"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-07-2005, 10:29 AM   #1
Head Chef

Am I just old fashioned?

I just read an article on usatoday http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...l-phones_x.htm that says that they are now making and marketing cell phones to children as young as 8.

I have an 8 year old at home and can't even IMAGINE him having a cell phone. I'm I in the minority here?? I know some will use the whole safety issue, but if it's a real emergency, isn't 911 free?

Old 09-07-2005, 10:32 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

I myself don't have a cellphone, so if I had kids I doubt they would get a cellphone until they were atleast 16.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I am with you htc! I do not think an 8 year old needs a phone. They should never be far enough away from an adult that they could not get help.

This is just one more ploy by marketing companies to try to sell their products
Old 09-07-2005, 10:33 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
okay i think kids are entirely way to spoiled these days.

might i add that i do have an 8 year old and there's no way,
no how he's getting his own cell phone !!!
Old 09-07-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Head Chef

I'm glad that I am not crazy then. I was disgusted when I read the article. It said that the marketers are hoping for lifetime loyal future customers. If the watch groups want to curb food manufacturers from pushing junk food on kids, (and cigarettes and alcohol) I wonder why there is no sort of watch group for this kind of stuff.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This is how my ex babysits his kids - he lets them out in the neighborhood expecting them to actually not lose the cell phone - the funny thing is he won't let them put their mother's number in where the mother's number goes - he said they can put a babysitter or something in. Even neighbor's have complained - thank goodness mine is old enough and off at school now and doesn't have to put up with him anymore. This is the way he gets them to WANT to be at his house - toys!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #7
Head Chef

Elf, the having 2 households is always so complicated.

My 8 year old is my stepson. DH & I are not the spoil w/ toys type, but DH's ex is. It could be because she's not the primary care giver currently. At age 11 my stepson will go live w/ his Mom full time and come visit us on weekends. It's really too bad. Both households are EXTREMELY different in values and what we are comfortable exposing our children to. At our house, he's required to help do chores, keep his own room clean, do HOMEWORK, not play Rated T or M video games and is only allowed to watch PG or rated G movies. At Mom's house, she feels he's already like a teenager, so all that is fair game. Though honestly, I think stepson would much prefer Mom's house. I probably would have too at that age...
Old 09-07-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
htc marks my owrds... he'll be thanking you for it later in life
Old 09-07-2005, 12:02 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
We live in a pretty "rich" part of the state.... it just sickens me to see how spoiled the kids are here. Drive through the highschool parking lot and you'll see a few junker cars but 99% are 2005's and very expensive kinds. All the kids have pagers and cell phones. Some of them work but, not most of them. If they do get a job it lasts for a week or so then they quit. They have no idea how to work. Why should they? The parents hand them everything they want. I had to feel sorry for my son sometimes. We didn't spoil him in that way. Yes, he had a few trips to Europe and other nice places and yes he lived in a nice home but.. on his 16th birthday we bought him a very used car and marched him out the door to get his first job. We made him pay for 1/2 of his car insurance the first year and all of it after that. We did give him 10 dollars a week for lunch money at school but, if he wanted to spend more than that he was on his own. Grandma got him a cell phone for his 17th birthday and said she'd pay a certain amount every month but, he was to pay the rest. He only missed one payment and that was prearranged. David is not perfect. But, he's a good kid. He hated school from day one and we knew college was not in his future. He's still at Safeway and working his way up the ladder. He was just given another promotion and is now a PIC !!! (Person in charge) he takes over when the managers are in meetings or out to lunch. He's had his own apartment for about three years now, buys and sells on Ebay and also has made a bunch of money buying and re-selling cars. I don't think for a minute that he'd be doing so well if he was handed a cell phone (and everything else he wanted) when he was a child. I think spoiling kids just hurts them in the long run.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:20 PM   #10
Everymom

Good for you pdswife! Sounds like you raised a good kid. My 9 year old asked me for a cell phone just the other day and I laughed at her. Poor kid, what a mean mom. I told her when she is old enough to get a job and pay for the stupid thing herself she can get a cell phone but otherwise forget it!

kitchenelf, at my work I have seen that "style" of parenting (or lack thereof) frequently. There is no substitute for hands on parenting and a cell phone is not an adequate monitor. Until the kids are in the situation where they may need the cell phone (i.e. have to drive places and the car might die) then no way.

What a stupid thing to do. Some folks will buy anything.