Alton Brown: Return of Good Eats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I enjoy Alton Brown. In the 90s I had several dozen Good Eats episodes on VCR tape. Learned something from nearly every episode. Never tried to follow one his recipes though.

The gist was often; instead of making this thing in a couple hours, here's how to turn it into a two-day procedure. Or sometimes; I hate unitaskers, single-purpose kitchen appliances, so here's how to do the same thing with a heating pad and a cardboard box. :LOL:

I'd happily watch new episodes of Good Eats. Wouldn't be the show I'd recommend to someone wanting to learn how to cook though.

Last edited:
I enjoy Alton Brown. In the 90s I had several dozen Good Eats episodes on VCR tape. Learned something from nearly every episode. Never tried to follow one his recipes though.

The gist was often; instead of making this thing in a couple hours, here's how to turn it into a two-day procedure. Or sometimes; I hate unitaskers, single-purpose kitchen appliances, so here's how to do the same thing with a heating pad and a cardboard box. :LOL:

I'd happily watch new episodes of Good Eats. Wouldn't be the show I'd recommend to someone wanting to learn how to cook though.

I respect your preference of not wanting to turn anything into a two day or multi appliance solution.

I'm right at the other end of the spectrum, and I think of my kitchen as an organic chemistry lab.:LOL::LOL: So I've made soap for 15+ years, and now cheese this past year, and fermenting things like tomatoes and cabbage, and making our own yogurt or kefir, for years, and canning, and dehydrating, and blanching and freezing. Often I need to understand why I need to do the directions in the directions. I think it is just how I am and I'm happy with that. I like knowing the science or different ways to make things work. It's a lifetime of enjoying learning.

Surely my approach or the alton brown approach is not for everyone. Enjoy the diversity.

I respect your preference of not wanting to turn anything into a two day or multi appliance solution.

I'm right at the other end of the spectrum, and I think of my kitchen as an organic chemistry lab.:LOL::LOL: So I've made soap for 15+ years, and now cheese this past year, and fermenting things like tomatoes and cabbage, and making our own yogurt or kefir, for years, and canning, and dehydrating, and blanching and freezing. Often I need to understand why I need to do the directions in the directions. I think it is just how I am and I'm happy with that. I like knowing the science or different ways to make things work. It's a lifetime of enjoying learning.

Surely my approach or the alton brown approach is not for everyone. Enjoy the diversity.
We're not on opposite ends. My favorite parts were the segments with Shirley Corriher. Her Bookwise and Harold McGee's On Food and Cooking are among my favorite cooking books. I enjoyed the science and the humor of Good Eats. I suspect AB's tongue was firmly in his cheek during every aspect of the show. Especially the parts I poked a little fun at in the post above.

By the way, I subscribed to Gavin Webber's YouTube channel when you mentioned it some months ago. Have several irons in the fire presently but don't be too surprised if I start hitting you up for cheesy advice sometime soon.

Last edited:
By the way, I subscribed to Gavin Webber's YouTube channel when you mentioned it some months ago. Have several irons in the fire presently but don't be too surprised if I start hitting you up for cheesy advice sometime soon.

Ha ha, so that's the whey it's going to be? :)

I've never really thought of Good Eats as a learn to cook type of show, but more of a how and why type of show that is food centric. Perhaps more geared towards those that already kind of know how to cook, and just want to understand why we do things the way we do. I love his in depth scientific episodes and when he delves into the history of foods.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom