard water areas.
Ah ha... thank you for the clarification. I just assumed gold was a premium blend, but it seems thinner bodied than the original, which, in my opinion, produces a good stiff cup of tea.

By the way, I realize you are probably not an iced tea drinker, but we've made sun tea with YT, and it works darned good for that beverage, too.

Last edited:
I like instant, but maybe I'm weird. The local instant store brand is far better than the overpriced coffee served at Barnes & Noble, at least.

Back
Top Bottom