"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2005, 01:55 PM   #11
Master Chef

my Parents didn't use a cell phone to call me when i was a kid. they called us kids by going out onto the porch and shouting our names.
otherwise they called my friends' Parents up on the plain 'ol AT&T wall phone and said one of them was on thier way to get me.
and i'm only 24! i don't know just what's happened since i was a kid in the 1980's, but it's just not the same.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #12
Head Chef

Well, I admit to being one of those parents who gave their child a cell phone early (he was in 6th grade). But there were tons of reasons for doing so, the main one being that I transported him back and forth to school and if he were going to be late because of practice or whatnot or if I were going to be late because I was stuck at work or in traffic, we could communicate. Being a single parent there was no one else to rely on. =) So we winged it! It wasn't about being a status symbol or being just another rich spoiled kid in the suburbs.

And pds, I hear you about what the parking lots of the local high schools there look like. It's a shame. =P They drove newer cars than I did! haha And my house was forever full of kids who parents couldn't have seemed to have cared less about where their kids were. They'd hand them a fistfull of money and send them on their way.

My son bought his own car and paid for his own insurance; and he had to wait until he was nearly 17 before he could afford to do that. But I think the wait did him good because he seemed to do a lot of growing up in that year.

The cell phone was always his out of a bad situation too. Not that he ever needed it, but you can't imagine what a relief that is as he would head out the door into that great big world. =P It was an easy way to be protective without being smothering. hehe

Z

Old 09-07-2005, 04:07 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
I am with you htc! I do not think an 8 year old needs a phone. This is just one more ploy by marketing companies to try to sell their products
Agree GB.

I don't own or want a cell phone. (Who needs my purse ringing ). I do feel it has it's advantages - if you're stuck somewhere with no access to a phone or in a dangerous or life-threatening situation. Since it's a high-tech computer world, think kids want to keep in step with their friends & echo what their parents do/have. Think a beeper/pager would be great for kids...they can check in with parents. All the amber alerts & missing children, are very scary.

Guess I'm old-fashioned, in thinking adults should check-in with their kids & vice-versa. Cell phones, in my opinion, are disruptive & cause accidents, i.e. everyone yacking on the phone behind the wheel, in meetings, restaurants, etc., etc.

Then again, if ET had a cell, he might have been home by now.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:08 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mish

Then again, if ET had a cell, he might have been home by now.
LOL
Old 09-07-2005, 04:33 PM   #15
Executive Chef

And what about Superman? If he had a cell, where would he go to change?
Old 09-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #16
Contest Winner

Wink

I hate it when your watching a movie or on a camping trip and a cell phone goes off ! Ok now we know where Maidrite Stands ! In Pageland SC!
Old 09-07-2005, 04:42 PM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to tancowgirl2000
I have to agree with all of this....ok some of it? I would NEVER let my child have a cell...for what purpose really? They will know where their friends live, they know where mom (will) and dad work there are such things as pay phones and calling collect! Cell phone tie you into everything and dont leave you with a moment of relaxation....why would you want to be able to get a hold of every minute of your life? I can understand for work ect, but come on...children don't need these things!!

In my email today I got this, and had to share for it seems it fits.....I giggled at how true it all is...

YOU KNOW YOU ARE LIVING IN 2005 when...

1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.

2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.

3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.

4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.

5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.

6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.

7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the
bottom of the screen.

8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.

10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.

11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )

12. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.

13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.

14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.

15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't! a #9 on this list.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 PM   #18
Head Chef

That sure sounds true! And yes, I did look for #9...and NO...kids don't need cell phones! I have a little trouble with pagers too...but our Grandson had one....and it came in handy when he had a bad bike accident and was able to page home.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:35 PM   #19
Head Chef

There are way too many toys on the market today. So many that kids can't seem to think for themselves for home-made intertainment/

When I was a kid I recall making all the clothes for my barbie dolls, even if they were made out of a slim little kleenex. I had a lot of immagination.

I remember going to grandma and grandpa's for the summer and grandma had saved her sears catalogs for me. I could sit for hours and cut the people and clothes out of the catalog making my own paper dolls.

There were the home-made stilts and the home-made kites. Ahhh! kick the can in the middle of the street late at night. What intertainment.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with most of this, I myself do NOT have a cell, and I do get snickered at for it..But at times I think a child might need to use a cell, so, I would not just hand one over, but, would have a family one to be used in certain situations only...We love our kids and grandkids and tend to give them way to much..I watched as my grandkids opened birthday and christmas gifts, the little ones will toss that expensive gift aside and crawl into the big box it came in!!! We might be wise to take our cue from them...When they become teens and have to have that black lipstick cuz all the kids do, we then say a firm NO, stick to it, and watch them like hawks! I think most children, whine as they do, are glad we have rules for them, they might never admit it, but, they do...I learned that from you youngest...She now is one of the easiest people in the world to talk to, as a teen, she is the reason for all these "blond" streaks in my hair... Love em, set rules, and love em some more...They are our greatest treasure...Be old fashioned!!! Be a parent...
kadesma