"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-22-2006, 07:56 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Thank you all for your kind words and support.I just looked over the guest list and realized the 30 people who are coming- the first to respond are the same people who are always there for us- who love my kids and are always there to celebrate with us. How lucky are we? There is probably no truer saying than you can pick your friends but, not your relatives.I realize that no matter how much I want my siblings to be apart of my kids milestones and celebrations,I can not make them want to.After awhile of banging your head against a wall you eventually say ouch and stop.Next time one of my kids have something to celebrate I'll invite all of you instead of my siblings!!!!!:)

Old 05-22-2006, 08:05 PM   #12
Master Chef

I'm coming, I love NY and use every exuse to get there.

Okay, we need a wink here, moderatos/administrators we need a wink.

Old 05-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiQ
Thank you all for your kind words and support.I just looked over the guest list and realized the 30 people who are coming- the first to respond are the same people who are always there for us- who love my kids and are always there to celebrate with us. How lucky are we? There is probably no truer saying than you can pick your friends but, not your relatives.I realize that no matter how much I want my siblings to be apart of my kids milestones and celebrations,I can not make them want to.After awhile of banging your head against a wall you eventually say ouch and stop.Next time one of my kids have something to celebrate I'll invite all of you instead of my siblings!!!!!:)
This native New Yawka will come, Vicki... and I'll even bring cake!
Old 05-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I would be also, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Usually I don't invite anyone except those I'm very sure will come. I don't invite kids unless it is family only or the party is outside. Some people don't seem to realize the names on the envelope are the ONLY ones invited.
Old 05-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Hi Vicki,
I know just how you feel, my sis was notorious for never letting us know if she and her crew are coming or not. Plus she is always late, she made me late for my son's gradutation!!! After a few years of it and getting so angry I'd snap everyones head off, I just made up my mind to take matters into my own hands. Then next party, I sent the invitation, regrets only, then on the last day of the time to call, I called her!!! Told her say yes or no and how many now, I'm going to do the shopping, If you don't know you don't eat!!! I know I was rude, but I got results. With others I do give them a call a few days ahead, asking if they would be able to make it. If people say no and then show and if it's a sit down, they are handed a plate of appys as the others eat the prepared meal..Sorry, I know I'm not being to kind, but with people who are family and habitually out of step I draw the line, I'd rather hurt them than my child being hurt. You have to just let them be themselves as much as it stings.. Next time don't invite, just send one of those so and so gradutated last week just wanted to let you know notes Hold those who are always there dear, they are gifts to be treasured and loved.

kadesma
Old 05-23-2006, 05:16 AM   #16
Master Chef

in some areas in Germany it is common just to call if you can't come.. I would get mad with that, but Frank is used to that..

just imagine you organize a big party and almost no-one comes, but they forgot to call.. *horror*

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote