"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Am I the only one?

Am I the only person that thinks food flavors and products have gone too far? Now im not talking about experimenting with new things im talking about adding all sorts of mess to food that doesnt need it. Bacon for instance do we really need bacon icecream or bacon vodka(tho it rocks in a bloody mary) or of all things bacon lube(whos idea was that anyway) or do i really need 50 different flavors of hot wings or 35 burger toppings? whats wrong with these things the original way. Bacon is fine as bacon. burgers are best simple, quality meat,toasted bun,little onion and tomato and maybe some cheese. and wings? mild,hot or holy ****. Maybe im old fashioned but personally i feel the old recipes have worked this long lets leave them be. Rant over stepping off my soapbox

goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #2
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Yes. We need bacon. We need bacon in all forms, and varieties.

As for burger toppings, why not? I mean, if the options are there, that doesn't mean you have to choose what you don't want. If you want to go with what you know, then go for it. Personally, for me, it is all dependent on mood. If I am going out for a burger, I want a crusty, well seared(off a flat top) patty, med-rare, with some nice red onion, a single slice of thick, juicy, beefsteak tomato. a slice of sharp cheddar, all on a butter toasted brioche roll with a little mayo. If I am out and about, and can't seem to find anything that turns me on, I typically go for the burger. If they have the options, I will step it up, and try some stuff "just because". So far, I have been really pleased with how well guacamole goes with a burger, and I have fallen in LOVE with a burger at Gravity Burger that does an ancho chili rubbed burger, with a slice of cream cheese, sliced jalapenos, and crispy onions. It is really pretty darned good.

same with wings, imo. I love the, just as much as the next bar grub lover, but why not have options? You can go with what you like, but, wings, can get boring, so why not spruce 'em up.

Classics are classic, but, food would never evolve if it weren't for options, and Chefs saying, "you know what, this is good, BUT. . . you know what would be better?"

No one is forcing anyone to stray from what they are comfortable with, so if you don't like all the options, big deal, don't get 'em.

TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
+1 Tatt! I love bacon and swiss cheese on a burger. Blue cheese with beef. Lots of yummy ideas.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Not everyone's taste buds are the same. For example, some prefer things like garlic added to their mashed potatoes while others enjoy potatoes without such enhancements.
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Executive Chef
I agree that there are way too many things going on with basic food anymore. However, for those who enjoy it I say go for it and have a great time.

The sad part is that the basic good stuff is getting harder and harder to find and that makes me sad.

Example is the garlic potatoes ... I love garlic but not in my potatoes and it seems like asking for plain potatoes is like asking for a million dollars when we go out.

Add the extras, but please keep the basics.
MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM   #6
Chief Eating Officer
The more variety the better as far as I am concerned. Just because the original is good does not mean an altered version will not also be good. There is room enough in my world for as many different flavor combos as possible.

That being said, I saw something in the supermarket this weekend that made me agree for a second with the OP. They were apples, yes natural healthy delicious apples that grow in nature on a tree, that were flavored. Who the heck would want a pink bubblegum flavored apple???
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef
Originally Posted by goob View Post
Am I the only person...

Looks like you are!
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #8
Sous Chef
I think we get into trouble with all of the options and flavors when adding them is a substitute for using quality ingredients. "These apples stink. Let's add bubblegum flavoring so people will eat them." "Hmmm, how about super loaded mashed potatoes with bacon, cheese, onions, sour cream, and anything else we can think of that will mask the taste of instant potatoes..."
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Assistant Cook
Sprout you must have read my mind. Thats essentially what i was trying to say. I think we're adding to many ingredients and flavors and end up masking the original food flavor or like a certain burger joint here using subpar meat and masking it with all sorts of extras. Now bacon i will admit i have tried most every bacon flavored thing(except the lube thats just wrong) and enjoyed a large number of them but i still think bacon is best as bacon but as everyone said to each their own
goob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Master Chef
If we had the technology 50 years ago bacon flavor would have been added to many food items back then.

roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote