"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-09-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Amazon Groceries

I just found this site Im still not sure what to think of it they carry only non perishables its all sold by the case but they do carry some interesting spices,oils etc that I for one cant get here I dont know if the prices are better or not but its free shipping on any order over $25.00. I found some interesting imported stuff like season mixes and rubs from Africa.Nut oils and so on.Check it out.Amazon.com Grocery: Snacks, Cookies and Candy, Coffee and Tea, Natural & Organic, Baby Care, Household, Pet Supplies & more Grocery:
Alot of the stuff is just regular stuff from the store but like I said they do have some hard to find items.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:36 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks, jp. I did some "grazing" and think there may be some things Buck and I could use. We live in a very rural area and getting some things that aren't even too unusual are a bit difficult to get.

Old 09-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks for mentioning this. I never knew that Amazon carried groceries.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I just spent more time looking around when you click on some thing like pasta and rice they just show the best selling brands if you look to the left you can click the see more on bottom they have the alphabet click a letter for brands with that letter.They have some great rices like bamboo green and they carry alot of gluten free pastas and other gluten free products for those that cant eat gluten.Im starting to like this site they carry hundreds of brands.Oh they carry quite a bit of organic products also.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

did anyone else think "giant female produce"!?
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
Not sure what you mean by that.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:41 AM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post

BT, I think you'r e the only one. With the popularity of the internet. Mentally connecting (linking) Amazon with large women doesn't happen as much as it used to.

I guess you're showing your age.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Master Chef

Warning: you may be sucked into a hole of amusement for quite some time because of this.

Amazon.com sells (or used to) "Tuscan" brand fresh milk. They mail it to you. Obviously preposterous.

Because this is so ridiculous, people started posting funny reviews. There are currently almost 1000 reviews for Amazon's Tuscan Milk. Many are very clever. Some are poems or very short stories, even. I seriously doubt that more than a handful even bought the stuff.

Amazon's Tuscan Milk reviews have acquired a sort-of cult following.
The New York Times even wrote an article avout it.

It seems that Amazon has had to take down the Tuscan Milk page, but you can find it by going here and clicking on the cached version of Tuscan Milk reviews (the first entry)
Old 09-10-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
I just found this site Im still not sure what to think of it they carry only non perishables its all sold by the case but they do carry some interesting spices,oils etc that I for one cant get here I dont know if the prices are better or not but its free shipping on any order over $25.00. I found some interesting imported stuff like season mixes and rubs from Africa.Nut oils and so on.Check it out.Amazon.com Grocery: Snacks, Cookies and Candy, Coffee and Tea, Natural & Organic, Baby Care, Household, Pet Supplies & more Grocery:
Alot of the stuff is just regular stuff from the store but like I said they do have some hard to find items.
Thanks for the link, jpm. The internet is a great resource for on line ordering/shopping & saves time. I don't buy in large quantities, so will peruse the site when I have more time to look around. At first glance, looks mostly like dry/canned foods. Reminded me of a site called net grocer. If you have a chance, check it out. Thanks again.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Warning: you may be sucked into a hole of amusement for quite some time because of this.

Amazon.com sells (or used to) "Tuscan" brand fresh milk. They mail it to you. Obviously preposterous.

Because this is so ridiculous, people started posting funny reviews. There are currently almost 1000 reviews for Amazon's Tuscan Milk. Many are very clever. Some are poems or very short stories, even. I seriously doubt that more than a handful even bought the stuff.

Amazon's Tuscan Milk reviews have acquired a sort-of cult following.
The New York Times even wrote an article avout it.

It seems that Amazon has had to take down the Tuscan Milk page, but you can find it by going here and clicking on the cached version of Tuscan Milk reviews (the first entry)
Thanks so much for posting this. It's the funniest thing I've read in a long time.