Amazon is Buying Whole Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly, this is no surprise to me, and I can see how it fits into Amazon's overall strategy.

The Whole Foods target market is younger (under 40) college educated people with higher incomes. These people are internet savvy and love to shop online, whenever possible.

Amazon has been gradually getting into the home delivery grocery business for a couple of years, now. But, until now, when you ordered food from Amazon, you didn't know (or have a choice) where it came from. That doesn't matter too much if you want to order a box of Cheerios or a jar of Ragu. It's all the same. However, if you want to order produce, bread or meat, it makes a BIG difference to many buyers.

The people who are most likely to order food online will be far more likely to order if from Amazon if they know it's going to come to their house from Whole Foods rather than from Wal*Mart.

Walmart bought Jet. They have always sold household cleaning products. Then when Walmart purchased the company, food became available. I only purchase name brand household products, and never food on line. You always hear about how inexpensive the food is at Walmart, never how fresh.

As a geezer in a city with poor public transportation, I'm interested in how this shakes out. Not overly optimistic though.

Walmart bought Jet. They have always sold household cleaning products. Then when Walmart purchased the company, food became available. I only purchase name brand household products, and never food on line. You always hear about how inexpensive the food is at Walmart, never how fresh.

Walmart going into the deep end for website companies selling goods.

Back
Top Bottom