Am I too old to go back to school...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
Besides language, cooking has always been one of my favorite things to do. I am 53. The market for editors has not been great--everyone can write/edit (ha!). So, I've been looking at other things I can do, and of course, I want to do something I enjoy--if I can't play with words, I'd like to play with food. I can get into a culinary class starting January 2013. What would I do afterwards--probably work as a personal chef/caterer. Am I too old to embark on this path?

Besides language, cooking has always been one of my favorite things to do. I am 53. The market for editors has not been great--everyone can write/edit (ha!). So, I've been looking at other things I can do, and of course, I want to do something I enjoy--if I can't play with words, I'd like to play with food. I can get into a culinary class starting January 2013. What would I do afterwards--probably work as a personal chef/caterer. Am I too old to embark on this path?
No you are never to old, go for it and be proud. You can do this...
kades

I'm thinking it would give me the credibility to edit food magazines/cookbooks...I already have an M.A. in linguistics and experience as an editor and writer...and, I'd get to perfect my knife skills!

It's never too late to return to school.
I lost my job of 25 years in May of 2010, when the paper company I worked for decided to close the doors on the Franklin VA mill.
I decided to return to school and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have one more semester or so and I hope to graduate with an associates degree in computer information technology. I wish I had been this enthusiastic about school way back in the 70's.

Hoot said:
It's never too late to return to school.
I lost my job of 25 years in May of 2010, when the paper company I worked for decided to close the doors on the Franklin VA mill.
I decided to return to school and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. I have one more semester or so and I hope to graduate with an associates degree in computer information technology. I wish I had been this enthusiastic about school way back in the 70's.

This forum needs a "like" button lol

I'm only 26 and the thought of going back to school (which I'd like to do next fall) makes me groan, but I think you should always be trying to improve yourself, and I think it's great when people aren't afraid to take risks, regardless of age.

CWS, I can't speak for you, but I can tell you my story.

At 45 years old we sold our internet business and my dear husband said that if I wanted to follow my dream to go to culinary school I could use the proceeds to do this. It was the hardest thing I ever did in my life - I was almost 30 years older than the youngest in the class, I had FM, arthritis, back fracture, struggled with depression and many other health issues. I barely squeaked by but I did it and will never regret it. I had a short but wonderful career in catering and still do some consulting in that area. I have my cakes to keep me going financially and make me feel like I am still able to do something!

You have to make the decision yourself and I am not going to sugar coat and say it is easy, but if it is something you really have a passion for and you go in knowing the obstacles, you will have the time of your life!

Another vote in the "Go for it" column from me. I am 54 and just finished my first year as a sign language interpreter. After a long successful career in nursing, I needed a change and went back to school. I was the oldest in my classes. Most of the students were my kids ages! But I loved the subject and enjoyed learning new things. I had a wonderful time this school year working with a high school student. It's never too late to do something you want to do!

Another vote in the "Go for it" column from me. I am 54 and just finished my first year as a sign language interpreter. After a long successful career in nursing, I needed a change and went back to school. I was the oldest in my classes. Most of the students were my kids ages! But I loved the subject and enjoyed learning new things. I had a wonderful time this school year working with a high school student. It's never too late to do something you want to do!
+1

And I finally twigged to your avatar.

If you want it, and can afford it, go for it. I'm with Andy, only you can really answer it. I, personally, can't imagine it (57), but then, any time I tried to go back to school, I had to work more than full time to afford the basics. By the time I could afford it, I could quit working and was, in a word, relieved.

That said, you are never too old to learn, period. If it is something you really want to do, press on. Even if you don't get a career out of it, you will enjoy the process.

Of course you're too old to embark on a new career. You should simply lay down and quietly wait to expire.

Are you kidding me? I wish I could afford to go to school to start a new career, and I am almost 64 years old. Although I had to start collecting my social security in order to survive, I am not ready to stop working. I don't fish and I hate golf so the last thing I want to do is to retire. I will embark on a new career path, but I just can't decide what I want to be when I grow up!

Of course you're too old to embark on a new career. You should simply lay down and quietly wait to expire.:LOL:
Since I've only been self-employed, I don't foresee "retiring" until I can no longer work, that being, until I can no longer convince clients to hire me. Unless you want to be a brain surgeon, going back to school is still an option or buying a business or ... learning how to golf and fish?;)

"Most of the students were my kids ages!" That's one of the perqs of going back to school. We need young friends. I'm older than the mothers of about 1/3 of my friends. :ermm: :LOL:

When my Dad's mom was a bit over a hundred, she didn't really care if she lived much longer. She had outlived all of her friends; made friends with their kids and they were dying off.

CWS,

One is never too old to learn and thus, It is never too late to fulfill your dreams or desires ...

53 is mid life today ... My Mom is 95 ... 53 is not old by any means, it is how you care for yourself and your positiveness or lack of it.

I was born in 1962, and certainly do not consider myself old by any means.

Best of luck,
Margi.

Never too old to go back to school, or try a new path in life. I went back to school (Adult & Community College in my 30s). I took computer classes, start your own biz seminars, fun classes, a career planning course, & courses to embark on/or learn a new or another career. Community college is great. There are classes that range from exercise & decorating T-shirts to travelling/boat outtings to vinyards, etc. Great experience, made lots of new friends. You have nothing to lose & everything to gain. Good luck & keep us posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
CWS and Laurie, I wanted you to know that your stories have inspired me to go to culinary school as well. I left my job as a web technologies manager a couple of months ago because of chronic health issues and constant high stress at work that made my health worse. I've been trying to figure out what to do next and I think this is it :) I also came across this video in the last couple of days that got me really excited about the idea as well: WATCH: How to Butcher a Pig

I've always been good at writing and editing, and photography is one of my hobbies. So combining these with a culinary arts degree would set me up for a new career that I would love. I also like the idea of being a personal chef. I used to work at a medical school - there are lots of well-off people with little free time there.

So I have an appt with the admissions rep from the Culinary Institute of Virginia this morning at 11.

btw, I'm 49 :)

+1 Go for it! I'm waiting to see if I can get in for January at the local school. I can't afford Cordon Bleu courses. I'm thinking food editor/writer since I'm already an editor/writer.

+1 Go for it! I'm waiting to see if I can get in for January at the local school. I can't afford Cordon Bleu courses. I'm thinking food editor/writer since I'm already an editor/writer.

I'm thinking about that direction, too. I took a food-writing class at a local writers' center last fall and really enjoyed it. I may do both :) I could be a personal chef, to keep up the skills and practice, and that experience would reinforce the food-writing/editing skills.

Back
Top Bottom