"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-30-2007, 07:56 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Am I The Only One?

Am I the only one that will be eating black-eyed peas and hog jowl/ham hock/pork of some kind on New Years Day?????

I'll also have a pone of Cornbread that will make you wanna slap ya mammy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I'm in for the cornbread but I hate black-eyed peas!

Old 12-30-2007, 08:02 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I understand the concept, Uncle Bob, but never got into the "tradition" at New Years. I like (and eat) all components, but don't include them in my holiday festivities.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 PM   #4
Master Chef

Normally we do the same, black eyed peas with hamhocks, cornbread and greens, but, DH can't eat it again this year, so, we won't be eating them. Not sure what we'll eat.

Never mind, DH said yes he is going to eat it, even if I have to put them in the processor
Old 12-30-2007, 09:02 PM   #5
Master Chef

So just what is a "pone" anyways. I'm a born and bred Northerner, and so am unfamiliar with some of the Southern delicacies. I know what cornbread is, both sweet and savory, and usually make it in a cast iron pan, in bacon grease (yum0. And I'm familiar with and enjoy ham hocks, usually in with some kind of beans, and love black eyed peas. None of those are traditional fare up here. But then again, I'm not a very traditional guy.

Here's what we'll be having with freinds:
1. Pulled pork made from a 19 lb pork butt, semi-boneless, cooked low and slow over natural charcoal with apple and maple wood for smoke.

2. My world famous chicken spring rolls with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.

3. Panko-breaded scallops, deep fried of course.

4. Indian Pastries, a wonderful Middle Eastern delight made by one of our guests every year.

4. Shrimp Scampi where I peel and devein shrimp and saute' in butter and garlic.

5. Salad shrimp with cocktail sauce.

6. Beef kabobs with bell pepers, onions, and mushrooms, all coated with EVOO, salt 'n pepper.

7. Various deli cheeses - Muenster, Provolone, 2 kinds of Swiss, 2 different Cheddars.

8.Delie meats that include black forest ham, deli beef, home barbecued pork tenderloin, sliced deli thin, deli turkey, salami, capiacola, and calabrise. The only thing missing is the liverwurst.

9. Various veggies on a relish tray.

10. Non-alcoholic cocktails to toast in the New Year.

11. I have left over chocolate truffles that I made for Christmas, some filled with home-made caramel, some with home made cashew butter. There are also some home made chocolate squares made by tempering a blend of different brands of milk and semi-sweet chocolates to provide a silky smooth flavor that is somewhat sweeter than what you get in the store.

11. Home made Cream Soda made from fresh vanilla beans, Splenda (I'm diabetic so I have to make my own if I want cream soda. No one sells the stuff around here), and carbonated water.

By tomorrow night, you might just see and eclipse of the Nporthern Stars caused by our Northern bellies. I won't have to eat for a week after that meal. Good thing too. After purchasing my part of this feast, I'm broke.

But all is well. Pay-day is on Wednsday.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I tried Hoppin' John one new year and didn't care for it. Sorry.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Uncle Bob, all I can say is YUCK , cept for the cornbread part. What the heck is hog jowl and ham hocks? I'm guessing those are the jaw and feet of the pig? Enjoy! Not sure what I'll be making for dinner new years eve.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

GW "Pone" can mean several things. Sometimes it's small 3 or 4 in dia. shapes of fried bread, or at my house, and others in my extended family it is a term given to cornbread cooked in a cast iron skillet, usually a 10 inch one...sometimes an 8 inch one. When the bread is turned out on a plate it is a "pone" of bread which is then sliced into wedges, buttered and consumed. It also could be called "skillet bread". It realy depends on ones locations customs, and what is common in ones family.

This would be a 12 inch specimen.....

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:46 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
I wish I was with ya, UBob. With a nice jigger of Bourbon too.

have a great New Years!

I am not too sure what we will be eating on, but it should be good.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #10
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Am I the only one that will be eating black-eyed peas and hog jowl/ham hock/pork of some kind on New Years Day?????

I'll also have a pone of Cornbread that will make you wanna slap ya mammy!!
My peas are soaking as we speak, Uncle Bob.... My friend Renee is making the collards, and her daughter will be bringing the cornbread. Too bad you're so far away! Shall we save you a piece of Sweet Potato Pie?