"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #31
Master Chef

Oh, one more aside, Thank Heaven for plastic lenses. When I started wearing glasses (that would be around 1960) mine were so thick and heavy I had a hard time keeping them on my face. I had the art of wriggling my nose in such a way that I could get them back where they belonged when they fell down. Then, sometime around 1970, give or take, my Rx became available in plastic. As each improvement in weight came along, my optometrists wrote it right in on my prescription. Now I pay extra for ultra-lights. Worth every dime.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #32
Executive Chef

I started with glass, switched to plastic lenses for 40 years, and then back to glass a little over 10 years ago. It took about 3 years to become reaccustomed to the weight of glass but I'm glad I did. I'd rather have smaller lenses in glass than larger ones in non glass. Non glass scratches too easily.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM   #33
Master Chef

I'm used to my glasses being heavy but I do have a permanent red line across my nose lol!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

In Massachusetts, the law requires plastic lenses unless stated otherwise by your optometrist.

I no longer see an optometrist. Only an opthamologist. Have been for years. I freak out just to go for an eye exam. When they start to bring the eye exam machine close to my face and eyes, I start to slide down the chair to get away from it. It was last March that it was decided that it was time to have the cataracts removed. The emotional problems regarding treating my eyes without anesthesia created a host of problems that ended up involving five doctors having conference calls galore before a final decision was reached that would calm me down and agree to the surgery. What should and could have been done within a thirty day time, took ten months to solve my emotional eye problems. Contacts will never go into my eyes.

When the day came for me to need bifocals, I ended up falling down a whole flight of stairs the first day I wore them. So back to the doctor to get two new pairs. When I was getting into the car to go to his office, I missed the curb and fell into the street. I have had two pairs ever since. I only use the reading ones for the computer and sewing. When I first talked to my eye surgeon, she asked me did I want perfect vision. I gave it some thought. I decided I wanted to continue to wear glasses, but wanted much thinner lens than I had. I swear I could have cashed in my lens and got back the nickel deposit. Does Coke bottles bottoms come to mind? I have been wearing glasses since I was five y.o. I have been having a devil of a time trying to get used to not having glasses to wear. My surgeon listened to me. I will be picking up my two new pairs next Wednesday. My infinity lens will be a lot, a heck of a lot thinner than what I had been wearing last December. I did have to pay for the infinity lens to be Transitional lens. I can't imagine not having that little extra in the summer or on sunny days. This surgery thing has been quite an advantage.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:20 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

I have recently bought some prescription frames and lenses for reading and doing cross stitch, close up stuff

I went to Specsavers and as we have health insurance, for 2 pairs it only cost $35.00

I have one with black frames and one with purple
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

With insurance AND an AARP discount, my glasses still cost over $400 a pair, that's for the lenses...the frames are usually cheap. My insurance pays for the frames, but if I plan on being able to see, I have to shell out for the lenses.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
With insurance AND an AARP discount, my glasses still cost over $400 a pair, that's for the lenses...the frames are usually cheap. My insurance pays for the frames, but if I plan on being able to see, I have to shell out for the lenses.
That seems a bit backwards...you'd think that there would be a limit re: cost per pair, regardless of the frame cost.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
That seems a bit backwards...you'd think that there would be a limit re: cost per pair, regardless of the frame cost.
If I didn't have the insurance my glasses would cost close to $800 pair. The things I need to be able to see are costly add ins. And the insurance only pays for one set of lenses a year.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

FYI, you can buy glasses online for like $30: Save Bundles of Cash by Buying Eyeglasses Online
Old 02-02-2013, 09:09 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
The more horror stories I hear about other elderly folks and their medical costs, the more grateful I am for ESP. They have a great knack for driving me crazy with their over smothering care, but it is better than paying for it myself. I just had to pay $60 for the Transitional Lens. If I had asked my eye surgeon to recommend them, I could have gotten them free. No thanks, I will take what I have with a big helping of gratitude.