Am I the only one?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started drinking coffee in my college days. At first I didn't like it and it tasted equally bad whether black, cream, sugar or both. I don't know why I kept drinking it (probably to wake up) but I figured if I was going to keep drinking it and it tasted bad anyway I might as well pick the easiest one to fix. I stuck with coffee black. I like the flavor these days. I guess it's an acquired taste.

Last edited:
I think when I was about 7 or 8 my parents talked me into trying no sugar in my hot beverages, tea and coffee. I think they wanted me to cut my sugar intake was I was pretty hyper. After a few days I acquired the unsweetened taste and have been drinking black ever since, including tea.

I feel lucky I don't like sugar or cream. I don't have to worry about the empty calories of sugar. I don't have to worry about the cream spoiling in the refrigerator. I don't have to concede to using some artificial creamer that doesn't taste as good. Black is simple.

I think when I was about 7 or 8 my parents talked me into trying no sugar in my hot beverages, tea and coffee. I think they wanted me to cut my sugar intake was I was pretty hyper. After a few days I acquired the unsweetened taste and have been drinking black ever since, including tea.

I'm a no sugar, no cream person when it comes to coffee or tea, which I don't drink too much, anyway. But my parents didn't feed them to me when I was a kid. Do you ever wonder how much was sugar and how much was caffein? At that age? Caffeine and sugar, at 7 years old?

I'm a no sugar, no cream person when it comes to coffee or tea, which I don't drink too much, anyway. But my parents didn't feed them to me when I was a kid. Do you ever wonder how much was sugar and how much was caffein? At that age? Caffeine and sugar, at 7 years old?
I consumed sodas too. They contained caffeine and sugar as well. There were no such thing as Diet Coke, which I consume daily today.

This is an interesting thread!

I am not opposed to adding things to old favorites or coming up with new combinations. The thing that bothers me is the use of artificial flavors to do it. We are exposed to so many artificial flavors that when we encounter the real thing it does not always measure up. The lemon is not lemony enough and the chocolate does not provide the ultimate chocolate experience etc... :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This is an interesting thread!

I am not opposed to adding things to old favorites or coming up with new combinations. The thing that bothers me is the use of artificial flavors to do it. We are exposed to so many artificial flavors that when we encounter the real thing it does not always measure up. The lemon is not lemony enough and the chocolate does not provide the ultimate chocolate experience etc... :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
I had a lot of fun figuring out how to use rhubarb in other dishes besides pie, cobbler, sauce. I would never have thought to combine rhubarb with cucumber, but it was very good. Nor would I have added rhubarb to curry. All the dishes were very tasty. Tonight, I tossed one stalk of chopped rhubarb in our tossed salad. Something I wouldn't have thought to do before. And, with 9 rhubarb plants, pie, cobbler, and sauce can get old really fast.

You might want to be careful about eating too much raw rhubarb. It contains oxalic acid which is toxic, although it's arguable that it would take eating a huge amount of rhubarb to notice the toxic effects. Might be particularly bad for pregnant women (the fetuses actually) but caution should be used when eating raw rhubarb.

Cooking destroys the toxic effects.

You might want to be careful about eating too much raw rhubarb. It contains oxalic acid which is toxic, although it's arguable that it would take eating a huge amount of rhubarb to notice the toxic effects. Might be particularly bad for pregnant women (the fetuses actually) but caution should be used when eating raw rhubarb.

Cooking destroys the toxic effects.
Most of it was cooked (4 stalks not, maybe 1/2 lb), and our research was 25 lb. re: toxicity. I used about 2 lb of rhubarb for the various dishes.

Back
Top Bottom