Am I right to be a little steamed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VickiQ

Sous Chef
:mad: OK- I'm downright MAD!!!!I sent out 24 invitations for Dennis' June 3 graduation party with the RSVP date being last Friday- I have recieved 10 replies.72 people were invited- I have 30 confirmed and the worst part is in the 42 that have not responded includes my only siblings and their families- even my father didn't RSVP- granted we're not close but, come on.Sorry to rant but, my feelings are hurt here.Thanks for listening.:(

I am sorry, you have every reason to be mad....
at the very least they should have called to Congratulate his sucess.
GRADUATING IS A WONDERFUL TIME IN A YOUNG PERSON'S LIFE,ITS A ROAD TO A NEW BEGINNING...

Vicki I'd be mad too. How hard is it to pick up a phone and say yes, no, or we're not sure yet ? I won't be able to make it but I congratulate him on his success. Graduation is no easy feat these days.

Ooh, I hate that. Have to deal with that every time there is a party. It is as if the people never heard of RSVP thing. Makes me soooo mad. Every time we send out invitation, might as well start calling other wise people will simply start showing up. For my wife’s 40's birthday we had nice party in the fancy restaurant catered, very special event. Even calling people didn't help. Some did not know, some weren't sure some (my uncle) got mad that he did not receive personal invitation (phone call), some said they were not coming and then showed up in the middle of the party. What is it with people, oh darn I am mad with you, grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

You totally have a right to be angry but the best advice it to forgive and forget. I bet the only person your anger is effecting is you and you don't want to be made especially over a happy event like a graduation party.

Darn right, you should be upset. It's rude not to respond to an invitation! In many cases, it's a catered affair and you are paying good money per head for this special day. In my case, for my Dad's 70th BP, we invited the couple and they did rsvp, but brought all their kids and the daughter's boyfriend.::mad: We had to scramble to set up an extra table, not to mention paying the extra $28 a head more for the uninvited "guest".:mad: This couple WILL NOT be invited to any more of our parties.

mudbug said:
I cannot believe how incredibly rude some people can be these days. When did common courtesy go down the toilet?

When someone left the seat up. Ba-dum-bump.

Yes, I'd be annoyed as well. You'll probably get more rsvps this week. Geesh.

I say move the party and don't tell them -- disinherit them. Just kidding. Know it's frustrating.

Last edited:
katluvscake said:
You totally have a right to be angry but the best advice it to forgive and forget. I bet the only person your anger is effecting is you and you don't want to be made especially over a happy event like a graduation party.
You are absolutely right and I usually live by that wonderful advice except I forget when it comes to my siblings- I have to add- forget to INVITE them!They are more annoyed by the invitation than they are happy to celebrate with us.

Thank you all for your kind words and support.I just looked over the guest list and realized the 30 people who are coming- the first to respond are the same people who are always there for us- who love my kids and are always there to celebrate with us. How lucky are we? There is probably no truer saying than you can pick your friends but, not your relatives.I realize that no matter how much I want my siblings to be apart of my kids milestones and celebrations,I can not make them want to.After awhile of banging your head against a wall you eventually say ouch and stop.Next time one of my kids have something to celebrate I'll invite all of you instead of my siblings!!!!!:)

I'm coming, I love NY and use every exuse to get there.

Okay, we need a wink here, moderatos/administrators we need a wink.

VickiQ said:
Thank you all for your kind words and support.I just looked over the guest list and realized the 30 people who are coming- the first to respond are the same people who are always there for us- who love my kids and are always there to celebrate with us. How lucky are we? There is probably no truer saying than you can pick your friends but, not your relatives.I realize that no matter how much I want my siblings to be apart of my kids milestones and celebrations,I can not make them want to.After awhile of banging your head against a wall you eventually say ouch and stop.Next time one of my kids have something to celebrate I'll invite all of you instead of my siblings!!!!!:)

This native New Yawka will come, Vicki... and I'll even bring cake!:)

I would be also, but I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Usually I don't invite anyone except those I'm very sure will come. I don't invite kids unless it is family only or the party is outside. Some people don't seem to realize the names on the envelope are the ONLY ones invited.

Hi Vicki,
I know just how you feel, my sis was notorious for never letting us know if she and her crew are coming or not. Plus she is always late, she made me late for my son's gradutation!!! After a few years of it and getting so angry I'd snap everyones head off, I just made up my mind to take matters into my own hands. Then next party, I sent the invitation, regrets only, then on the last day of the time to call, I called her!!! Told her say yes or no and how many now, I'm going to do the shopping, If you don't know you don't eat!!! I know I was rude, but I got results. With others I do give them a call a few days ahead, asking if they would be able to make it. If people say no and then show and if it's a sit down, they are handed a plate of appys as the others eat the prepared meal..Sorry, I know I'm not being to kind, but with people who are family and habitually out of step I draw the line, I'd rather hurt them than my child being hurt. You have to just let them be themselves as much as it stings.. Next time don't invite, just send one of those so and so gradutated last week just wanted to let you know notes :LOL: Hold those who are always there dear, they are gifts to be treasured and loved.

kadesma:)

in some areas in Germany it is common just to call if you can't come.. I would get mad with that, but Frank is used to that..

just imagine you organize a big party and almost no-one comes, but they forgot to call.. *horror*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom