"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-31-2007, 11:11 AM   #31
Senior Cook

I have a couple of bags of fresh black eyed peas to cook tomorrow. Of course ya gotta have corn bread with them.
You cook black eyed peas like any other dried beans. The fresh ones I will make a stock with either ham hocks or salt pork first to cook them in.

Old 12-31-2007, 11:12 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Cannot do New Year's Day due to geographic restraints (Lou heads back to Philly on Tuesday)...But we will be at Delta Grill on New Year's Eve coming as close as possible to New Year's Day with pretty much the same menu as you!

Happy New Year, Uncle Bob

Old 12-31-2007, 11:22 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
Cannot do New Year's Day due to geographic restraints (Lou heads back to Philly on Tuesday)...But we will be at Delta Grill on New Year's Eve coming as close as possible to New Year's Day with pretty much the same menu as you!

Happy New Year, Uncle Bob
I'll make sure there are no points taken off of your "luck" for the year, by eating them a little early!!

Happy New Year to you Miss Blue!

(I wonder what will be happening on Rue Bourbon tonight?)

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 12:03 PM   #34
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
Here in southern Il, the tradition is ham'n beans (using the last of the Christmas ham), corn bread and cabbage. If a hambone is not available, hog jowl or ham hocks are used.
We'll be cooking ours tonight, as our youngest grandson's 10th birthday is tomorrow, and he wants cheeseburgers for his birthday dinner.
heheheheheh who asked him? (just kidding, just kidding!)
Old 12-31-2007, 01:02 PM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I'll also have a pone of Cornbread that will make you wanna slap ya mammy!!
Ummm, I don't know how to respond to ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^that

and.............................................no , I won't be eating it cause the invite's not come yet
Old 12-31-2007, 01:25 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I'll make sure there are no points taken off of your "luck" for the year, by eating them a little early!!

Happy New Year to you Miss Blue!

(I wonder what will be happening on Rue Bourbon tonight?)
Lou and I were on Rue Bourbon two New Year's Eves ago...about 4 months after Katrina, actually. It was as hoppin' as could be expected. We didn't get to see the fireworks, which is what we really went down for... The fog was the thickest I'd ever seen in my life.

We're going back for the FQ jazzfest in April....Not doing Mardi Gras this year. What about you?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

I might check into the Jazz Fest....Mardi Gras is not on my calendar either.

Old 01-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #38
Master Chef

In spite of the JOB calling me several time yesterday, and an urgent request for some of "Dad's Chicken soup by an under-the-weather daughter, we managed to make everything on the list I posted. We had some new freinds over to the house along with the freinds we traditionally invite. The food was great and plentiful(you just have to try making pulled pork over a divided bed of charcoals, with chunks of hickory placed on top of the charcoal), with the freinds being even greater. We laughed as we recounted some of the stories from our youth (one of our new guests, the husband, had nearly as many stories as I have, and he helped me embellish my famous "Niagra River Incedent" tall tale by inserting the perfect questions or comments at just the right time. We laughed 'till our bellies hurt.

Recipe for a perfect New Year's Eve, by G.W.:

Warm freinds, as many as your home will comfortably handle, in a relaxed atmosphere

Good food and drink (all of us were non-alcoholic drinkers except the new couple's husband, and he reports that though there was no alcohol, he had one of the best times ever)

Be who you are, warts, moles, and all. (of course you know that I get better looking every day and so I don't have to worry about any of that)

Be a genuine freind to all at your party/celebration.

Keep it small so that the freindships deepen and no-one feels left out.

When the hour hits, give your spouse, or that person who is special to you, a heartfelt kiss. Clink glasses with your freinds, and toast in the New Year.

After another 15 minutes or so, kick everybody out of the house and go to bed with your spouse, you know, to bring in the New Year properly.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh, that pulled pork, well it just makes an outstanding breakfast on some toasted whole wheat bread, with a perfectly poached egg on top.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

It's New Years Day!!!

Of coarse I will have blackeyed peas! It's tradition!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:04 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherjelliott View Post
Of coarse I will have blackeyed peas! It's tradition!

Miss Heather...What part of the South are you from?