"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-13-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Executive Chef

AMA wants warning labels on high-salt food

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060613/...t_doctors_salt

Quote:
Foods considered high in salt are those with more than 480 milligrams of sodium per serving, according to the AMA report. That includes hot dogs, some canned soups, a slice of packaged pepperoni pizza, an order of chicken chow mein and a cheeseburger, according to a food chart accompanying the council report.
I 100% agree with them. Put it right on front of the package that this is a high sodium food.

Since allmost all fast food is high in sodium, put the warning label on all the food wrappers as well!!!

I wonder if a frozen Pizza nutritional label will now say that 1/11 of the pizza is a serving size just to get under the 480 milligram limit if passed???? Who eats 1/11 of a frozen pizza anyway.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
That's good for people like me who have high blood pressure. Although it makes me think people are too lazy to turn the can around to read the label.

Old 06-13-2006, 07:54 PM   #3
Executive Chef

But I do do not think many people know that 480 milligrams of sodium per serving is high.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #4
Sous Chef

If you read ALL of the info on the package, hopefully, many adults could figure out that if the recommended daily allowance for sodium is 2400mg, then 480 mg is about 1/5 of what you should have in a entire day. Unfortunately there are many that could not, therefore something like is suggested by the article could make those people aware that the food may not be a very good choice.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:31 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060613/...t_doctors_salt

I 100% agree with them. Put it right on front of the package that this is a high sodium food.

Since allmost all fast food is high in sodium, put the warning label on all the food wrappers as well!!!

I wonder if a frozen Pizza nutritional label will now say that 1/11 of the pizza is a serving size just to get under the 480 milligram limit if passed???? Who eats 1/11 of a frozen pizza anyway.

Salt is only bad for people who have sodium-related hypertension, which is really a pretty small slice of the population. It's not even bad for everyone who has high blood pressure. And it is an essential nutrient for your nerves to work properly (!), and makes things taste good. I will admit there are a lot of other bad things in fast or convenience food, but sodium isn't necessarily one of them.

I know, it's heresy, but if you don't believe me, research it and prove me wrong. And I mean real research, not just "evidence" from websites that spout the dogma of the day. I mean, fer Pete's sake! Salty is one of the four things the human tongue can taste. (Count 'em. Four. Sweet, sour, salty, bitter.) You think this is because it's bad for us?

Sorry to be such an old so & so, and I'm not attacking you personally, but this is one of my major pet-peeves. Please don't just accept everything "they" tell you. Nothing personal, this one just pushes my "hot" button.

Kelly
Old 06-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I agree with Kelly. According to my doctor, only about 5% of the population will have a blood pressure problem casused by sodium excess. The problem is not being able to determine if you're one of the 5%.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:16 AM   #7
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyM
I mean, fer Pete's sake! Salty is one of the four things the human tongue can taste. (Count 'em. Four. Sweet, sour, salty, bitter.) You think this is because it's bad for us?
I agree with a lot of what you said (to a degree) in your post Kelly, but this statement above I do not agree with at all. One of the other 5 (yes there are actually 5 not 4 tastes) is bitter. While not all things bitter are bad, a lot are. You taste bitter specifically (but not solely) because it is bad for you. In nature, a lot of plants and berries and other things are bitter because they are poisonous and that is an indication to stay away from them.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:42 AM   #8
Master Chef

In 1994, 480 mg of sodium was considered "healthy"

I am a big proponent of properly seasoning food (eg, with salt), but too much sodium (like way too much) can cause fluid retention and other problems that may not be as serious as hypertension, but are bad nonetheless.

And the 5 tastes discernable are sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami
Old 06-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Whatever happened to a healthy, well rounded diet. If you're diet consists mostly of frozen pizza and fast food, sodium should be the least of your worries. A Big Mac value meal has 1100 calories and 46 grams of fat. That's far worse than the 1000 mg of salt.

As a side note, Big Mac sauce will stain your skin. In my youth, my roommate and I worked at a McDonalds. During a rush, he got some Big Mac sauce on his arm and didn't wipe it off immediately. He ended up with an orange spot on his arm that didn't wash off, it had to wear off.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:44 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyapti
Whatever happened to a healthy, well rounded diet. If you're diet consists mostly of frozen pizza and fast food, sodium should be the least of your worries. A Big Mac value meal has 1100 calories and 46 grams of fat. That's far worse than the 1000 mg of salt.

As a side note, Big Mac sauce will stain your skin. In my youth, my roommate and I worked at a McDonalds. During a rush, he got some Big Mac sauce on his arm and didn't wipe it off immediately. He ended up with an orange spot on his arm that didn't wash off, it had to wear off.
I will agree that the fat is worse than the sodium, but America just can't become sodium junkies either.