"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by amber View Post
Uncle Bob, all I can say is YUCK , cept for the cornbread part. What the heck is hog jowl and ham hocks? I'm guessing those are the jaw and feet of the pig? Enjoy! Not sure what I'll be making for dinner new years eve.

Hog jowl is indeed the cheek of the hog. It is cut into chunks, cured and smoked, and sometimes sliced. It can look like small slices of bacon. Ham hocks come from the small end of the ham. Some whole bone-in or shank portion hams can have most of or some of the hock intact. Most of the time they are trimmed off of the ham and sold as cured and smoked, other times sold as "fresh" Both are used primarily as "seasoning" meats for beans, peas, greens, etc, much like ham and bacon are used. Since the jowl and the hock are not very "meaty" they are an inexpensive products.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #12
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I couldn't imagine doing any beans(or greens) with out the smoky, yummy, goodness of the jowl! I am getting hungry thinking about it!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:04 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I wish I was with ya, UBob. With a nice jigger of Bourbon too.

have a great New Years!

I am not too sure what we will be eating on, but it should be good.
Come on Down!! I'm happy to know I am not the only "cultured" person here who will have Good Luck in the New Year!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune
My peas are soaking as we speak, Uncle Bob.... My friend Renee is making the collards, and her daughter will be bringing the cornbread. Too bad you're so far away! Shall we save you a piece of Sweet Potato Pie?
Please do!! I shall bring Coffee & Chicory!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:15 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

southern gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Am I the only one that will be eating black-eyed peas and hog jowl/ham hock/pork of some kind on New Years Day?????

I'll also have a pone of Cornbread that will make you wanna slap ya mammy!!

growing up in tenn. black eyed peas is a given.

i make a hoe cake with okra to go with em.

babe
Old 12-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I tried Hoppin' John one new year and didn't care for it. Sorry.
Andy Hoppin John can be good, or just so-so depending on how carried away the cook gets with the rice. Sometimes I've seen it with too much rice IMO.
Next time try just the peas, cooked with ham or......tasso...and maybe throw a link of andouille in at the very last. Serve a little rice on the side. Or serve the peas over the rice, a la Red beans & rice style.

Enjoy!

Old 12-30-2007, 10:41 PM   #16
Head Chef

Have never seen hog jowls, sounds great.

Black-eyed peas are not my favorate at all.

A mess of greens with ham hocks and cornbread though, well, that rings my bell. Afraid we have too much food around here from the holidays that we will be going through - urp.

God bless and Happy New Year y'all.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:27 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Black Eyed Peas are a New Years tradition in the south meaning if you eat them at that time it brings good luck for the following year the greens represent money to come as well ,the pork just gives a great a great flavor.I love Black Eyed peas or any other legume. Its mostly a southern tradition but if you put enough garlic and onions its really good.Only a spoonful is needed to guarantee good luck
Old 12-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #18
Head Chef

Uncle Bob I just moved from Colorado to Iowa.. If you ask for hog jowl in Colo. they looked at you like you had three heads.. Here in Ia they know what it is but no body
IE WalMart/ Hy Vee/Aldi stocks it and will not order it for you. The last time I had some good jowl was in Sikeston Missouri @ the home of the throwed roll;s. I keep looking
Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Andy Hoppin John can be good, or just so-so depending on how carried away the cook gets with the rice. Sometimes I've seen it with too much rice IMO.
Next time try just the peas, cooked with ham or......tasso...and maybe throw a link of andouille in at the very last. Serve a little rice on the side. Or serve the peas over the rice, a la Red beans & rice style.

Enjoy!

Bob, that sounds better than what I had. Maybe it's time to retry it.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:41 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:

Enjoy!
I`m not sure if this counts or even if it would meet anyones standards, but this was last nights dinner:

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote